• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which "not very well known" countries would you like to see as a Pokémon Region in the future?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I have realized that the reason why I seem to dislike European-based regions in Pokémon, is because Game Freak always choose the obvious choices (France, UK and I bet Spain is next xD). So how about something less obvious?

For example, I would really like a Pokémon region based on Bulgaria.

The main reason I want such a Pokémon Region is the gorgeous nature and culture in this country: here are some examples.

Bulgaria:

- "The Eyes of God" cave:
510da021e8703b60520cf5c2f1e3c1bf.jpg

- The 7 Rila lakes:
seven-rila-lakes.jpg

Rose Valley:
[IMG]

Black Sea coast:
[IMG]

Vacha dam:
100256107-nature-gem-vacha-dam-in-rhodopes-mountains-bulgaria.jpg

Krushuna Waterfalls:
krushuna_waterfalls.jpg

The odd Belogradchik rocks:
[IMG]

- The Nessebar Gold Treasure: the oldest discovered gold treasure in the entire world (7000 years old):
IMG_0007.jpg

Magura Cave paintings (from 8000 years BC):
[IMG]

So, what do you think of this Bulgaria based region? And what other less well known destinations would you like to see become a Pokémon region?

Last edited:
Hmm. I was in Bulgaria twice and wasn't exactly impressed, but I was in two small towns only. I had no idea that the nature is so well preserved.

I wouldn't mind it, but Greece isn't that different and they're more likely to go for that. At any rate, I think we need a good break from both the US and Europe, even if there is plenty more to see in both.

Last edited:
Hmm. I was in Bulgaria twice and wasn't exactly impressed, but I was in two small towns only. I had no idea that the nature is so well preserved.

I wouldn't mind it, but Greece isn't that different and they're more likely to go for that. At any rate, I think we need a good break from both the US and Europe, even if there is plenty more to see in both.
Well, Greece is more Mediterranean, imo.

I changed the thread's title to make it clear the thread is about more niche destinations. Greece is great, but it's too mainstream. I want this thread to be about those countries Game Freak would probably ignore because they are not popular with Japanese tourists.

I forgot to add this one in the OP:

The meanders of River ARDA, Bulgaria.

hdr-image-of-arda-river-near-by-kardjali-petar-bogdanov.jpg

I hope I am not the only Tolkien fan who gets the Arda reference XD

Last edited:
Okay now this is going to sound weird... but... Ethiopa

Let me explain

Ethiopa has a lot of landmarks that would make for interesting locations such as

Erta Ale Lava Lake
WP_20161229_18_24_43_Pro_LI.jpg
Blue Nile Falls
blue-nile-falls-4.jpg
The Sof Omar Caves
Sof-Omar-2.jpg
The Aksum Stelae
aksum-ethiopia.jpg
Gondar, The Camelot of Africa
fasil-ghebbi-fortress.jpg
Lalibela, which was carved out of the stony earth itself
the-church-of-saint-george-in-lalibela-picture-id697529054
Tiya Archeological Site
01516482.jpg
As well as Lake Tana and so many other locations.

Not exactly sure if it's unpopular or not, but Romania would be an awesome country to see as a region. (I also wanna see Italy as well but I've seen quite a lot of people on various forums that want this as a region too, so I'm not counting it as unpopular in my post)

Points of interest to see:
Salina Turda salt mine:

Merry Cemetery:

Peleș Castle:

Old Town Sighișoara:

Wooden Churches of Maramureș :

Vaser Valley Forestry Railway:

The Sphinx natural rock formation (Bucegi Natural Park):

And obligatory Bran Castle (Dracula's Castle):

I updated the OP with some more images of places of interest in Bulgaria, if anyone wants to check them out... :)

Also, I decided that Macedonia should be it's own separate region.

Last edited:
I updated the OP with some more images of places of interest in Bulgaria, if anyone wants to check them out...

Also, I decided that Macedonia should be it's own separate region.

Could you place the images inside spoiler tags? They’re very large and there’s a lot of them.

Aside from Bulgaria, the other European country I would love to see become a Pokémon region, is Croatia.

On the one hand, Croatia doesn't have that "mystical" and "supernatural" aura that one can sense in Bulgaria.

But on the other hand, Croatia is even more diverse in terms of nature and climate. It has both a Balkan and a Mediterranean climate. And the colour of the water there is simply stunning:
Plitvice-National-Park.jpg

shutterstock_10084214381.jpg

Bulgaria and Croatia would be my personal choices if we have to go back to Europe. They are probably the only European countries I would feel excited to visit in Pokémon.

Though, ideally, we can go somewhere more exotic than Europe. Like Guyana.

Last edited:
@Meta Boss What made you change your mind on Macedonia?
I realized that Game Freak wouldn't want to make a single Pokémon region out of 2 different existing counties like Bulgaria and Macedonia.

Otherwise, Macedonia, as a standalone region, would probably be my third European choice, behind Bulgaria and Croatia.

Macedonians are currently trying to force the patriotic idea that they have been a separate ethnicity from Bulgarians throughout history, even though historical facts prove otherwise. So it would be quite controversial if Game Freak made a joint region of these countries. Bulgarians would be happy, but Macedonians, not so much...

Last edited:
I would love it if they do "lateral regions" with these "more obscure" places where the starters are a mix of the starters from the existing "main" regions with one new original line (i.e. Rowlet, Piplup and a brand new fire starter). They would make for nice side games imo.

Countries that have 80% desert arial or more half a year. Then when rains can be 40% desert and rest jungle the next half. With underground caves and one mountain for rare new ice types. A see and some oasis and one river with many pokemon that are designed to survive without water or abilities that make them immune to grass, fire and water moves. Some African and South American countries have this.

Canada would be cool. Considering how geographically and culturally diverse it is, there is a lot they could do with it in a Pokémon game. I would be very interested to see how they adapt areas like the Rocky Mountains and the northern Arctic, as well as the Great Lakes and the east coast. There is a lot they could do and I think it would make for a very interesting region in the games.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom