• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Main Series Games do YOU personally think had the best story?

ORAS!! I loved its emphasis on characters and the way they could react to certain situations, all of them have a different view of the world they live in, and all of them have good traits and bad traits. The postgame was even better, I loved the idea behind it and the climax, even if its planning wasn't the best. A worthy follow-up of the superb "Looker Chapters" that filled my expectations.

In my opinion B2W2 was decent, I liked how they took Unova's story and made it even more unique with many unexpected elements. However, it was repetitive at some times (Hugh...) and the "Reformed Team Plasma" didn't do much.

I didn't played BW1.

Gen five has the best story telling and actually followed a proper storyline outside the get 8 badges. The story actually felt more important than getting badges.

Was annoyed with the "We'll continue the story after you get your eight badge!".

FU Hugh!

Black and White, no contest. Also, Black2 and White2 very close behind.

The Team Plasma plot is one of the best. The whole game is very story-oriented involving truth and ideals even when Team Plasma isn't involved. N, Cheren, Bianca, and Hugh all had amazing personal stories to tell.

Gen 5, for its main story and the characters, the lore of the region and the legendaries, and the execution of those aspects. It made for a fun experience that was enjoyable not only from a gameplay perspective, but also from a story one, and I'm glad that they went down that route for the BW games.

After them would either be ORAS' main plotline for the expansion on a number of the characters underdeveloped previously, and Platinum for also improving DP's storyline, which made for some memorable characters.

Black & White, for all the reasons everyone has already listed. The B2W2 storyline only helped to flesh an already great story out even further.

I'm going to go with the majority of the people on this thread and go with Gen 5...But only for second, though. My personal favorite story is Platinum (It's always Platinum with me, yes, I know xD). I just love Team Galactic as a whole, and Cyrus doesn't help it: I adore Cyrus, and I thought he was a very interesting character. I would have loved to see more of his story (but then again, I'd love to hear more about the team leaders and their stories anyways). Gen 5 is very close behind, though. ♥ N and Ghestis are also very interesting team leaders...I'd love to hear more of their story, too.
Gen 6 and 2 are close behind, too, but I've come to appreciate Gen 3 alot more after OR/AS.

Since most of the story in the series boils down to the villainous teams, I share the general sentiment that Black and White have the best story due to the frequent plot developments and N's character arc. But Ghetsis' "hidden" motivation only served to detract from the overall theme, as did B2W2 as a whole since the cat was already out of the bag (and only Hugh and Cheren had any lasting involvement with the Plasma story). I don't think Unova was wrapped up well, and I am no longer interested in it.

In terms of lore, Johto is my favorite region and I think Crystal did it more justice than HGSS later did. Crystal's presentation of Ecruteak's history, the Ruins of Alph and GS Ball captivated my imagination more than anything else in the entire franchise. I just hope that these elements are incorporated into a future game's story one day, since Crystal deliberately didn't delve into them and HGSS arguably made things worse.

Silktree said:
In terms of lore, Johto is my favorite region and I think Crystal did it more justice than HGSS later did. Crystal's presentation of Ecruteak's history, the Ruins of Alph and GS Ball captivated my imagination more than anything else in the entire franchise. I just hope that these elements are incorporated into a future game's story one day, since Crystal deliberately didn't delve into them and HGSS arguably made things worse.
... How did HGSS made things "worse" when they had everything crystal had ?

The tin tower was replaced by the bell tower
Which had nothing to do with the legendary beasts.

and the GS events were replaced by the event of celebi that showed you silver's past (which, in my opinion, is much better than the GS ball).
They could have explained Silver's past in any number of ways without time travel. The HGSS event had little to do with Johto's lore; Celebi was just a plot device.

That Celebi event honestly still gripes my panties. Why couldn't they have made that Red/Giovanni revelation something already in-game? And no, a Rocket grunt in FR/LG mentioning his kid "having red hair" ain't good enough. Good lord, if a fan didn't have access to that event, they'd be screwed out of a plot device if they didn't look it up on the Internet.

That Celebi event honestly still gripes my panties. Why couldn't they have made that Red/Giovanni revelation something already in-game? And no, a Rocket grunt in FR/LG mentioning his kid "having red hair" ain't good enough. Good lord, if a fan didn't have access to that event, they'd be screwed out of a plot device if they didn't look it up on the Internet.

I thought it was a cop out too. I would like to think that the official revelation of Silver being Giovanni's son (not to mention an appearance of sorts by Giovanni himself) is important enough to warrant seeing in-game. Unfortunately the nearest Celebi distribution to me in 2010 was many miles away so I ultimately missed out on the event. It's a shame that Youtube has been the only (legitimate) means of seeing this plot point play out ever since.

My personal favourite game(s) for story would have to be DPPt. Sinnoh is so enriched with lore and mythology that to this day I feel I may find something new. The motives of Cyrus and Team Galactic are generic as far as Pokemon plot goes, but the way in which the story progresses and culminates at the top of Spear Pillar still sends shivers down my spine. The Mirage Trio and the presence of their lakes add a sense of mystique and wonder all throughout the player's journey, and even after Team Galactic are thwarted there are other Legendary/Mythical Pokemon that have their own stories to tell.

I would like to give a mention to Black and White which are probably objectively the definitive games for plot so far, however I don't have as much attachment to these games having only played my copies of White and White 2 through just once. The other games also have their own unique plot points that draw me in, so I wouldn't say there is one game that I don't fully enjoy for its story.

Black/White and Black 2/White 2 had the best story. Team Flare and their plans were pretty interesting and having to battle the other legendary Dragon that N has was incredible. Seeing Kyurem merge with Reshiram/Zekrom and the main character having to battle it was quite fantastic. Platinum was also pretty good, cut scenes were amazing and seeing Giratina appearing at Spear Pillar was worth remembering. Cyrus summoning both Dialga and Palkia and going through the distortion world also made the story more interesting. Emerald is another game with a great story (better than ORAS in my opinion) because it involved both Team Magma and Aqua. Rayquaza having to stop the battle between Groudon and Kyogre was incredible for the story.

Black and White. It's a shame Generation VI went back to an extremely simplified story line like in the early games.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom