• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

For me, Rattata has always been one of the most annoying words to say. I think my friends and I all say it differently.
Here's how I say it: "Rat-at-ah." Maybe that's one of the reasons I've never cared for the guy...

And then Bidoof, which I say as "Bid-oof," though I know people who say it as "Bee-doof" or "Bye-doof." Bibarel has a similar issue.

Then Regigigas, which I say as "Reh-jee-gig-ahs," but I know someone who says it's "Reh-jee-guy-gahs" or "Reh-jee-gig-ee-ahs" and sometimes he just adds "gig" sounds in there for no reason. Same with adding "at" sounds in "Rattata."

When I was a kid I would always say "Feraligatr" as "Fur-ali-gator," but then I learned that there was a word called "feral" that described things that were viscous/wild, and decided that that was how you say the first part of his name.

And I dunno about this one, but is Victreebel's name supposed to be said like "Victory-bell?" I just say it like "Vick-tree-bell."

I usually just stick with the official, but every once in a while I'll pronounce Kyogre as ki-OH-gu, just to sound weird....

AND TO GET MY 200TH POST.

Giratina(Jeerateena)
Arceus(Arrzoos)
Sableye(Sahblie)
Rayquaza(Ray-Kwah-Zaa)
Seriously, Arkeeus? IT'S NAME. IS DERIVED. FROM ZEUS.
And I don't know about you, but I don't pronounce the father of gods and men as Zay-us.

Rattata - I say: Rat-a-tata xD (been saying it since '98 :p )
Regice - I say: Regi-ice
Arceus - I say: Ar-see-us
Rayquaza - I say: Ray-kway-zuh
Raikou - I say: Rye-koo
Zoroark - I say: Zo-roar-k (just recently got in the habit of saying Zoro-ark xD )
Missingno. - I say: Mis-sing-no (strange I know, but I was 6 when it was discovered xD )

I pronounce Arceus as

AR-CEUS (CEUS like Zeus, the Greek God of the Sky and Thunder)

I also used to pronounce Oshawott as
O-sha-wott ('O', like the 'O' in 'ocean')

Raikou
Rai-Kou ('Rai', like in 'Raichu', and 'Kou', like the 'coo' in the word 'cool')

Axew
AX-EW (AX, like in 'ax', and 'ew' like in the word, 'new') (startin' to pronounce it Axew like in the anime)

Lairon
LAI-RON ('Lai', like in 'lie', I don't like it pronounced 'Lai', like in 'lair')

Regice
REGI-ICE ('Regi', like the 'Regi' in 'Regirock' or 'Registeel', and then 'Ice', don't pronounce it like 'REG-ICE')

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't often pay attention to official ways, as I never really watch the movies or the anime. I simply pronounce the name in the most logical (British English?) way, and if I'm unsure, I listen to how others here say it or derive it from how we pronounce related words. To me and a few of my friends, the English accent really makes some of the names sound odd if pronounced in even the "legit" ways, so frankly, if I feel I'm doing the Pokemon more justice, I will pronounce it in a way that sounds less stupid.

Giratina = Jeer-a-tina
Raikou = Rai-ko
Suicune = Soo-wee-coon
Rattata = Ra-tat-ah
Reshiram = Resh-i-ram (with the i like that in "it")
Gardevoir = Guard-eh-vwahh
Altaria = Al-teh-ree-a
Milotic = My-loh-tic
Illumise = I-lloo-mise
Kyogre = Kai-yoh-guh
Arceus = Ar-kay-us (Why? "ass" here is "arse", pronounced in the same way a lot of Americans say Are-see-us, which is just awkward and insulting to Arceus if you ask me because with a common British accent it sounds like "arse-say-us" or "arse-eis". Not cool.)

Last edited:
Ooh I have a few. D:

Kyogre (kai-ohrg)
Arceus (ar-say-us)
Purrloin (purr-lie-on) Purrlion sounds cooler. D|
Sigilyph (sig-liff)
Illumise (i-lu-mihn-eyes) I don't know where that "n" comes from.
Suicune (swee-coon)

I have a few more but I can't remember them. OTL

Guh, the horrendous manglings of the Japanese legendary names make my name hurt. o.o

The only name that I know of that I say wrongly is Rayquaza. I personally say it Ray-QWA-za.

Rayquaza - RAY-qUAza

Arceus - ARK-ayus

There are some others but those are the major ones.

I use the correct pronunciation of all that I know. So, those I've only read names of rather than heard (Gen 4 and 5) I've probably got wrong. I used to say Buizel wrong.

i allways give Ratata a few extra "tata"s
to the point where i pronounce it "Ratatatata"

I pronounce Raikou as Rai-koo. That's the only Pokémon that I know that Pronounce differently.

Um I can only think of one at the moment.

Skarmory

I pronounce as:
SCAR-もり

When I was younger I used to pronounce Ratata
Rata-tata
and Zubat as
Zuh-bat I don't know how to write the pronunciation for that.

Used to think Suicune was "Suicine", Ho-oh was "Ho-Ho" and Phanpy was "Phanphy".

I honestly thought Gible was pronounced guy-ble until after Black and White had already come out.

I was watching the Ash vs Conway battle when it aired in English, and I almost burst out laughing when he called out his "gib-ble"

THE ENTIRE 4TH GENERATION I had that wrong... I'm keeping my pronunciation.

EDIT: Pidgeot is pid-git not pid-jee-ot?!?! My childhood is lost!

I thought it was See-ann-wood.

I said Sinna-wood. Dear god I can't stop calling it that

Last edited:
ummm...i can only think of two right now
Gyrados...GARyados
and rattata...rataTAT
idk i just spent like my whole lifetime pronouncing them like that

I still pronounce Raikou "rai-koo" because I'm so used to that being the way 4Kids pronounced it. Sometimes I say "rai-koh" but I'm more used to the former.

When I was younger I would pronounce the "sui" in Suicune the same way you'd pronounce it in suicide.

Also if TPCi changed the pronounciation of a pokemon I still pronounce it the way 4Kids would. Like "mis-dri-vus" instead of "mis-dree-vis" or "mah-choke" instead of "muh-choke"

If I don't know how to pronounce a pokemon then I just wait until I hear the dub's way xP

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom