• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

i'm still mispronouncing arceus, when i see arceus i pronounce /arseus/, but sometimes i'm pronouncing the official one..

Phione=Fee-own
Kyogre=Kai-oh-gurr
Giratina=Gurr-at-in-ah
Dialga=Die-all-gah

I pronounce Buizel as "buy-sell", more or less (can't think of anything in English that sounds like how I pronounce the ui sound). I'm pronouncing it as though it were Dutch (which is my native language). I would transcribe it in IPA but I can't be bothered to go find the right symbols so nyah. P:

Last edited:
I misprenounce Arceus wrong in my head. I pronounce it normally when saying it though.

Also I still hear many people mispronouncing Lyra's name. They say something like ko-to-ne. I have no idea how people would read that in her name though.

For the Nidoran lines, I always say 'nehh-do' instead of 'nee-do'. I pronounce Phanpy as 'fan-fee'. Until recently, I pronounced Regigigas as 'ruh-jehh-jehh-gaas'. Mm, I probably pronounce a lot of others wrong, but those are really the only ones I could think of right now.

Suicune as Su-e-cune.

Lugia as Looh Gee Uhh

And arecus as Ar Ee Cuss.

For the first 2 years that DP were out, I pronounced Dialga's name as (die-ah-gla). It wasn't til the first movie that I learned it was (di-al-ga).

Last edited:
I mainly stick with the Japanese names nowadays, and in Japanese, things are pronounced exactly as they're spelled. Though, I do like to think that Rayquaza, since its romanization was apparently the same in both versions, was meant to be pronounced in an English-speaking context as "Reh-kah-zah" instead of the "Rey-kway-zah" that the official media's got (Rayquaza looks to have had some influence from the Aztec Quetzalcoatl, so it wouldn't be that unusual to pronounce a "qu" as a "k"). Also, I don't know where Nintendo of America got that hard "K" sound for Arceus even after they pronounced it correctly in Battle Revolution. Though, it's all kind of a moot point since I don't talk about Pokemon much in real life (or am much of an active initiator of social conversation at all, really).

As many others, "Arceus" comes out "AR-see-uss." I actually didn't realize it was wrong until now, haha... XD Um, other than that all I can think of is Bonsly, which I say as "bons-lee," like how they say it in the one movie (forgot which). It was the first time I heard its name aloud, and I thought it was accurate until I looked it up. XD I don't say it "bon-sly" (like bonsai, almost) because I think it sounds silly, and the voice actor for Bonsly in the movie made it sound sooo cuuute. <333

Deoxys: dee-OX-eyes
Groudon: GROW-don
Milotic: mi-LOT-ic
Arceus: ARK-yus
Pikachu: god-CHUUUUU

Last edited:
I pronounce Arceus as ARC-eh-us or ARC-ee-us. I use these two back & forth. I pronounce it like that because a "c" is always pronounced like the English "k" in Latin. (The Latin language rarely uses "k." In fact, the only example I can think of is "Karthago," meaning Carthage.)
For a while, I called Kangaskhan "KANG-za-kan" because I picked it up from my brother. I stopped calling it that when I realized that wasn't how it's supposed to be pronounced. On the topic of mispronunciation & my brother, he once pronounced "yacht" as YATCH-et. :)

Gible for me is GUY-bul because Gib-bul just sounds ridiculous.
Arceus for me = ARE-see-us
Giratina for me = Dji-ra-tee-nah (which sounds like an eastern delicacy :p)
Milotic with either the emphasis on MI or LO, I interchange those constantly.

That's about it.

Arceus- ar see us
Giratina- guy rant tina
Spiritomb- spirit tom

There's a few others but I can't remember

I'm pretty sure I've got the Pokemon names down, but I used to butcher Rattata. I used to pronounce it Rat-a-tat when I was little. XD

I usually don't care for the "official ways" to pronounce their names, as I pronounce them however I think they are at first. After that, even if I'm completely wrong, I'll keep to my ways. Here's my list:

Sceptile: (skep-tile) -I don't like the official (cep-tile) form, it doesn't sound as cool.
Arceus: (ar-see-us)
Dialga: (die-al-ga)
Pidgeotto: (pidg-ee-oh-toh)
Rayquaza: (ruh-kwAY-zuh)
Rattata: (rad-uh-tuh) -One of the biggest ones that I refuse to give up.
Suicune: (sWEE-coon)
Phione: (fee-on)
Kyogre: (kye-oh-grr/kye-ogre)
Roserade: (rose-er-rade)
Regice: (re-jee-ice)
Entei: (en-tay)
Giratina: (gair-uh-tee-na)
Dusknoir: (dusk-nore)
Smeargle: (smurge-ul)

And many more that I have forgotten right now, or did eventually "correct" and have forgotten how I originally said it (most from the Hoenn saga).

MasterSceptile,
Master(Skep-tile)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom