• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Pokemon region has the least friendly locals?

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
While obviously not everyone in a region is going to have the exact same personality, I had a random thought today. Discounting the villain teams for obvious reasons, what would you say, all in all, is the meanest Pokémon region in terms of the overall friendliness of the NPCs in the games?

I would have to say probably either Kanto or Johto. Kanto has those Bikers/Cue Balls that have taken over Cycling Road, and I seem to remember GSC & HGSS having quite a few Trainers, across all classes, that trash-talk you when they challenge you to a battle. And of course there's also Silver and Clair.

I noticed that this is something GameFreak seems to have toned down more in recent Gens, at least outside of the Battle Facilities. Discounting Team Skull & Faba, I would have to say Alola seems to be overall the friendliest region by far, I mean just look at Hau and Lillie and all the Trial Captains (as opposed to Gym Leaders and their Trainers).

A couple other comments I have:

-Anime Unova has soooo many characters that are almost universally hated, that you can't help but wonder if Best Wishes was partly meant to be a parody of the rude New York stereotype. Games Unova isn't any worse than other Pokémon games, however.

-Sinnoh has some pretty arrogant & overconfident Ace Trainers, like that infamous one in Canalave Gym that calls you a noob.

-Don't go to the Battle Chateau in Kalos if you're a thin-skinned player. You'll be wishing you could have Mega Lucario use Close Combat on the Dukes and Duchesses there, and not their Pokémon...

Kanto, a good number of Trainers (especially the Hikers) aren't very nice to you, even when you defeat them.

ORAS!Hoenn has some of the worst patrons in Mauville Food Court compared to any other battle restaurant in the games before and since. They'll actually murder you over public seating.

Overall, I kind of want to say Kanto or Johto since a lot of older trainers talk down to the player character for being a kid.

Kanto, hands down, and that's not because I'm bias against Kanto. I've noticed that a lot of the trainers are either rude or look down upon you, as well as kick up a fuss when you beat them. Beauties, Hikers, Roughnecks/Cue Balls, Lasses, and some Ace Trainers are pretty nasty to you. And then let's not forget the jerk who started it all: Blue, your "lovable" rival. So I'd have to say Kanto tends to be jerk-central when it comes to least friendly locals.

Second place goes to Johto, as I've noticed during my HG run that a number of trainers, mostly Bird Keepers, Poke Maniacs, and Ace Trainers, tend to bad mouth you and generally act like cocky punks. Then there is Whitney's temper tantrum and Clair's furious denial fit when you beat them. And last, but certainly not least, Silver, the king of Johto jerks (at least before character development kicks in). But I will say Johto comes second place to Kanto.

Most friendly has to go to Alola, as everyone is virtually living in Poke-paradise, so the locals are much more laid-back and friendly. There are some pricks here and there, but generally speaking Alola has some of the nicest natives around. Even Gladion is generally a good kid, just a bit rough around the edges, but given what the kid's had to go through, it's hard not to see why, and he does gain some good character development over time. So Alola definitely gets the prize for most friendly residents.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom