• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

I always pronounnced Suicine like Suicide without the D.

And there's Squirtle - Which I pronnounce like they say in anime - Squir-dl
Not SquirTle

Dialga: Die-al-ga (I still don't know where I got this from but all my friends say it like this)
Giratina: Ji-ra-tina
Kyogre: ky-o-ger
Arceus: ar-see-us

Eh, I pronounce Arceus incorrectly, ARE-see-us is how I pronounce it.

I think in the other dub like here in Italy, they mis pronounce almost all the official names, it's because i don't watch the italian dub.

Poke-ee-mon
Rat-a-ta-ta (The first and third "a" as in apple, and the second, and fourth "a" I pronounce as "u".
...I don't know why. XD
I say Pidgeot as pid-gee-aught
Regice I say REH-jee-ais
Groo-don
KY-ORG,,I never knew it was actually KY-oger
Swee-Cune
En-Tay

I used to call Electabuzz, Electrabuzz.

I still sometimes call Suicune, Su-i-cun, rather than Swi-cun.

Giratina: JiraTEEna (GiraTEEna official)
Hippopotas: Hip-poh-POH-tas (Hi-po-po-TOSS official, WTF)
Dialga: Dee-ALL-ga (Die-ALL-ga official)
Regice: RE-jee-ice (official RE-jice?)

Oh yeah, I say Raikou as "Rye-ko". Saying it the proper way just sounds silly to me, lol.

I say Gardevoir as "Gar-de-voar" instead of the whole fancy "vwar" thing, haha.

Yeah earlier in the thread(Too lazy to quote) someone said that "Ray-quay-za" sounds stupid in which I agree 100%...

I forgot these three. I pronounce Rayquaza Ray-QWAH-za

Last edited:
Battle Revolution pronounces Dialga 'Dee-al-gah'. I just wondered how they got that because you don't say 'dee-ah-monds'. XD

Oh, and I say 'Poke-ee-mon'. Is that the official way, or am I forgetting the accent?

It's supposed to be "Poh-kay-mon," but from my experience, you're in the majority with that pronunciation.

I agree with you; I've always pronounced the first syllable in "Dialga" like the first syllable of "diamond". Used to pronounce "Arceus" and "Rayquaza" differently, but after digging around at their name origins, I pronounce them the same way as PBR and the anime.

It's always the foreign/legendary names that get ya.

I refuse to acknowledge the name "Bons-LIE". I will forever pronounce it "Bons-LEE", regardless of what anyone tells me. Bonsai tree inspiration be damned.

I refuse to acknowledge the name "Bons-LIE". I will forever pronounce it "Bons-LEE", regardless of what anyone tells me. Bonsai tree inspiration be damned.

I thought they said "BONS-lie" in the Lucario and Mew movie.

Banette. I always thought it was pronounce 'Bah-net', not 'Bay-net'.

Same here.

Oh, and I say 'Poke-ee-mon'. Is that the official way, or am I forgetting the accent?

I say "Poke-uh-mon" myself.

I thought they said "BONS-lie" in the Lucario and Mew movie.
A) That movie came out after I stopped watching the anime, so naturally I haven't seen it.
B) I first found out about Bonsly during the days leading up to XD, but I only knew about it through printed previews. Plus my friends pronounced it "Bons-Lee", so I didn't know any better. Sue me.

A) That movie came out after I stopped watching the anime, so naturally I haven't seen it.

AAAAAGGGGH, I meant to write "Bons-lee". Stupid "lie" being pronounced the same way at the end of a word (e.g. "Charlie").

Arceus - arr-see-us
Chingling - chang-a-ling
Milotic - mill-ah-tick
Bonsly - bons-lee
Roselia - rose-lie-uh

There are a bunch of other ones, though! :lol:

Last edited:
Pidgeot like Pidg-jot.

Raikou as Rye-koo.

I saw someone say they pronounce Pokemon like 'polkamon'. I realize I do it too.

For Lopunny, I used to say Low-PUNNY, until I learned it was LAW-punny.
I used to say AR-see-us instead of AR-kee-us.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom