• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which pokemon do you think are lazily designed?

the Pokemon designed by James Turner.
Vullaby and Mandibuzz are a bit lazy, but what do you expect? You can't do much with a vulture. It's the same with the Vanillite line--you can only go so far with ice cream. (That said, Vanillite ain't nearly as lazy as Cherubi. Oh hey. A cherry. With a face. That eats it freaking twin. Big woo.) Golett and Golurk, however...

You have to admit, they are pretty danged original. I would have never thought of mixing a golem with a bit of giant robot. Seriously, that's some high grade awesome right there.

Me personally, I have to throw Bidoof out there. Yes, we get it--you're a beaver. But you're not even that cute of a beaver. -.-;

the Pokemon designed by James Turner.
Vullaby and Mandibuzz are a bit lazy, but what do you expect? You can't do much with a vulture. It's the same with the Vanillite line--you can only go so far with ice cream. (That said, Vanillite ain't nearly as lazy as Cherubi. Oh hey. A cherry. With a face. That eats it freaking twin. Big woo.) Golett and Golurk, however...

You have to admit, they are pretty danged original. I would have never thought of mixing a golem with a bit of giant robot. Seriously, that's some high grade awesome right there.

Me personally, I have to throw Bidoof out there. Yes, we get it--you're a beaver. But you're not even that cute of a beaver. -.-;

Design≠Concept

Seriously, how many times do I have to explain this?

One of the reasons I dislike the Vanillite line so much is because these ice-cream Pokemon could have been awesome had they not been so poorly designed. Talk about a unique concept ruined by shoddy execution.

Alakazam is pretty lazy too, I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to make it look more plain than its pre-evolved form. Even if the loss of the tail was intentional, whatever happened to all the occult markings it had as a Kadabra?

I think Eevee and it's evolution are kind of lazy. To me, it seemed like "Hey let's use a generic cute fox that everyone will like. Then add three basic elements. Then two more. And then two more."

I also find Plusle and Minun to have lazy designs, looking so much like Pikachu.

Probably Exeggute. I get a feeling someone had half a dozen eggs left in their fridge and they decided "Hey let's turn my breakfast into a Pokemon."

I kinda feel bad for picking on Gen I. True, almost all of them consist of "thing > bigger thing", but it was Nintendo's first time and all, you have to give them that.

I can't really think of any lazily-designed Pokémon at the moment (though I'm sure they exist), but I can name a few lazily-conceived ones. I ranted about the Tepig line a lot in my intro post, plus Ducklett/Swanna feel redundant as we already have a much better ügly duckling" line in Feebas/Milotic.

Kanto had the most lazily designed Pokémon, like Pidgey, Voltorb, etc. But at that time, Pokémon was a thing which was completely out of the world, so the creators had to make creatures which looked earth-like, like as I said, Pidgey, Rattata, Pikachu, and even the bugs (almost every one of them).

Johto, I'd say, had the best Pokémon, though some Pokémon may be excluded from being nicely designed. After Kanto's Pokémon style's, even Unova isn't that much impressive (Lillipup, Patrat, Foongus etc.), they created them on the basis of our generation (straight lines, round, cute).

I might have approached it wrongly, but you get the idea. :)

I actually Favor simplistic design over the more complicated and flashy ones. I don't think I ever got the feeling any pokemon were "lazily" designed. I mean most have some sort of back story or purpose for being the way they are. I don't care for Emboars design at all though...

Last edited:
Looking through a few of the pages, I see that most people either pick the most simple designs or the most ugly designs, but those aren't really considered lazy to me!

My least favorite Pokemon designs are chosen for a reason, and that's because their designs are so lazy that it makes my head hurt...

First off is Spiritomb... the first Pokemon that made me RAAAGE when I saw it for the first time.

Then they did it again with Cryogonal. Both Pokemon are random abstract designs with no aesthetics to them whatsoever. I hope Nintendo doesn't make any more of these types of Pokemon...

For all the crazy ideas that later Generations have had with Pokemon designs, nothing can beat the original 151 for lack of originality in hindsight. I mean, Voltorb and Electrode. Yes, the concept is interesting but what is it ultimately? It's a ball with eyes that evolves into a bigger upside down ball with eyes. And Magnemite into Magneton? It's a magnet that evolves into three of the same magnet. They aren't even attached to each other.

There are more but those are the ones off the top of my head. ;)

Then they did it again with Cryogonal. Both Pokemon are random abstract designs with no aesthetics to them whatsoever. I hope Nintendo doesn't make any more of these types of Pokemon...

... It's a snowflake with a face. I don't care if you like the design or not, but it's not a "random abstract design with no aesthetics". It's a snowflake with a face on.

I'd have to agree with the Notion that Simple =/= Lazy. In many ways, Simple Designed Pokemon (particularly the Kanto Pokemon) are in some ways superior in overall design to radically designed Pokemon. Rather in fact, I find that some of the simplest designs are some of the most believable. In cases such as the Squrtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander lines (as well as many other Kanto Pokemon), their Evolutions are Logical, Progressive stages in what you'd normally expect to see in an Evolution. Though, in cases such as Caterpie and Weedle, who's stages are almost TOO Literal, are both lazy in design yet also clever in a way because of how they were implemented.

Seel into Dewgong is a nice example of simple yet perfect design. Where as Dewgong does not radically diverge in general form from Seel, it does become (IMHO) far more Elegant and Stream-lined as opposed to Seel.
(where as, Spheal and it's family-line's design is extremely Detailed yet I find to be borderline Lazy simply because it so closely Copies Seel and Dewgong just to introduce a 3rd stage Ice/Water Walrus? It'd made more sense to make Sealeo a branch off of Seel.)
Of course, I can forgive it because there is so much Literal Diversity in Real Pinnipeds so it doesn't Violate my Suspension of Disbelief.

But I find incredible Laziness (and develop a lot of indigestion from) the designs of Dugtrio and Magneton (which aren't actually an "Evolution" per say as much as one pokemon suddenly becoming attached to another mysteriously appearing pokemon. I mean, In my mind, it's still 3 Pokemon, despite being "Linked." I can understand if it functioned like a Hive or like Lichen where one organism is composed of multiple Life forms but.....but anyway....

Now, in the case of Slowbro, where one pokemon and attach itself to another pokemon and become "Merged" with it to become a completely new composite Pokemon doesn't strike me as being all that absurd.
(although, on a side note, one case that I find VERY Lazy is SlowKing which is the exact same Pokemon as Slowbro, except it's defense stats are reversed.....)

And then there's Baby Pokemon.... Which I find extremely Lazy, in both Design and concept (maybe with the Exception of Tyrogue.) I mean, I'd would of rather seen a Evolution to Raichu rather then Pichu. They all Seam forced and cheap.

Otherwise, I can name off many Pokemon who I dislike their General Design though not on account of Laziness, rather poor foresight.

Last edited:
''I just don't like its design'' =/= It's lazy.

Let's just criticize laziness by being lazy, brilliant[/sarcasm]

People, please read, I know it might be a pain in the ass to actually read things first, but, really, elaboration helps.

Ditto. It is just a blob with eyes and a mouth. Anyone could draw it, be it young children or professional artists.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom