• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Ash's officially owned Pokémon do you like the best or dislike the worst?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Hey, what's going on with you, everybody? Say, I'm just wanting to know which of Ash's officially owned Pokémon, both currently and formerly, you like the best or dislike the worst? Why? Please let me know, thanks. :)

The four Pokemon officially owned by Ash that I like the best:
  1. Melmetal - I like how Ash finally broke the taboo against protagonists formally capturing Mythical Pokemon with capturing a Meltan that befriended his Rowlet and later evolved into a Melmetal.
  2. Gengar - Honestly, it's nice to see Ash officially capture a Gengar in Journeys, making it the first Ghost-type Pokemon to be officially owned by him.
  3. Krookodile - I believe Ash officially capturing a Krookodile with sunglasses back in BW was a good decision, as well as Serena officially capturing a Pancham (also with sunglasses) in XY...

The best I like all fully evolved pokemon, especially starters...

I dislike some of the the unevolved ones only because of their shallow moveset that could have been better.

Dragonite and Gengar arent bad but hoped for Rowlet evolving all the way for the ghost support... also other of Ash dragon types could have come back...

Ash got now many dragons but no fairies? interesting...

best liked? hard...
best Greninja taking how good they put it through battles and evolution and use in league...
Next would be Sceptile, followed by Infernape and Torterra,

most disliked?
I am not a fan of Ash getting suddently Gengar or Dragonite, hoped more to go in a new region and let him catch a new set...

Hmmm I more dislike the fact they arent used after they were catched in the past, hoped they would re-use all pokemon he has in storage more then catching new ones now...

Top 3 best liked
1. Talonflame
2. Lycanroc
3. Donphan
Honorable mentions - Mimey, Glalie, Tauros, Snorlax, Leavanny.

Top 3 least liked
1. Greninja
2. Charizard
3. Krookodile
Honorable mention - Riolu is going to be in my top 3 least liked if they continue like this.

Faves: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Sceptile, Infernape, Snivy, Incineroar, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Mr. Mime, Snorlax

Dislike: Pignite, Palpitoad, Noivern, Goodra, and low-key Greninja and Riolu for hogging so much attention away from the rest of Ash's Pokémon

Ash got now many dragons but no fairies? interesting...
Mr. Mime is Fairy Type

Favorites
Sceptile: My absolute favorite of Ash's Pokemon, I loved it ever since it was a Treeko.
Pikachu
Bulbasaur
Heracross
Bayleef
Quilava
Donphan
Corphish
Torterra
Infernape
Buizel
Snivy
Greninja
Hawlucha
Noivern
Lycanroc
Incineroar
Naganadel
Dragonite

I've been disappointed with some, but I never truly disliked any of Ash's Pokemon.

Ash’s Charizard may be overrated, but it’s still my favorite. I like how it didn’t trust Ash since it felt like it was too good for him, but that was Charizard’s greatest downfall. It also taught Ash that great power comes with great responsibility. In the end, it shows that Charizard can’t be stubborn and Ash can’t just use Charizard as a win-con easily, so the fact that Ash had to earn Charizard’s trust made it clear that Ash’s lack of experience at the time would no longer hold Charizard back. Charizard has won most of its battles since then, with the two hardest losses being against Dusclops and Blaziken.

Ash’s Charizard is also one of the reasons on why Charizard is my favorite Pokémon, as well as my Smash 4 and Pokkén main. The only thing I don’t like about Ash’s Charizard is his lackluster Black & White appearance. He had an anazing return episode, but he didn’t even do much of anything afterwards, which made his return confusing and a waste.

My least favorite of Ash’s Pokémon is probably Noivern. It arrived pretty late into Ash’s XY team, essentially replacing Goodra. It hatched as a Noibat, but it evolved very fast since the rest of Ash’s team was fully evolved at the time. It also barely won any battles, it was easily the weakest of Ash’s XY Pokémon. Combined with the fact that we barely saw Noivern’s personality, I was just left feeling meh about it.

Honestly? His whole Alolan team. Litten had an awesome backstory and some epic battles/scenes leading up to its evolution, Rowlet and Meltan/Melmetal had an adorably sweet friendship that I grew really fond of, Lycanroc's growth from a weak Rockruff all the way to formidable Lycanroc with a unique form who could battle really well (not to mention unique scenes like this which were always amusing to watch) were all super memorable for me. And Poipole... I could go on forever about this baby but Ash's was so incredibly cute that it is now in my top 5 favorite Pokémon. <3

Sure, call it Alola bias, but I think this is the first time since OG (Kanto starters, Butterfree, Muk, Snorlax) and Johto (Johto starters, Heracross) that I've enjoyed Ash's team so much. Dragonite from Journeys is quite close to the top as well, and has rekindled my love for Dragonite overall. I also really like Riolu and Gengar, though a little less for the latter since it's been a bit shafted in Journeys lately. Hope that will change! It was awesome in its introduction.

Not sure I have a least favorite but I suppose if I had to say, most of Ash's DP team bar Chimchar and Buizel. I never got too into DP as a series, and that includes most of his Pokémon.

Faves: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Sceptile, Infernape, Snivy, Incineroar, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Mr. Mime, Snorlax

Dislike: Pignite, Palpitoad, Noivern, Goodra, and low-key Greninja and Riolu for hogging so much attention away from the rest of Ash's Pokémon

Mr. Mime is Fairy Type

one, yes, what fairy move did it used?

For me it's every unevolved Pokemon I care the less. I tend to like the fully evolved ones more.

Now among the unevolved, Waninoko, Fushigidane, Mijumaru, Mukuroh and Zuruggu would my least favorite I believe.

For favorites: Lizardon, Gekkouga, Oosubame, Firearrow, Waruvial, Jukkain, and maybe more.

The best three and the worst three, by chronological ranking.

1. Pikachu
2. Charizard
3. Greninja

1. Oshawott
2. Rowlet
3. Naganadel

I personally like most of Ash's Pokémon, so it's difficult for me to pinpoint which one is my absolute favorite. So I just decided to make a list of all the ones that made the biggest impression on me in no particular order:

• Lycanroc- I just love how accurate his personality and behavior is to real-life dogs. Cheerful, friendly, loyal, excitable, playful, but still quite dangerous if he gets angry. All of these are true to well-trained dogs. The fact that he won Ash his first League is also another huge point in his favor.
  • Bayleef- Her arc about getting over her jealousy of Pikachu and later learning to show Ash affection in a way that wouldn't hurt him was equal parts adorable and hilarious, and easily one of the highlights of the otherwise rather dreary Johto anime. I also like how she's one of relatively few Pokémon to defeat an opponent with a type advantage in a tactical and believable manner (using Vine Whip to muzzle Houndoom so it couldn't use Flamethrower or Bite, thereby limiting its fighting capabilities) rather than just by being extra determined or some other cliché like that.
  • Sceptile- I'll readily admit that my love for this guy stems from bias, since the Treecko line is the first starter I ever trained and holds a soft spot in my heart as a result. Even aside from that, though, I always liked Sceptile's cool and collected personality and his eagerness to fight. Then he became the only Pokémon at the Sinnoh League to knock out Tobias's Darkrai and my love for him grew even bigger.
  • Buizel- Mainly because his personality reminds me a lot of Sceptile's. I may also be alone in this, but I'm personally really glad that he never evolved, since I like Buizel's design a lot more than Floatzel's (not that Floatzel isn't cool, though).
  • Galarian Farfetch'd- I don't know, something about this bird's overly serious attitude towards everything is really hilarious to me. I also really like this "knight errant" vibe that it gives off. Just please, writers, please give this birdie some love already. Let Galarfetch'd win an official battle.

As for least favorites, that list really only comes down to two. The rest of Ash's Pokémon I either like or feel neutrally about, but these two are the only ones that I can truly say I didn't enjoy (and even then, I don't outright hate them, they just annoy me):

• Pignite- I just didn't like how his entire personality and backstory were just worse copies of Infernape's, and the fact that Pignite got considerably more battle screentime and wins than other Unova Pokémon that I either found to be more unique and interesting (Snivy, Leavanny, Scraggy) or felt were in desperate need of moments to shine (Unfezant, Boldore, Palpitoad) really doesn't help his case. To give what I think is the most egregious example of Pignite's spotlight-hogging (haha, geddit?), in Ash's very last match at the Vertress Conference, Pignite was the only one of Ash's team besides Pikachu to nab any wins while everyone else was relegated to jobber duty! That's just one of many reasons the battle against Cameron is one of my least favorite matches in the entire anime. So yeah, the fact that Pignite got all that glory at the expense of so many of his teammates despite being thoroughly unoriginal as a character, and in a saga where the screentime of Ash's Pokémon was already handled disastrously as it is, makes it really hard for me not to resent him. Say whatever you want about other spotlight-stealers Ash has owned, but at least they all have unique traits that make them distinct from one another, whereas Pignite is literally just discount Infernape, right down to sharing the exact same typing, even.
  • Oshawott- To me, his "comedic" antics were more irritating than funny.

I personally like most of Ash's Pokémon, so it's difficult for me to pinpoint which one is my absolute favorite. So I just decided to make a list of all the ones that made the biggest impression on me in no particular order:

• Lycanroc- I just love how accurate his personality and behavior is to real-life dogs. Cheerful, friendly, loyal, excitable, playful, but still quite dangerous if he gets angry. All of these are true to well-trained dogs. The fact that he won Ash his first League is also another huge point in his favor.
  • Bayleef- Her arc about getting over her jealousy of Pikachu and later learning to show Ash affection in a way that wouldn't hurt him was equal parts adorable and hilarious, and easily one of the highlights of the otherwise rather dreary Johto anime. I also like how she's one of relatively few Pokémon to defeat an opponent with a type advantage in a tactical and believable manner (using Vine Whip to muzzle Houndoom so it couldn't use Flamethrower or Bite, thereby limiting its fighting capabilities) rather than just by being extra determined or some other cliché like that.
  • Sceptile- I'll readily admit that my love for this guy stems from bias, since the Treecko line is the first starter I ever trained and holds a soft spot in my heart as a result. Even aside from that, though, I always liked Sceptile's cool and collected personality and his eagerness to fight. Then he became the only Pokémon at the Sinnoh League to knock out Tobias's Darkrai and my love for him grew even bigger.
  • Buizel- Mainly because his personality reminds me a lot of Sceptile's. I may also be alone in this, but I'm personally really glad that he never evolved, since I like Buizel's design a lot more than Floatzel's (not that Floatzel isn't cool, though).
  • Galarian Farfetch'd- I don't know, something about this bird's overly serious attitude towards everything is really hilarious to me. I also really like this "knight errant" vibe that it gives off. Just please, writers, please give this birdie some love already. Let Galarfetch'd win an official battle.

As for least favorites, that list really only comes down to two. The rest of Ash's Pokémon I either like or feel neutrally about, but these two are the only ones that I can truly say I didn't enjoy (and even then, I don't outright hate them, they just annoy me):

• Pignite- I just didn't like how his entire personality and backstory were just worse copies of Infernape's, and the fact that Pignite got considerably more battle screentime and wins than other Unova Pokémon that I either found to be more unique and interesting (Snivy, Leavanny, Scraggy) or felt were in desperate need of moments to shine (Unfezant, Boldore, Palpitoad) really doesn't help his case. To give what I think is the most egregious example of Pignite's spotlight-hogging (haha, geddit?), in Ash's very last match at the Vertress Conference, Pignite was the only one of Ash's team besides Pikachu to nab any wins while everyone else was relegated to jobber duty! That's just one of many reasons the battle against Cameron is one of my least favorite matches in the entire anime. So yeah, the fact that Pignite got all that glory at the expense of so many of his teammates despite being thoroughly unoriginal as a character, and in a saga where the screentime of Ash's Pokémon was already handled disastrously as it is, makes it really hard for me not to resent him. Say whatever you want about other spotlight-stealers Ash has owned, but at least they all have unique traits that make them distinct from one another, whereas Pignite is literally just discount Infernape, right down to sharing the exact same typing, even.
  • Oshawott- To me, his "comedic" antics were more irritating than funny.
I disagree a lot here, while I do wish we got to see more of the unova mons get more screen time, I never felt myself get annoyed by oshawott, and I really disagree with your statement on pignite’s arc. It was similar, but considering how demented and cruel Pignite’s trainer was, I think it was pretty awesome seeing Pignite grow past his isolation of his former trainer.

I disagree a lot here, while I do wish we got to see more of the unova mons get more screen time, I never felt myself get annoyed by oshawott, and I really disagree with your statement on pignite’s arc. It was similar, but considering how demented and cruel Pignite’s trainer was, I think it was pretty awesome seeing Pignite grow past his isolation of his former trainer.
Hey, this IS a thread where we list out favorites and least favorites of Ash's Pokémon. You're bound to see opinions that don't align with yours in threads like this one.

You're free to disagree, but I'm sorry, in my opinion Oshawott was painfully annoying and unfunny, while with Pignite I couldn't bring myself to care for due to not doing enough to stand out as a unique character on his own right and still getting constantly shoved into the spotlight despite this. Due to these factors, to me the term "Writer's Pet" fits Pignite to a tee. I'm sure that if the writers had distributed the screentime of Ash's Unova mons more fairly and/or given Pignite a more unique backstory that wasn't just a worse retread of Infernape's (or at the very least they'd done it differently enough to make it fresh), I wouldn't dislike the pig at all. As things are, though, Pignite got the right combination of traits to cement himself as my least favorite.

I will never forgive the anime for making Oshawott unbelievably annoying. It's my favorite Gen 5 starter and I was so excited when Ash caught it...and then they made his personality like that. I was already annoyed from DP when they kind of did the same to Piplup (my favorite Gen 4 starter) but Oshawott went above and beyond obnoxious. Seriously, the episodes where Dawn came back and Piplup and Oshawott were just annoying as all hell together the whole time? It was downright depressing. So, despite being one of my favorite starters, Ash's Oshawott is easily my least favorite of his Pokemon.

Other than that, I don't have super strong feelings for his other Pokemon one way or the other. If I had to pick, I would say that I tend to lean towards Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Gliscor, Rowlet, and Gengar.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom