• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
A sister to the "misspelling" thread, this one is for the ones which you have a habit of pronouncing a different way.

For me, it would be a few of the following:

Arceus - \ˈɑɹsiəs\ (\ˈɑɹkiəs\ is official)
Giratina - \ˌjiɹəˈtinə\ (\ˌgiɹəˈtinə\ is official)

Lugia - \ˈluˈgiə\ (\ˈlugiˌə\ is official)

If possible, use the IPA when listing your pronunciations (For example, Arceus = \ˈɑɹsiəs\ is the way I do it). Otherwise, if you cba or think I'm just being pedantic, just give an approximate key (for example, Arceus = are-see-us is the way I do it.) Or, just say you mispronounce the word and be done with it.

So, the approximate keys (all caps = stressed):

Arceus - ARE-see-us (ARK-key-us is official)
Giartina - _jeer-a-TI-na (_gear-a-TI-na is official)
Lugia - LU-GI-a (LU-gi-a is official)

My friends use \luˈgiə\ (lu-GI-a, the second syllable is stressed). I got influenced by them.

I still pronounce Silph as Sliph

But I also pronounce Deoxys as Deox-zes

And Regice as Reg Ice

Definitely Regice, as "Rare-guys", due to the lack of double letters to make it clearer. Oh, and also Xatu, with the first syllable pronounced the same way as Xavier, which if you don't know, I pronounced it as "Zay-Too".

Hmm...

Oh yeah Illumise, I do not understand how the proper pronounciation is like that... I always say "Il-loom-eyes", thinking it's better. And I get annoyed every time I hear it the official way in the anime.

Natu and Xatu I say as "Nattu"- as in "at", not "Nah-too", same applies with "Zattu"

Giratina is kind of a subtle difference, but I say "Girra-tina" instead of "Gear-uh-tina"

Natu, Xatu, Rayquaza, (As Ruh-QUAY-zah) and Arceus are the main four I say differently.

Last edited:
I don't know where I got this (and I'm trying to break the habit), but I say Rayquaza as Ruh-QUAY-zuh.

I also say Arceus "ARE-C-us" but that comes from the fact that I know it's supposed to be a soft c.

I also say Arceus "ARE-C-us" but that comes from the fact that I know it's supposed to be a soft c.

Yeah I pronounce it the same way. I Don't understand why did they had to give the C a K sound in the Movie.

Lol at guy in GAME add. "The new Pokemon Our-Chaos, the God Pokemon." I prononuce it Are-see-us. Another one is Suicune. I pronounce it Swee-coon. I heard someone pronounce it Sue-seen. Lulz. Raikou? Um Rye-(rhymes with tie) coo.

For most of the legends, I completely ignore the "official" way given by PUSA or P International or even 4Kids when they dubbed, whoever. They mess up the Japanese names terribly. D:

Rai-koh
Swee-coon
En-tie
Ray-qua-za
Ky-oger (This one is just weird though. I've heard "Ky-o-gree, but then why would they give it one e?)
Die-al-ga (From "Dial" like a sundial.)
Gi-ra-ti-na (If the "official" source says "Gear-i-tina," throw something at them.)
Ar-see-us (ARK-ee-us sounds rather dumb, and ARCH-ee-us would have been better, even with the lack of a k...)

Arceus: Ar-see-us
Dialga: Dye-all-guh
Pidgeotto: Pidg-ee-oh-toh (Although the franchise goes back and forth on this)
Kyogre: Kie-oh-egrr
Rotom: Roh-tum
Victreebel: Victory-bell
Paras: Paris (As in the city)
Suicune: Swee-cune
Tangela: Tanj-ella

Patchirisu - Patch-hee-ree-soo
Rayquaza - Ray-QUAY-zuh
Arceus - Ar-see-yhus

I pronounce Rayquaza as: Ray-QWA-Zah

I pronounce Arceus as: Are-SEE-Us

I pronounce Suicune as: Swee-CUNE

Rayquaza, (As Ruh-QUAY-zah)

Isn't that the official pronunciation? (\ɹəˈkweɪzɑ\, as you put it)

I've always pronounced it as \ɹeiˈkwɑzə\ (Ray-QUAH-zuh). There's another one.

@Blaah: I pronounce Illumise the same way, coincidentally. I've never heard the way that 4Kids/TPC/PUSA pronounces it.

I say "Rick-wahza" instead of the whole "ray" thing. But that probably has to do with my accent.

@Blaah: I pronounce Illumise the same way, coincidentally. I've never heard the way that 4Kids/TPC/PUSA pronounces it.

Yeah they say "Ill-loom-ee-zay", which sounds pretty stupid IMO, lol.

I always pronouce Wynaut Wynaughty, ever since I nicknamed one Wynaughty, it just stuck.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom