Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

Vanishment th!s world
Reaction score
i'm still mispronouncing arceus, when i see arceus i pronounce /arseus/, but sometimes i'm pronouncing the official one..

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I say Phione as FI-ohn (like phone). Not Fee-Oh-Neeee. Because calling the episode "Hold the FI-ohn" makes more sense than "Hold the Fee-Oh-Neeee".

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Phione=Fee-own
Kyogre=Kai-oh-gurr
Giratina=Gurr-at-in-ah
Dialga=Die-all-gah

Reaction score
I pronounce Buizel as "buy-sell", more or less (can't think of anything in English that sounds like how I pronounce the ui sound). I'm pronouncing it as though it were Dutch (which is my native language). I would transcribe it in IPA but I can't be bothered to go find the right symbols so nyah. P:

Last edited:
memes
Reaction score
I misprenounce Arceus wrong in my head. I pronounce it normally when saying it though.

Also I still hear many people mispronouncing Lyra's name. They say something like ko-to-ne. I have no idea how people would read that in her name though.

Shiny Huntress
Reaction score
For the Nidoran lines, I always say 'nehh-do' instead of 'nee-do'. I pronounce Phanpy as 'fan-fee'. Until recently, I pronounced Regigigas as 'ruh-jehh-jehh-gaas'. Mm, I probably pronounce a lot of others wrong, but those are really the only ones I could think of right now.

IMG

i'm glasses
Reaction score
Suicune as Su-e-cune.

Lugia as Looh Gee Uhh

And arecus as Ar Ee Cuss.

Do it, like an Animal...
Reaction score
For the first 2 years that DP were out, I pronounced Dialga's name as (die-ah-gla). It wasn't til the first movie that I learned it was (di-al-ga).

Last edited:
yandere=awesome
Reaction score
I mainly stick with the Japanese names nowadays, and in Japanese, things are pronounced exactly as they're spelled. Though, I do like to think that Rayquaza, since its romanization was apparently the same in both versions, was meant to be pronounced in an English-speaking context as "Reh-kah-zah" instead of the "Rey-kway-zah" that the official media's got (Rayquaza looks to have had some influence from the Aztec Quetzalcoatl, so it wouldn't be that unusual to pronounce a "qu" as a "k"). Also, I don't know where Nintendo of America got that hard "K" sound for Arceus even after they pronounced it correctly in Battle Revolution. Though, it's all kind of a moot point since I don't talk about Pokemon much in real life (or am much of an active initiator of social conversation at all, really).

Politoed Lover
Reaction score
As many others, "Arceus" comes out "AR-see-uss." I actually didn't realize it was wrong until now, haha... XD Um, other than that all I can think of is Bonsly, which I say as "bons-lee," like how they say it in the one movie (forgot which). It was the first time I heard its name aloud, and I thought it was accurate until I looked it up. XD I don't say it "bon-sly" (like bonsai, almost) because I think it sounds silly, and the voice actor for Bonsly in the movie made it sound sooo cuuute. <333

Terrible Blaziken no. 827
Reaction score
Deoxys: dee-OX-eyes
Groudon: GROW-don
Milotic: mi-LOT-ic
Arceus: ARK-yus
Pikachu: god-CHUUUUU

Last edited:
Reaction score
I pronounce Arceus as ARC-eh-us or ARC-ee-us. I use these two back & forth. I pronounce it like that because a "c" is always pronounced like the English "k" in Latin. (The Latin language rarely uses "k." In fact, the only example I can think of is "Karthago," meaning Carthage.)
For a while, I called Kangaskhan "KANG-za-kan" because I picked it up from my brother. I stopped calling it that when I realized that wasn't how it's supposed to be pronounced. On the topic of mispronunciation & my brother, he once pronounced "yacht" as YATCH-et. :)

On a Stranded Shore
Reaction score
Gible for me is GUY-bul because Gib-bul just sounds ridiculous.
Arceus for me = ARE-see-us
Giratina for me = Dji-ra-tee-nah (which sounds like an eastern delicacy :p)
Milotic with either the emphasis on MI or LO, I interchange those constantly.

That's about it.

Former Slythe
Reaction score
Arceus- ar see us
Giratina- guy rant tina
Spiritomb- spirit tom

There's a few others but I can't remember

Wish Maker
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've got the Pokemon names down, but I used to butcher Rattata. I used to pronounce it Rat-a-tat when I was little. XD

Every other one is fake
Reaction score
Dialga for me is pronounced as dEYEalga as opposed to dEEalga and raikou for me is ryekoo

Reaction score
I usually don't care for the "official ways" to pronounce their names, as I pronounce them however I think they are at first. After that, even if I'm completely wrong, I'll keep to my ways. Here's my list:

Sceptile: (skep-tile) -I don't like the official (cep-tile) form, it doesn't sound as cool.
Arceus: (ar-see-us)
Dialga: (die-al-ga)
Pidgeotto: (pidg-ee-oh-toh)
Rayquaza: (ruh-kwAY-zuh)
Rattata: (rad-uh-tuh) -One of the biggest ones that I refuse to give up.
Suicune: (sWEE-coon)
Phione: (fee-on)
Kyogre: (kye-oh-grr/kye-ogre)
Roserade: (rose-er-rade)
Regice: (re-jee-ice)
Entei: (en-tay)
Giratina: (gair-uh-tee-na)
Dusknoir: (dusk-nore)
Smeargle: (smurge-ul)

And many more that I have forgotten right now, or did eventually "correct" and have forgotten how I originally said it (most from the Hoenn saga).

MasterSceptile,
Master(Skep-tile)

Duke of Internet
Reaction score
Sceptile: (skep-tile)
Suicune: (sWEE-coon)
Kyogre: (kye-oh-grr/kye-ogre)
Roserade: (rose-er-rade)
Regice: (re-jee-ice)
Entei: (en-tay)
I thought those were the official pronounciations. Guess I pronounce those wrong too.