• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Goh’s Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of Goh's Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Grookey

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • ALL OF THEM

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
They're really only similar in that they're both quirky but informative sidekicks. Which is a trope that definitely didn't begin with Yo-Kai Watch.
Maybe but when has Pokémon ever been known for such a thing? Plus the fact that Pokémon just so happens to pull that kind of thing out at the same time along with such a big to al shift, it ends up feeling pretty suspicious.

Honestly, all of the comparisons to Yokai Watch always felt like huge stretches at best to me. They were all surface level comparisons that didn't really mean much other than fans trying to find some explanation as to why SM was different the previous series, even if that explanation was nothing more than fan speculation treated as fact. I can't really compare the two series that much myself since I've only seen a couple of episodes of Yokai Watch, but nothing about SM really made me think that they were trying hard to copy Yokai Watch.

But Anipoke never had any of those before SM, that's a reason why some reached that conclusion.

Though; Rotomdex was heavily despised unlike Whisper, who was divisive at worst.
Maybe but when has Pokémon ever been known for such a thing? Plus the fact that Pokémon just so happens to pull that kind of thing out at the same time along with such a big to al shift, it ends up feeling pretty suspicious.
Couldn't it be possible that slice-of-life comedy, quirky sidekicks and dance sequences just happened to be popular with Japanese kids at the time and that's why Yo-Kai Watch and Pokémon both (independently) went in those directions?

Honestly I have no idea why they thought "soccer player" would be seen as cooler than "James Bond".
Actually a Japanese person I follow on Twitter talked a bit about the Demographics that each Galar Starter appealed to the most for the Japanese crowd.

Rillaboom was mostly popular with Men

Inteleon was insanely popular with Women (Don't ask me why :ROFLMAO:)

Cinderace seems to be the most popular among small Children.

Guess which Demographic Pokemon gears itself towards most?

It is particularly interesting that Women seem to mostly dominate the older online fandom in Japan. :unsure:

But at least that also explains why Raihan constantly dominates Japanese popularity polls :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Honestly, I get the feeling that it comes down to the format that they chose for Journeys being incompatible with the Pokémon anime. What it seems they’re trying to do is basically turn it into one of those serialized kids anime akin to the likes of Doreamon or Yo-Kai Watch where there’s a minimum of changes in continuity that might make a noticeable change but wouldn’t qualify as an overarching story. One where you can just jump in anywhere and it not matter whether you actually watch the series or just random episodes because it exists just to be a series of bite sized tidbits to hold a kid’s attention for a half hour. Problem being, Pokémon was never built for such a thing as, even in its earliest days, the series followed a path, one that became more entwined with overarching story as different series went on. As a result, we’re seeing the noticeable dip in quality of story telling as they essentially try to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Funny, since this season the dub really wants people to binge watch the series.

Also I don't get why this series is so slice of life if it's meant to be a full continuation of all the other series. At least in SM you could say it was a soft reset...

Last edited:
I was just thinking.

How will the Galar Starters G-Max forms even be showcased?

Is Goh gonna showcase all 3 of them?

How the hell is that gonna work. This show's about to entire its 3rd year. How can they condense all of that?

Writing a filler about Gou's starters Kyodaimax-ing randomly and without any explanation.

These writers are very capable of coming up with something like that and thinking that it is an awesome plot.

I'd rather have other people do it, even if it is as out of the blue as Gou doing it would be.

I've seen Someone on Twitter say, A lot of people are going to drop this show if Inteleon's G-Max form debuts before Cinderace's but I really don't see how that matters?

G-Max is handled badly in the Anime and both Inteleon's and Cinderace's will be handled badly no matter which one we see first

Writing a filler about Gou's starters Kyodaimax-ing randomly and without any explanation.

These writers are very capable of coming up with something like that and thinking that it is an awesome plot.

I'd rather have other people do it, even if it is as out of the blue as Gou doing it would be.
Seeing as Goh has 2 fully evolved starters in his arsenal I find it unlikely that some randos will showcase them

G-Max Cinderace is already a given.

G-Max Inteleon is very likely as well (unless Jacqueline returns and shows it off instead. Which I doubt)

G-Max Rillaboom depends on if Grookey evolves but there's still a possibility Hop can showcase it.

I was just thinking.

How will the Galar Starters G-Max forms even be showcased?

Is Goh gonna showcase all 3 of them?

How the hell is that gonna work. This show's about to entire its 3rd year. How can they condense all of that?
I actually brainstormed a scenario where Ash and Pikachu decide to train with Gigantamax as a result of losing badly to Bea's Gigantamax Machamp (since Mega Lucario is obviously the one who'll take it down, and because Lucario also has a beef against Grapploct, that leads me to believe that there's gonna be a fall guy in the upcoming Bea battle):
making Pikachu the fall guy in this fight would actually be a pretty decent opportunity for an interesting arc: the very first time Pikachu Gigantamaxed he struggled greatly with the form due to how it forced him to take a battling approach that is the complete opposite to his usual speedy style. So him losing here with Gigantamax without getting a single win could end up being the wakeup call he and Ash need to realize that it might be a good idea to master this form if they want to beat Leon at his own game, thus leading to an arc where Ash, Goh, and perhaps even Chloe get to spend several episodes in Galar as Ash and Pikachu train to master the Gigantamax form, with other Pokemon such as Ash's Gengar, Goh's Cinderace and Inteleon, and Chloe's Eevee Gigantamaxing as well so Pikachu has partners to spar with, thereby showcasing multiple Gigantamax forms for several episodes as a marketing bonus.

Basically, my idea is that the debut of the Gigantamax forms of Cinderace and Inteleon will come as a result of Ash trying to train his Pokemon with it and Goh (and maybe Chloe) helping him out. This would unfortunately leave Rillaboom out, since it'd be beyond contrived for Grookey to evolve twice so quickly when it has yet to even use an actual move, but presumably Rillaboom's Gigantamax could instead be used by Hop later down the line. Assuming he's appearing, of course.

Seeing shit like this makes me even more sad

Where the fuck was any of this in the actual show?

Did the person who made this cone from an alternative universe where the Pokémon were allowed to interact and Drizzile actually stayed with the group and his Bro relationship with Cinderace remained intact??

Can I please go to that universe as well? :(
20211015_125511.jpg

Last edited:
I know this thread's over a month old now but you know something I hadn't thought about until now?

Fans have been clamoring for the Anime to give us a Fully Evolved Starter Trio for years now since the Anime has never ever done that before.

To matters even worse with the way things are going in Journeys, it is very likely that THESE 3 are going to be the very FIRST fully evolved Starter Trio in the Anime's history and this is the Trio with the least amount of effort put into them.
(Reminder Grookey still has yet to use a single move)

The Monkey's Paw is heavily in effect :bulbaFacepalm:

Last edited:
To matters even worse with the way things are going in Journeys, it is very likely that THESE 3 are going to be the very fully evolved Starter Trio in the Anime's history and this is the Trio with the least amount of effort put into them.
And I cannot believe that Goh, somebody who puts no effort at all in raising his own Pokémon and that is one of the most incompetent trainers that have ever been shown in this anime, might actually get a fully evolved starter trio. Not even Ash was ever allowed to have one of these and Goh might get gifted, yet again, a fully evolved Pokémon on a silver plater., because I know they are gonna rush it

And I cannot believe that Goh, somebody who puts no effort at all in raising his own Pokémon and that is one of the most incompetent trainers that have ever been shown in this anime, might actually get a fully evolved starter trio. Not even Ash was ever allowed to have one of these and Goh might get gifted, yet again, a fully evolved Pokémon on a silver plater., because I know they are gonna rush it
And what annoys me about Grookey's inevitable evolution is that it is for sure going to go through the same repetitive shit they went through with Raboot and Drizzile.

- Base Stage Form does next to nothing and evolves into Edgy Teen Phase despite it making fuck all sense

- Edgy Teen Phase sulks for some bs reason and runs away from Goh

- Edgy Teen Phase and Goh have a Heart to Heart and reconcile

- Edgy Teen Phase then sulks more for about 20 episodes (give or take) or worse shoved into offscreen land before evolving into it's Final Stage where it promptly disappears right back into offscreen land

Recycle, Rinse, Repeat. You can only imagine my excitement for Thwacky...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
They can one-up themselves with the gremlin.

Having it evolve twice in the same episode. Bonus if it ends with it going Kyodaimax.

And it really sucks how this would be the only Full-Set of Starters in the main cast.

I am actually tired of edgy/emo characters, actually I have always hated emos.

Gou is a lousy trainer, he just catches and then his captures end up being wasted.

Just to let you guys know, it is more than likely confirmed that Grookey is evolving.

All of these Pokemon belong to Ash, Goh and Chloe (and Dawn’s Piplup) so that means there's definitely no coincidence of Rillaboom's placement

20211122_094502.jpg

@Enzo @Kurolegacy @A Wild Luxray @Unireon @Ghost Diplocaulus
@PkmnTrainerV

Unlike with Inteleon, you can't blame Grookey's evolution on Popularity/Marketing purposes because Rillaboom isn't that really marketable at all.

So what do you guys think their excuse for this is? :unsure:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom