• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Pokemon regions have you visited the real-life analogues of?

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
Looking back on that YouTube region countdown to the reveal of Pokémon Sword & Shield and the Galar region which asked the question, "Which region of the Pokémon World would you like to visit?", I got curious...

Since each region of the Pokémon World is based on a real life place, how many of you have more or less "visited" Pokémon regions, and if so, which ones have you been to?

I have only been to Hawaii (Alola) & New York City (Unova)...but I REALLY want to see Tokyo aka Kanto (and yes, that district of Japan IS actually named Kanto IRL!) at some point. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that 2020 will be the year that I'm finally able to do that.

I remember when I first played Pokémon Diamond & Pearl as a kid, I mentioned to my friends and made a comment on YouTube that Sinnoh reminded me of Oregon (long before I found out it was actually based on Hokkaido).

Other than Unova being New York (which is the state I live in), no. One reason is that I'm not the best traveler when it comes to flying, as I have a crippling fear of heights (which roughly turns into a fear of flying in such situations), so unless it's by car or boat, I basically stay rooted to where I am.

I live in the USA, but not the state(s) Unova is based on though, I haven't visited New York or New Jersey before and don't plan to. Haven't visited the state of Hawaii either (Alola). I have visited Phoenix, Arizona before which Orre is based off of, if side games count.

Last edited:
I don't live in NYC, but I have visited the city before, so Unova for me. If Orre is based on Phoenix in Arizona, then there's also that for side games. Beyond that, I have not visited any other real-world Pokémon regions... although I 'm not exactly sure what any of the other spin-off regions are supposed to be, if anything at all.

Until they make a pokemon game based off the midwestern United States I can't say I've been to any. :I I visited Virginia Beach once but otherwise I've not ever left the area of Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.

I have never been anywhere that Pokemon's regions are based off of. I've been to a number of US states, but not New York or Hawaii. I probably wouldn't go to Hawaii even if offered the chance. I don't want to go somewhere that is hot and humid all of the time. No thank you! I'd love to go to France and England, though.

I've visited a French quarry for almost a minute, but it was nothing like Kalos and I was'nt into Pokémon then.

Because I was'nt actually into Pokémon as a child, then around May-September 2009 I started reading about it, not because I liked it particularly but because part of me needed to get Sims 3 but my dad was opposed to me doing sims related stuff, so I resorted to Pokémon instead. In the while, I've started believing I actually was a Pokémon fan. Now I don't anymore.

I visited Hokkaido and I am so astounded by the amount of mysticism that is present. Granted, I did look at it after the fact, but we visited a number of local shrines and even partook in a ceremony. Even just strolling through the streets, I could feel the spiritual energy from all across me.

Really is reflective of Sinnoh!

Well being that I live in New Jersey the area of Unova/New York is really only right around the corner for me (being about an hour and a half away) so as such I've been there plenty of times before. Beyond that never been to any of the other region based areas cause travel isn't cheap.

I visited Hokkaido and I am so astounded by the amount of mysticism that is present. Granted, I did look at it after the fact, but we visited a number of local shrines and even partook in a ceremony. Even just strolling through the streets, I could feel the spiritual energy from all across me.

Really is reflective of Sinnoh!

WOW!!! Really?! I'm so jealous, Sinnoh is my favorite region.

I'm looking into maybe visiting Japan with my family in March 2020, but I probably won't make it to Hokkaido because it's an 8-hour train ride from Tokyo to Sapporo, almost nobody there speaks English from what I hear, and it'll still be cold & snowy.

WOW!!! Really?! I'm so jealous, Sinnoh is my favorite region.

I'm looking into maybe visiting Japan with my family in March 2020, but I probably won't make it to Hokkaido because it's an 8-hour train ride from Tokyo to Sapporo, almost nobody there speaks English from what I hear, and it'll still be cold & snowy.

Oh yes definitely do visit if you can, just Tokyo is already so astounding in its own right.

Yes, Hokkaido is a miles away and while the areas closer to travel hubs can speak decent English, being able to speak Japanese is an asset in the market areas, as well as the temple areas. I hope you'll be able to visit soon. Do shoot me a message and I'd love to share some tips with you! Cheers

I've visited Hawaii (Alola), Unova (NYC), Orre (Arizona).

I'd say the area most like the Pokémon counterpart is NYC and the New Jersey and New York area.

And the area least like the Pokémon counterpart is Arizona. The deserts in AZ are more rocky scrublands instead of the sandy wastes of Orre.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom