• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Pokémon have become Status Symbols?

Srebak

Reaction score
This is just something that I have recently thought about, which Pokémon have been made out to be such rare commodities that owning them is considered a status symbol and for obvious reasons Legendary Pokémon do not count since of course owning them would be extremely rare

For me personally, I can think of at least seven off the top of my head:

Dragonite and Garchomp, due to their association with champions

Charizard and Lucario, due to their frequently vaunted power

And

Persian, Braviary and Pyroar, due to the initial regal and high class vibe that they seem to bring with them

Any thoughts on all of this?

I'm under the impression this discussion is under the context of in-universe status symbols.

While I don't think there's been much evidence suggesting shiny Pokémon are highly valued in official media, I'd still say in the Pokémon world they'd be seen as status symbols, something only the wealthy or experienced trainers would have due to their rarity.

I'd imagine Pokemon that are difficult to raise would be seen as status symbols. Unfezent, Liligant, and Lurantis come to mind judging by their Pokedex entries.

Female Unfezent's Shield entry:
This Pokémon is intelligent and intensely proud. People will sit up and take notice if you become the Trainer of one.
Liligant's entries:
Sword:
It's believed that even first-rate gardeners have a hard time getting the flower on a Lilligant's head to bloom.
UM:
It’s well liked by other Pokémon because of its beauty. The flower on its head needs constant care, or it will soon wither and rot.
Y, AS, Black:
Even veteran Trainers face a challenge in getting its beautiful flower to bloom. This Pokémon is popular with celebrities.
Lurantis's Sun entry:
It requires a lot of effort to maintain Lurantis’s vivid coloring, but some collectors enjoy this work and treat it as their hobby.

I would assume that certain psychic types would become associated with researchers, like Lunatone and Elgyeem due to the likely large amount of research that is done on them.
Mudbray and Dugtrio/Diglett would definitely be associated with farming. The other plant Pokémon like Roselia and Vileplume are likely also associated with agriculture.
And Wooper would be associated with supreme intelligence, charisma, and power, of course.

A status symbol is something that signals wealth and/or social class. So I don’t think Pokémon owned by popular or well-known trainers would be considered status symbols just on their own. I mean, merchandise from a popular band isn’t automatically a status symbol unless it is very expensive. Likewise, I don’t think Pokémon owned by Champions or the Maximizers etc. would be seen as status symbols unless they are rare, difficult to raise/own, and/or expensive.

Last edited:
and for obvious reasons Legendary Pokémon do not count since of course owning them would be extremely rare
It’s funny that you say this considering Legendary and Mythical Pokémon perfectly fit the bill for a status symbol. Their high rarity would mean that only the very rich or experienced would be able to obtain them. Also, I’d say you’re overselling the rarity of at least some Legendary Pokémon—“lower” Legendaries like Articuno or Latias have been owned by trainers.

A status symbol is something that signals wealth and/or social class. So I don’t think Pokémon owned by popular or well-known trainers would be considered status symbols just on their own. I mean, merchandise from a popular band isn’t automatically a status symbol unless it is very expensive. Likewise, I don’t think Pokémon owned by Champions or the Maximizers etc. would be seen as status symbols unless they are rare, difficult to raise/own, and/or expensive.

Good point, though I definitely think a few Pokémon owned by prominent trainers (in some games, at least) fit this, like Metagross (in RSE, you can only get one Beldum from Steven's house).

Chansey, Smeargle, Milcery/Alcremie, Growlithe, Furfrou, Glameow... are Pokémon that portray certain professions and/or social classes.

Well, the phrase ‘Status Symbol’ just seemed to fit considering that certain Trainers who possess Pokémon like Dragonite, Charizard, Lucario and Garchomp are usually considered to be a cut above the rest

Also, I would say that both Persian and Pyroar fit the description that you just explained, considering that two have been seen in the possession of some pretty elite class people (Giovanni and Lysandre respectively)

Mythicals used to be a huge status symbol and an actual bragging right at one point although now they're way too common to feel special imo. I miss the days when owning a Jirachi or Deoxys was seen as an accomplishment. :p
Owning a Jirachi is an accomplishment in my book.

Shinies are the biggest status symbols and so are rare event Pokemon. I remember hearing about special GTS Pokemon that were given away by TPCi in 2007 and I figure that since only a few exist they are the hardest Pokemon to collect.

Spiritomb back in the days of Diamond and Pearl. Seeing Cynthia have one and you're like so eager to get one yourself. It took forever to get one. But getting one made you feel all the more cooler and proud.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom