• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Goh’s Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of Goh's Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Grookey

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • ALL OF THEM

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Everybody has complaints about at least one of Goh's Starters.

And all 3 of them have MAJOR problems with their respective writing.

But I wanna know which one of these 3 does Bulbagarden think got screwed over the hardest?

And explain why you think they got screwed over so hard.

For example These are my Personal Opinions

Let's Start with Cinderace

20210922_154114.jpg

It's Goh's Starter. His very first Pokémon. Goh's Pikachu equivalent. The one who used to be by his side 24/7 and his go to Ace.

Nowadays? A background character who's only barely more relevant than Goh's Lab Pokémon,
Has barely any screentime, and the closest thing it has to an episode focusing on itself is a Gag Filler Episode that's shared with Lucario.

That said, it's still handled by far the best of the 3 Starters. But that's only because the other 2 are handled even WORSE

Which bring me to Inteleon

Inteleon_In_The_Anime_32.png

As someone who has this as my favorite Galar Starter, This is painful for me to say, but yeah I personally think this one was screwed over the hardest by the Writer's.

Do I even need to say anything that hasn't already been said here?

Both of it's Evolutions were rushed, Sobble evolved by shooting a goddamned berry, and I'll never forgive the writer's for shoving Drizzile in a cave for nearly 20 episodes

The only silver lining is that (if the upcoming previews are an indicator) it seems like the Writer's may have more plans for Inteleon.

Still won't change the fact that they completely denied it any onscreen development

And then lastly there's Grookey.

20210312_114850.jpg

This one is still in it's Base Stage so there's still time for it to change but the fact that it hasn't used a single move despite being here for over 20 episodes is a very bad sign imo. If it evolves it has the potential to be even worse than Sobble's evolution

And let's not get into the fact that it doesn't contribute to much while still causing problems for the Protagonists and getting off Scott free without consequences.

And of course we can't forget how it took the writer's 60 FREAKING EPISODES to debut the dang thing and still haven't done much of anything with it.

Like I said, maybe it's still too early to judge Grookey. For now we'll have to wait and see.

So who was done Dirtiest in Your opinion? :unsure:

Last edited:
Honestly, all of them were handled absolutely horribly, at least in comparison to other starters from previous series.

Cinderace was just wasted potential, in my opinion, since they actually seemed to be going somewhere with its and Goh's relationship, but then they dropped that story-line for some reason? And Cinderace's other relationships got pushed to the back burner too, like with Pikachu(seriously, what the hell happened there?), Lucario(this dynamic got one episode and hardly showed up since-only getting like a two second cameo in the Morpeko episode), and Inteleon(why couldn't we get an episode centered on THESE two?). Cinderace's capture story was also interesting too, as it provided some unique world-building and also gave Galar some representation. But of course, that isn't even going to be mentioned ever again.

Inteleon was just rushed, barely did anything, had a terrible evolution episode, evolved through a Dues Ex Machina(meaning it was nothing new compared to other evolutions), and the only notable interaction I think it had was with Cinderace...when it was a Raboot. Inteleon doesn't feel like a real character to me because of this fact, just like how Cinderace doesn't feel like a character anymore.

The same applies with Grookey. Seriously, what is even the point in this monkey? He feels less important than Chespin did in XY, which is saying something, because Clemont's Chespin literally added nothing to the story. Grookey is held to no consequences for his actions, doesn't feel enjoyable to watch in my opinion, and doesn't even feel like an actual character. He doesn't have any notable relationships with any other cast members either, so he's essentially just a prop.

All of the starters don't feel like proper characters that are a genuine part of the cast, which is the biggest misstep for me. It makes it hard to care for them, and that sucks considering how much I like all three Galar starters. They don't have any agency outside of their trainers, which is just a real shame, because the pokemon were always the main attraction for me in this anime.

All of them are messes. Cinderace had a nice thing going till JN045. After it evolved, we have never seen it to the extent of a battler in episodes. I'll admit, Goh uses it in tough situations such as against Moltres in JN068, Mewtwo in JN046 and against the Matori Matrix in JN075, but its never been seen much other than cameos at the beginning of episodes. Inteleon had some good development as a Sobble, but did nothing as a Drizzle and now is an Inteleon. Too fast and disappointing, could have had more development. Grookey is being treated the worst now. It knows 0 moves, does nothing except sit on Goh's shoulder and is annoying. I hope they do something with the little monkey or else I will be mad.

You called?

The monkey has been the worst, and that's saying something.

Not only the writers took their sweet time to finally made it debut.
Now it's just a gagmon, and even fails at that due to its gag not being funny.

I don't think that making it battle or use a move will improve its situation.
Since the few times it came close to it, something prevented it. New gag maybe?

It is just an annoying little prick that it is hard, if not outright impossible, to sympathise with.

Cinderace and Inteleon are characters with funny personalities, even if underdeveloped and underused a lot of the time

Grookey is a pest that only ever causes trouble and sits on Goh's shoulder then gets away without consequence for being a dick. It's the gimmick cutemon of this generation except even more annoying

Last edited:
Honestly? I find hilarious that there's an implication that any of the galarian starters are/were treated well in JN.

Cinderace was probably the best of the bunch tbh. But being the best of the worst.... it's not something to brag about imo.
It was going somehwere kinda nice, but they just completely dropped it. I have no idea what happened here.

Grookey... ugh. It's a pointless Pokémon ngl. It's debut ep had a contrived plot in order to benefit Goh (JN's personal specialty) that was super controversial and it does nothing besides hit people with a stick. It's walking to become the worst gagmon ngl. It literally runs amok 24/7 and Goh can't be bothered to raise a finger to discipline it, which is just another proof of Goh being an incompetent trainer all around. And like... what does it even do??? Seriously: it's yet to do anything. It doesn't battles (btw we are yet to see it using a move), it has no arcs, nothing. Nada. Such a waste.

Now Inteleon??? I think this guy is the one. First: the bait-and-switch the marketing team pulled was cruel and completely pointless. Then it gets captured in the most bs way I've ever seen. Seriously JN? Goh is such a god at his goal he wins without even trying? He threw the ball at nothing and it hit. Absolute bullshit.

Then, it did nothing but cry and disappear for a bunch of eps, suddendly decided that it wants to evolve and starts training... off-screen. Then it gets an undeserved evolution into a Drizzile that creates a plot line that actually had potential to be great... until they decide that it's gonna keep on training off-screen (again!!!) and evolve with another undeserved evolution, all of this without Goh doing nothing to help it, but still collecting the gold at the end by getting a powerful new Pokémon and two new dex entries, all this by sitting on his ass all the time.

Scorbunny, Sobble, Grookey... sweeties, I'm so sorry.

Cinderace had potential being Goh's starter but has basically dissolved into nothing, Sobble barely got much development to munch on before being forced to evolve into a Drizzile, shoved into a cave and evolve again into a Inteleon and Grookey might as well be replaced with tissue paper.

All three of them have had their potential squandered proving that the writers really could not care less about anything Galar related.

I'm gonna say Sobble was the handled the worst among the batch, and none of them have been handled that well.

Sobble first of all took 20+ episodes to even appear and suffered from the worst bait-and-switch marketing I have ever seen in the Pokemon anime. They made us think Ash was gonna catch a Sobble, only to trick us by playing audio of Ash asking G-Farfetch'd to join over a clip of Sobble. It made us think Sobble was gonna be caught by Ash, but nope. They have Sobble go to Goh.

Sobble spent most of the time doing very little. He spent the next 25 episodes as a shoulder warmer, hardly doing anything. Sobble used Water Gun once to help out with Flygon, but that was the most action Sobble got. Just one tiny moment. When they finally give Sobble a focus episode, we see him suddenly gain the motivation to evolve, which was good for a focus episode. Sobble learned U-Turn and they gave him something to look forward to, but they never do anything after. They never give an episode to Sobble to do some actual training.

Then the next big episode, Sobble evolves, despite doing very little to earn it. Sobble thought he'd evolve directly into an Inteleon, only to become depressed when he realized he was a Drizzile. This was a good idea, but the problem is they completely cast Drizzile aside. He was sentenced to moping in a cave doing nothing. We never see him grow and move on. We never get an episode to show Drizzile regain the motivation.

16 episodes later, Drizzile is suddenly out of the cave. What happened in those 16 episodes that made Drizzile suddenly motivated again? Nothing. They never gave Drizzile any focus. And what happens here? Drizzile evolves...It was absolutely unearned. No development or anything happened during the Drizzile stage. We only saw like one moment of Drizzile being delivered food in that time span. Nothing. Not only do we not get to spend some time with Drizzile, but the evolution ended up being incredibly rushed.

Well, I've already said my thoughts on these guys several times elsewhere in the forums, and they're all pretty similar to what everyone else has already said, so I really didn't feel like it was necessary to voice my thoughts, buut I was invited, so I'll try to add a silver lining to the situation: sure, the Galar Starters have so far had it rough, and it doesn't help that they had possibly the worst timing since Journeys as a whole seems to put less focus on the Pokemon themselves than past series did, BUT there might be some hope yet: we already know by previows that Lucario is going to be prominent again, so there's a chance that Cinderace might get limelight soon, since the two are supposed to be foils, so it wouldn't make sense for one to get spotlight but not the other; Inteleon also looks like it'll be used more often (no doubt a result of its popularity) and is even getting a moveset upgrade; Grookey is probably the only one that doesn't seem to be heading anywhere, but that's no reason to think nothing will come of it, since there's been quite a few comic relief cutemons who have amounted to more than just being comic relief. I will say, though, that I'd prefer if Grookey's improvement came in the form of it using actual attacks and having its poritive qualities more emphasized (instead of making Grookey the cause of every problem and never even getting called out, why not portray the monkey more as that one friend who makes a sincere effort to cheer you up when you're feeling down or something? That feels like something that'd fit its personality) rather than another evolution.

YO Cinderace fans!
I've been meaning to ask this.

Considering a lot of you guys are upset by Cinderace no longer being by Goh's side all the time...

Do you think that letting Goh have all 3 of the Starters was a mistake?

(Remember that Ash and Chloe exist and tbh I feel like a lot problems with the Galar Starters would be reduced if they all had a different trainer each)

20211007_040003.jpg
20211007_040031.jpg
20211007_035946.jpg

YO Cinderace fans!
I've been meaning to ask this.

Considering a lot of you guys are upset by Cinderace no longer being by Goh's side all the time...

Do you think that letting Goh have all 3 of the Starters was a mistake?

(Remember that Ash and Chloe exist and tbh I feel like a lot problems with the Galar Starters would be reduced if they all had a different trainer each)

View attachment 150914View attachment 150915View attachment 150916
I actually prefer having Goh with all 3 Galar starters over them being spread out between him, Ash and Goh, but they handled it terribly.

I think the reason Goh got all three is because with his goal of catching every Pokemon his team's obviously going to be in constant flux, so I guess the writers wanted to ensure he'd have more than one "permanent" party member, which the starters are the perfect excuse for seeing how they promote the newest Generation and all.

The problem is that Goh unfortunately doesn't have many opportunities to use them at their full potential due to how simple and straightforward his goal is, resulting in the Galar starters being collectively the most underutilized starter trio ever. Sure, several past series had at least one starter get the short end of the stick at the expense of another getting copious amounts of shilling, but I think that one starter being prominent is still better than no starters being prominent at all. Mind you, this might be rectified later due to Project Mew, but it's still been a rough road until that day comes.

I might change my mind later if Project Mew allows Goh's starters to shine in some meaningful way, but so far I agree with the notion that it might have been better if all three were distributed between main characters than lumping all of them on Goh.

What does the seiyuu know.....
The writers are so fickle and random.

The monkey evolving would be even more undeserved and rushed than what they did with Jimereon/Inteleon.

Messon should have been caught by Satoshi.
Just it desiring to have more self-confidence or be stronger resonates with him, and the path to evolving could have been shown via battles.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom