• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

I say Phione like Phy-oh-ney, not Phe-oh-ney, and I say Gible like Gi-bul, not Gib-ul.

Chingling - chang-a-ling

I did that too.

As for my opinion on Regice, since it's written as レジアイス (Re-ji-ice) in Japan, I just go with that.
Pidgeot, to me, is Pid-jot, though the Japanese is "Pidgotto" (Pidgeotto in Japan is "Pidgeon")
Tropius is as in "tropism" rather than "tropical". I should've guessed.
Bonsly, as in Bonsai trees. Makes sense since it looks like one.

I still have a habit of pronouncing Arceus as "AR-see-us" or "Ar-KAY-us".

A friend of mine (Ultra Pidgeot) pronounces Blastoise like Tortoise. "BLAST-uss". Oh, and "PIDGE-ut." And "Loo-GEE-uh" instead of "LU-gee-uh".

I'm really strange, so don't make fun of me! Kay? :D

Pidgeot: Pid-jot
Rattata: Ra-ta-tah
Nidoran: Nee-dor-ran
Golem: Goh-lem
Cubone: Cue-bone
Tangela: Tang-ellah, used to pronouce it as Tang-ah-lah... XD
Gyarados: Garah-dos
Chinchou: Chin-chow
Togepi: Toh-geh-pee
Mareep: Mah-reep
Gligar: Gly-gar
Piloswine: Pie-lo-swine
Mantine: Man-ty-ne
Blaziken: Blay-zike-n, used to say Blay-zik-en
Zigzagoon: Zig-za-goon, used to say Zig-zag-oon.
Linoone: Line-noon, used to say Lin-oon.
Gardevoir: Gar-deh-vrah. Kinda hard to make it pronounce it right online xD
Mawile: Mah-while
Aron: A-ron... Always found this too awkward to pronounce.. T_T
Altaria: Al-tair-ia
Milotic: Mill-o(as in otter)-tick
Banette: Bane-ette
Tropius: Trop-ee-us(not as in us, like... Idk xD)
Regice: Reh-ji-ice
Kyogre: Kai-oh-gur
Roserade: Roz-er-ade
Lopunny: Lah-pun-nee
Bonsly: Bon(as in on)-sly
Happiny: Hap-pie-nee
Gible: Guy-bull
Gabite: Gah-bite
Hippopotas: Hip-poh-pot-as
Uxie: You-xee, awkward huh? XD
Mesprit: Me-sprite
Azelf: A-zelf
Dialga: Dee-al-gah... T_T yes I pronounce it that way!
Phione: Fee-ohn
Manaphy: Man-uh-fee
Arceus: Ar-soo. Idk why I pronounce it that way. My brother makes fun of me for that. :/

Camerupt as Cam-per-urt xD I have no idea why I do, but I just pronounce it like that.

My friend prounonces Suicune as Soo-e-sune, while I prounonce it as Sui-cune.

I have a friend who says Magi-crap on purpose.

How about Milotic, Roselia, and Illumise?
I say:
Meh-lotic (Like Melodic)
Ross-eh-lia
Ill-uh-mee-seh

Arceus [aɾkeːus].

That means I don't pronounce an sound, but instead a long [e], like deus in latin. Furthemore I give emphasis to the second syllable, so it sounds more like "Arc Deus".
I would give a list with all pokemon names but...

I pronounce Pidgeotto the way Italians would prounce it instead of Pidge-EE-oto. I pronounce Ho-oh How-how, as my friend told me it was pronounced like that about 10 years ago and I only recently found out it isn't. And I pronounce Arceus Ark-ey-oos. Don't know if that's the correct pronounciation.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom