Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
A sister to the "misspelling" thread, this one is for the ones which you have a habit of pronouncing a different way.

For me, it would be a few of the following:

Arceus - \ˈɑɹsiəs\ (\ˈɑɹkiəs\ is official)
Giratina - \ˌjiɹəˈtinə\ (\ˌgiɹəˈtinə\ is official)

Lugia - \ˈluˈgiə\ (\ˈlugiˌə\ is official)

If possible, use the IPA when listing your pronunciations (For example, Arceus = \ˈɑɹsiəs\ is the way I do it). Otherwise, if you cba or think I'm just being pedantic, just give an approximate key (for example, Arceus = are-see-us is the way I do it.) Or, just say you mispronounce the word and be done with it.

So, the approximate keys (all caps = stressed):

Arceus - ARE-see-us (ARK-key-us is official)
Giartina - _jeer-a-TI-na (_gear-a-TI-na is official)
Lugia - LU-GI-a (LU-gi-a is official)

My friends use \luˈgiə\ (lu-GI-a, the second syllable is stressed). I got influenced by them.

Reaction score
I still pronounce Silph as Sliph

But I also pronounce Deoxys as Deox-zes

And Regice as Reg Ice

Mari-yo Puyo
Reaction score
Definitely Regice, as "Rare-guys", due to the lack of double letters to make it clearer. Oh, and also Xatu, with the first syllable pronounced the same way as Xavier, which if you don't know, I pronounced it as "Zay-Too".

Reaction score
Hmm...

Oh yeah Illumise, I do not understand how the proper pronounciation is like that... I always say "Il-loom-eyes", thinking it's better. And I get annoyed every time I hear it the official way in the anime.

Natu and Xatu I say as "Nattu"- as in "at", not "Nah-too", same applies with "Zattu"

Giratina is kind of a subtle difference, but I say "Girra-tina" instead of "Gear-uh-tina"

Sig By Blue Dragon
Reaction score
Natu, Xatu, Rayquaza, (As Ruh-QUAY-zah) and Arceus are the main four I say differently.

Last edited:
DAAAAARLING
Reaction score
I don't know where I got this (and I'm trying to break the habit), but I say Rayquaza as Ruh-QUAY-zuh.

I also say Arceus "ARE-C-us" but that comes from the fact that I know it's supposed to be a soft c.

Zetsubou
Reaction score
I also say Arceus "ARE-C-us" but that comes from the fact that I know it's supposed to be a soft c.
Yeah I pronounce it the same way. I Don't understand why did they had to give the C a K sound in the Movie.

._.
Reaction score
Lol at guy in GAME add. "The new Pokemon Our-Chaos, the God Pokemon." I prononuce it Are-see-us. Another one is Suicune. I pronounce it Swee-coon. I heard someone pronounce it Sue-seen. Lulz. Raikou? Um Rye-(rhymes with tie) coo.

Super Nerd
Reaction score
For most of the legends, I completely ignore the "official" way given by PUSA or P International or even 4Kids when they dubbed, whoever. They mess up the Japanese names terribly. D:

Rai-koh
Swee-coon
En-tie
Ray-qua-za
Ky-oger (This one is just weird though. I've heard "Ky-o-gree, but then why would they give it one e?)
Die-al-ga (From "Dial" like a sundial.)
Gi-ra-ti-na (If the "official" source says "Gear-i-tina," throw something at them.)
Ar-see-us (ARK-ee-us sounds rather dumb, and ARCH-ee-us would have been better, even with the lack of a k...)

Man, Myth, Legend
Reaction score
Arceus: Ar-see-us
Dialga: Dye-all-guh
Pidgeotto: Pidg-ee-oh-toh (Although the franchise goes back and forth on this)
Kyogre: Kie-oh-egrr
Rotom: Roh-tum
Victreebel: Victory-bell
Paras: Paris (As in the city)
Suicune: Swee-cune
Tangela: Tanj-ella

Loch Ness Monster
Reaction score
Patchirisu - Patch-hee-ree-soo
Rayquaza - Ray-QUAY-zuh
Arceus - Ar-see-yhus

<FONT FACE=”vivaldi”>Boo.</FONT FACE>
Reaction score
I pronounce Rayquaza as: Ray-QWA-Zah

I pronounce Arceus as: Are-SEE-Us

I pronounce Suicune as: Swee-CUNE

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Rayquaza, (As Ruh-QUAY-zah)
Isn't that the official pronunciation? (\ɹəˈkweɪzɑ\, as you put it)

I've always pronounced it as \ɹeiˈkwɑzə\ (Ray-QUAH-zuh). There's another one.

@Blaah: I pronounce Illumise the same way, coincidentally. I've never heard the way that 4Kids/TPC/PUSA pronounces it.

Reaction score
I say "Rick-wahza" instead of the whole "ray" thing. But that probably has to do with my accent.

@Blaah: I pronounce Illumise the same way, coincidentally. I've never heard the way that 4Kids/TPC/PUSA pronounces it.
Yeah they say "Ill-loom-ee-zay", which sounds pretty stupid IMO, lol.

Perfect Nonsense
Reaction score
I always pronouce Wynaut Wynaughty, ever since I nicknamed one Wynaughty, it just stuck.