• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

i still dont know how you are suppoed to say Arceus's name
i watched the movie a few days ago and they called it AR- KEY-US
ive always refered to it as : AR-SAY-US, or AR-SEE-YUS and the first time i saw it i pronounced it: AR-KAY-US. so i dont know its a confusing name for me evn though i like the pokemon itself. I now call it AR-SAY-US and sometimes or AR- SEE-US. it drives me crazy.

Kyogre- i used to say KEY-Ogre
now i think its KAI-ogre ( it is sopposed to be ogre as in shrek the ogre right? if not ive been saying it wrong for years.

Giratina- JEE-RA- tina

Suicune: SOO- wee- koon

Arecus, I say R-sea-Oss ( Like us, but O.

I can say Arecus when I see it spelt.

I'm glad I always use the original Japanese names where mispronouncing a word is litterally impossible (provided you have some knowledge of the language of course).

But I'm also guilty pronouncing Arceus as Ar - sey - us instead of Arkeeus or whatever they call it. Or Dusknoir as Dusk - noy -er, and even worse, without the british accent. :/

I used to say Arceus name as Acherus, which is the name of a necropolis in world of warcraft. When I first saw the name of the pokemon I thought it was spelled acerus, I'm a bit dyslexic :lol:

I'm glad I always use the original Japanese names where mispronouncing a word is litterally impossible (provided you have some knowledge of the language of course).
Isn't the Japanese word for Grandmother the same as Aunt with extra emphasis on one vowel?

Also...
Suicune - Soy-Coon. Dunno why. I use Soy-coon and Swee-coon interchangeably.
Arceus - Are-Key-Us like the movie. Although PBR pronounces it Ar-See-us.

I used to pronounce Illumise 'Illume-i-say' until I saw the anime.

Groudon: Groo-don
Pidgeotto: Pidgey-oh-to
Rattata: Rat-uh-tat. I stumbled through the t's as a kid and didn't noticed it ended with a vowel. I preferred my pronunciation.
Raikou: Ry-koo
Entei: En-tay
Suicune: Soo-E-coon
Latias: Laddy-aws

But I'm also guilty pronouncing Arceus as Ar - sey - us instead of Arkeeus or whatever they call it. Or Dusknoir as Dusk - noy -er, and even worse, without the british accent. :/

It is Dusk-noir as in "noir", French for Black, right? Because that's how I pronounce it.

For some reason I have an odd habit of calling the surskit evolution family wrong.

Surskit: Sir-sis-cue-it
Masquerain: Mask-or-rain

D:

A fair amount, mostly when i've used the name for a while and think the other pronunciation is ugly.

Notable ones: Arceus (Pronouced like in the original Japanese) and Rayquaza (Ray-Kwah-Zah).

Rattata - RAH-tah-tah-tah - Like a bullet noises. I didn't notice the spelling until today.

Arceus - AR-see-us - WTF? I thought this was how it was pronounced officially.

Pachirisu - PAH-CHAH-ree-soo - Idk, I think it has to do with my accent (or lack thereof)

Foretress - FOR-tress - Meh. Not too bad. Easily mistakable.

Giratina - JEER-ah-tee-nah - Just like everybody else.

Illumise - ILL-oom-ais - The official way sounds very latin.

Tropius - TROH-pee-us - If i'm not mistaken, they say TRAH-pee-us officially.

Bibarel - BEE-beh-rel - I've heard other people say BIB-a-rel.

I think that's it.

This has been done before, y'know.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=58591

And it wasn't too long ago.

My post from that thread:

I derive my pronunciation of Pokemon names based on my first impression of the name, the derivative of the parts composed in the name, the proper phonetic pronunciation of the name, and the official name based on the anime.

Impression: Flaafy. I say the name as if it was spelled normally, 'flaffy'.

Parts: Wingull. I don't try to combine the words "wing" and "gull" into a single word, because it doesn't fit right. So I just say 'Winggull' -- together but separate.

Phoetic: Mawile. Derived from 'maw' and 'wile', but to say 'Mawwile' as if there were two W's is crippling. So I just say it like it's spelled: 'Mah-while'

Official: Suicune. Yes, I used to say 'Sooh-ih-khwoon' but stopped as the official name was implanted in my mind.

Sometimes it's best to ignore official pronunciations as they can conflict with your first impression, or just end up being plain wrong. Like Raikou. It's not a '-ku' sound at the end; however, they've had many interpretations for that name.

How about Bagon? 'Bay-gon'? Or when they add double letter sounds when there shouldn't be. They say "Toxicroak" properly, but then say Spiritomb as 'Spirittomb'.

'Be-Barrel' or 'Bih-barel'? Who decided it was 'wee-vile' and not 'wee-vihl'. And how many of you actually had to hear the word 'Lickilicky' in the show before you could say it yourselves?

Another fine example. My first impression of Dialga sounded like the word 'dial', used for when you want to dial a phone. And now I say 'Dee'.

Ooh, here's another one: Turtwig becomes Turt-wig, not Tur-twig, when I pronounce it. No idea why.

My accent influences how I say things, and so does the anime.

Regice - I used to say 'Reg-ice', but then I watched that movie so it became 'Reg-ee-ice'.

Giratina - 'Gear-ah-teen-ah', like the anime.

Rayquaza - 'Ray-quah-za', not 'Ray-quey-za', 'cuz I'm British.

Dialga - 'Die-al-ga', for the above reason. I heard they say it 'Dee-al-ga' on PBR but that just didn't sound right.

Entei - 'En-tey'. Before my brother + anime, 'En-tai'

Arceus - 'Are-see-oos', because that's how I started saying it and then PBR backed me up. Screw the movie.

When I was young and foolish, I used to call Suicune 'Soo-ih-sign', like suicide DX But then that movie popped up, and the guy was like 'Swee-coon!', and my brothers and I were like 'Oh.'

When I was young and foolish, I used to call Suicune 'Soo-ih-sign', like suicide DX But then that movie popped up, and the guy was like 'Swee-coon!', and my brothers and I were like 'Oh.'

It seems that a lot of people kept calling it "Suicine" for no apparent reason. Two of my friends had that problem too. Back when I was in Grade 3, no less.

My accent influences how I say things, and so does the anime.

Regice - I used to say 'Reg-ice', but then I watched that movie so it became 'Reg-ee-ice'.

Giratina - 'Gear-ah-teen-ah', like the anime.

Rayquaza - 'Ray-quah-za', not 'Ray-quey-za', 'cuz I'm British.

Dialga - 'Die-al-ga', for the above reason. I heard they say it 'Dee-al-ga' on PBR but that just didn't sound right.

Entei - 'En-tey'. Before my brother + anime, 'En-tai'

Arceus - 'Are-see-oos', because that's how I started saying it and then PBR backed me up. Screw the movie.

We pronounce almost everything the same! XD

Not quite the same topic, though. That was about names and how they're pronounced, this is specifically about which names you pronounce differently.
And yet if you read it, everyone was giving their own pronunciations anyway, just like this thread.

Tons of threads get closed, and tons stay open, so does it matter in the end? Clearly not. Obviously nothing is going to happen to this thread at the least.

I have a radical pronounceation for buziel. I pronounce it BUU-WEE-ZEL. I have no idea why I say that, maybe I must have misread it when I first heard it, and I called that.

Arceus is the main Pokémon whose name I pronounce differently. Ar-see-us sounds better than the "correct" way.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom