• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Protagonists Are Canon?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
Red is definitely canon, as Leaf wasn't officially introduced until Generation 3 (a character that looks almost identical to her appeared in many Red and Blue artworks, suggesting she was cut at the last minute and was even the basis for Green(US)/Blue(JP) in Pokémon Adventures) and outside of Colosseum and XD, she's never been seen again. Meanwhile Red is constantly brought up and fought.

Ethan is most likely canon, as Kris and Lyra didn't exist in the original Gold and Silver. However, Platinum (a third version) has been confirmed as canon through Cynthia's dialogue in Black 1/ White 1, so this brings up the question if Crystal is the canon version. However, while this seemingly eliminates Lyra, HG and SS incorporate most, if not all, of Crystal's exclusive features into its plot, making the Johto protagonists canonicity vague.

In Hoenn, it seems that May is the canon protagonist. In ORAS artwork, Brendan is much tanner than May, suggesting more time spent in the sun. Johto (where the protagonist is from) isn't known for its sun-drenched beaches or its boiling hot deserts. In fact, Johto is probably the mildest of all the regions and Ecruteak City's autum foliage even suggests that the region might even be a little chilly. Birch also states that his child spends just as much time out in the field as he does, thereby implicating Brendan as his child even further, since his ORAS clothing seems to be designed for outside exploration while May's just looks like she's going to the beach. And then there's the anime, where May is the daughter of Norman (same as the protagonist) and travels throughout Hoenn.

In Sinnoh, instead of a protagonist, we get a version canonified; Platinum. When meeting Cynthia in Caitlin's Villa in Undella Town, she mentions the Black/White Player bears a similarity to "that Trainer who faced Giratina" confirming Platinum is canon, suggesting Emerald, Crystal and Blue (not Yellow) are all canon as well, being third versions themselves. But considering how popular Dawn is, it could be argued that she's the canon protagonist and not Lucas.

In Black and White, both Hilbert and Hilda are canon in Black2/White2. When activating the N's Pokémon event through Memory Link, he mentions the name you chose as the player of Black and White, making both gender choices canon, and making your own character canon throughout your playthroughs (unless you used a friend's game. :p)

In Black 2/White 2, another game is made canon: White. While not outright stated, during Drayden's memory of giving Iris her Champion robes, it's implied she was the Opelucid Gym Leader. This memory is identical in both versions of the game, making White seemingly canon. But as of yet, Nate, Rosa, Black2 and White2's canonicity remains vague.

And Kalos is far too recent to make any decent arguments on that matter. Maybe in 2-3 years.

So here's my list, made up of arbitrary reasons:
Red (confirmed)
Kris (nostalgia factor)
May (anime, my universal Hoenn choice)
Dawn (anime, my universal Sinnoh choice)
Hilda (cute design)
Rosa (love the hair, my B2 choice)
Calem (My X choice)

Last edited:
In Sinnoh, instead of a protagonist, we get a version canonified; Platinum. When meeting Cynthia in Caitlin's Villa in Undella Town, she mentions the Black/White Player bears a similarity to "that Trainer who faced Giratina" confirming Platinum is canon, suggesting Emerald, Crystal and Blue (not Yellow) are all canon as well, being third versions themselves. But considering how popular Dawn is, it could be argued that she's the canon protagonist and not Lucas.
The argument here is that there was a Gentlemen in FireRed/LeafGreen who was traveling with a Lass named Dawn, similar to how she studies with Rowan (a gentleman if you ask me) if you choose Lucas as the PC. However, her mother in the anime resembles the PC's mother in Gen IV, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In regards to Kalos, all we can go on is the anime's logic, where Serena would be the canon protagonist (her mother is a Rhyhorn racer).

The argument here is that there was a Gentlemen in FireRed/LeafGreen who was traveling with a Lass named Dawn, similar to how she studies with Rowan (a gentleman if you ask me) if you choose Lucas as the PC. However, her mother in the anime resembles the PC's mother in Gen IV, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In regards to Kalos, all we can go on is the anime's logic, where Serena would be the canon protagonist (her mother is a Rhyhorn racer).

Wait, there was a Gentleman traveling with a Lass named Dawn in FR/LG? I completely missed that. And Johanna from the anime doesn't resemble Johanna from the games. She is her. But yeah, if going by anime logic, Serena and Dawn would be the canon ones. But then again, going by the manga, it seems that Diamond (Lucas) and X (Calem) are the "main" protagonists. So yeah, there's definitely no clear indicator. We need to tweet the guy who confirmed the timeline.

In Hoenn, it seems that May is the canon protagonist. In ORAS artwork, Brendan is much tanner than May, suggesting more time spent in the sun. Johto (where the protagonist is from) isn't known for its sun-drenched beaches or its boiling hot deserts. In fact, Johto is probably the mildest of all the regions and Ecruteak City's autum foliage even suggests that the region might even be a little chilly. Birch also states that his child spends just as much time out in the field as he does, thereby implicating Brendan as his child even further, since his ORAS clothing seems to be designed for outside exploration while May's just looks like she's going to the beach. And then there's the anime, where May is the daughter of Norman (same as the protagonist) and travels throughout Hoenn.

In B2W2 PWT, Norman says he moved from Olivine City, Johto - which is a harbor and also has beaches. Brendan's tan could have been acquired from there.

In B2W2 PWT, Norman says he moved from Olivine City, Johto - which is a harbor and also has beaches. Brendan's tan could have been acquired from there.

I forgot about that... LOL

As I see it, Red and Ethan for the first two generations (since that was all they had, originally), May and Dawn for the next two (to balance things out), and from there, canon becomes ambiguous since Generations V and VI, especially the former, seem to advocate the concept of parallel timelines.

Though honestly, it's probably better to just assume that YOU are the canon protagonist of every game.

But considering how popular Dawn is, it could be argued that she's the canon protagonist and not Lucas.

I don't think the fact that one of the PCs may be more popular than the other should determine how likely they are to be canon. I mean, that just doesn't sound like good reasoning. If we were going by that, the canon protagonists would probably be: Red, Gold/Ethan, May, Dawn, Hilda, Rosa, and Serena. If we were going by Anime logic, since Ash essentially represents all male players, May, Dawn, and Serena would still be considered canon, though it makes no sense to consider the Anime. Similarly, if we were to consider the Adventures manga, which makes more sense than considering the Anime, but still, is it's own canon, all the males based on the male PCs would be the canon heroes (Red, Gold/Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate, and Calem [I know Y is Grace's daughter, but the Adventures manga typically always makes the male the hero at the end of the day]).

For RSE, it seemed likely that Brendan was better designed as the canon protagonist, if for no other reason than that he had black hair like Norman, while May had brown hair like Birch (I believe both mothers had brown hair). In ORAS, Brendan is tanner than May and he now has brown hair, so while it is possible Brendan could be tanned and be from Johto, it seemed more reasonable that he'd be tanned in Hoenn, which is a hotter region in general. This could suggest May is from Johto, and, therefore, canon. We'll just have to wait and see how ORAS plays out before that can be determined, if it even can.

Not much can really determine which of Dawn or Lucas is canon since they both have the same color of hair as Johanna and Cynthia's BW dialogue is intentionally gender vague. Popularity would tell you it's Dawn, but it could easily be Lucas.

Similarly, it's also hard to determine which of any of the Gen 5 Protagonists are canon, since they could be whichever you chose in BW and there's nothing to suggest who is canon in BW2.

For X and Y, using the same logic from RSE, one may say that Serena is canon, simply because the default hair color is closer to Grace's than Calem's. One might argue that it's Calem due to the fact that Serena has a particular design when not chosen as the player in that she has a ponytail hairstyle, while Calem's is the same as the default without the hat. So, there's nothing really to say who is and who isn't canon there, either~

As I see it, Red and Ethan for the first two generations (since that was all they had, originally), May and Dawn for the next two (to balance things out), and from there, canon becomes ambiguous since Generations V and VI, especially the former, seem to advocate the concept of parallel timelines.

Though honestly, it's probably better to just assume that YOU are the canon protagonist of every game.

This makes sense. Especially that last sentence. I agree with Red, Ethan, May and Dawn. That leaves three sets of PC's still intentionally vague. And I love the idea that we are the canon protagonists.

In Black 2/White 2, another game is made canon: White. While not outright stated, during Drayden's memory of giving Iris her Champion robes, it's implied she was the Opelucid Gym Leader. This memory is identical in both versions of the game, making White seemingly canon. But as of yet, Nate, Rosa, Black2 and White2's canonicity remains vague.

Wouldn't White being canon make White 2 canon as well? I mean, it wouldn't make any sense for N to catch Reshiram and then show up two years later with Zekrom, who was captured by the player.

I, too, believe that White is the canon game, but for this reason: N's character development.
Ever since N was a child, Ghetsis made sure to only allow him to interact with Pokémon that were suffering from the effects of humanity, shaping N's view of the world as one where humans and Pokémon couldn't co-exist. Once N meets the player, however, this view starts to crumble. He is intrigued to see that there are Pokémon that genuinely enjoy being with humans, and decides that he wants to learn more about the real world. Hence, he becomes the Hero of Truth, seeking to uncover the reality of the bonds between humans and Pokémon rather than seeking his own ideals. At least, that's what I'm getting out of it.

As for answering the question:
Red
Ethan
May
Lucas
Hilbert
Rosa
And I'm still on the fence about Calem/Serena. I'm leaning towards Serena, just so it'll be more even gender-wise, but I'm going to have to wait and see if we get a third version for X and Y before I make my final decision.

I'm actually planning out a story focused around the descendants of the player characters, with Red's great-grandson being the main character.

Last edited:

Wouldn't White being canon make White 2 canon as well? I mean, it wouldn't make any sense for N to catch Reshiram and then show up two years later with Zekrom, who was captured by the player.

I, too, believe that White is the canon game, but for this reason: N's character development.
Ever since N was a child, Ghetsis made sure to only allow him to interact with Pokémon that were suffering due from the effects of humanity, shaping N's view of the world as one where humans and Pokémon couldn't co-exist. Once N meets the player, however, this view starts to crumble. He is intrigued to see that there are Pokémon that genuinely enjoy being with humans, and decides that he wants to learn more about the real world. Hence, he becomes the Hero of Truth, seeking to uncover the reality of the bonds between humans and Pokémon rather than seeking his own ideals. At least, that's what I'm getting out of it.

Red
Ethan
May
Lucas
Hilbert
Rosa
And I'm still on the fence about Calem/Serena. I'm leaning towards Serena, just so it'll be more even gender-wise, but I'm going to have to wait and see if we get a third version for X and Y before I make my final decision.

I'm actually planning out a story focused around the descendants of the player characters, with Red's great-grandson being the main character.

OH, right! I forgot that if you play White, in White 2 N comes back with Reshiram. And I do like N's development as the reason for it. Seems much more solid. So yeah, then the official Pokémon canon would be: Blue, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White, White2, and then... Z? XY? YY? Who knows... LOL Probably Y, since Yveltal brings destruction, same as the Ultimate Weapon. But then again, Xerneas grants life and both AZ and Floette are immortal now...

But back to the main topic, what makes you think Lucas, Hilbert and Rosa are the canon protagonists?

Last edited:

Ever since N was a child, Ghetsis made sure to only allow him to interact with Pokémon that were suffering due from the effects of humanity, shaping N's view of the world as one where humans and Pokémon couldn't co-exist. Once N meets the player, however, this view starts to crumble. He is intrigued to see that there are Pokémon that genuinely enjoy being with humans, and decides that he wants to learn more about the real world. Hence, he becomes the Hero of Truth, seeking to uncover the reality of the bonds between humans and Pokémon rather than seeking his own ideals. At least, that's what I'm getting out of it.

Red
Ethan
May
Lucas
Hilbert
Rosa

OH, right! I forgot that if you play White, in White 2 N comes back with Reshiram. And I do like N's development as the reason for it. Seems much more solid. So yeah, then the official Pokémon canon would be: Blue, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White, White2, and then... Z? XY? YY? Who knows... LOL Probably Y, since Yveltal brings destruction, same as the Ultimate Weapon. But then again, Xerneas grants life and both AZ and Floette are immortal now...

But back to the main topic, what makes you think Lucas, Hilbert and Rosa are the canon protagonists?

Mostly the fact that I think they look better paired with their respective version mascots (Lucas with Giratina, Hilbert with Zekrom, Rosa with White Kyurem/Reshiram). :p I mean, with Red, it's just common sense, he's the guy we all think of when someone says "Pokémon Trainer." Ethan's the original protagonist of Gen. II, so why wouldn't he be canon? May... I have to admit, the fact that she's my favorite anime character was the main influence. I had no idea how else to choose the others.

I'm also of the opinion that Y would be the canon version if we don't get a third installment. I just can't see the energy of a Pokémon that represents life being able to power a machine that's designed to wipe out every living thing on the planet.
However, that makes it a little hard to explain how the Kalos protagonist's descendants have both Yveltal AND Xerneas since only Yveltal would have been woken up...

Last edited:
My friend assumes that the canon protagonists are the male ones. I, however, am skeptical on that belief. It's obvious that Red is the canon one because Leaf wasn't even playable until FRLG and the Beta female who I assume Leaf was based off of was cut from RBY. I think the same could be said for Gold/Ethan. Based on the B2W2 trailer, it seems that Nate is the canon one. I don't think that I can say the same for anyone else.

But as said before by posters above me, I think it's safer to believe that the canon protagonist is YOU.

I believe that whoever the canon protagonist of each game (as well as the canon version) depends on the player's perspective of which is canon and which is non-canon or an alternate timeline. Red is the only real universal exception given his appearance in G/S/C/HG/SS, every other protagonist depends on what you consider them to be.

Unlike the anime and the manga, what happens in the games is all determined by the player's choices, such as which version they play, which gender the character is, what their starter is, etc. and there is no solid definition as to what the official canon version of each game is, because it's all up to self-interpretation. Pokemon has always been a game about not just catching all the creatures, but also making choices, because rather than following a solid narrative like Ash's journey in the anime or the adventures of the Dex holders in the manga, everything is up to the player.

With that in mind, what do I consider the canon and non-canon player and version? Up until Gen 5 I always believed that the third version is the true, canon version and that the other two versions are alternate timelines, as for who the protagonist is, here are my interpretations:

• Gen 1 - Because the only difference between the games are what Pokemon are available, it's hard to say what the canon version is, and since there was only one gender choice at the time, as well as his appearance as the "final boss" of Gen 2, Red is definitely the true protagonist of Gen 1.
  • Gen 2 - Ethan is the canon protagonist and Crystal is the canon version, nothing much can be said here.
  • Gen 3 - Brendan is the canon protagonist and Emerald is the canon version, though it's stated by Steven in HG/SS that he's the champion of Hoenn, it's quite possible that Steven is the true champion while Wallace is an acting champion.
  • Gen 4 - Lucas is the canon protagonist and Platinum is the canon version, given Cynthia mentioning a trainer who fought Giratina, specifically referring to the events of Platinum.
  • Gen 5 - This one is a tricky one given that we have sequels instead of a third version, but I always believed it was the White version (both W1 and W2) that are the canon versions. As for who the canon protagonists are, I will say that Hilda was the protagonist for W1 and Nate was for W2.
  • Gen 6 - Like Gen 5, this one is tricky, especially since it's the current generation. Until we get confirmation of a third game or they go the sequel route like BW2, I will say that for the time being, Calem is the protagonist and X is the canon version.
Like I said earlier, this is what I personally believe, because what the actual canon protagonists and versions of each generation are depend on what the player believes they are and that nothing is set truly in stone.

Well, I don't think that we can decide which of the player characters are canon, but we may speculate.

Red and Ethan was true protagonists of their respective generations. I think this is obvious. For the games, there isn't any difference back in Gen1 games and either can be canon. But Red's name is Red for a reason and I guess Pokemon Red is the canon version. I believe Crystal is the canon of Gen2, simply because remakes of Gen2 is largely based on Crystal.

Both Wallace and Steven competes in PWT as Champions therefore canon confirms them both as Hoenn Champions. This means Emerald is canon, because in Emerald Steven was a champion and Wallace replaces him. Blue also competes as a Champion, despite the fact Red replaces him. May and Brendan both have grey eyes and brown hair. Norman has grey eyes and Birch has brown hair. I guess they are trying to not to hint which one of the characters is the canon but I guess it is Brendan. Norman is from Olivine City, which is a harbour city, and this may explain why Brendan is tan. Littleroot city is not, therefore May is not tan.

Platinum is the canon, as mentioned by Cynthia in B/W. Although their sprite strongly suggests, I don't think Gentleman Brooks and Lass Dawn in SS Anne in FR/LG represents Dawn and Professor Rowan because Lass Dawn's Japanese name is Yuka. But it still can be a hint anyway. Also there's a ticket for the luxury liner SS Anne in the programming code of D/P. I don't know if all of these mean something, but if it is, it simply means Lucas is the canon and Dawn is Professor Rowan's assistant. But here is an exciting theory: Dawn is canon and Lucas grew up to be Professor Sycamore of Kalos. Sycamore used to study with Rowan in Sinnoh and Lucas and Sycamore share their hair and eye colours. I know Professor Sycamore's first name is Augustine but he doesn't have a first name in Japanese, therefore anything is possible.

I don't have any idea which one of the Gen5 or Gen6 games is canon, because i think it's too early to speculate.

Red and Ethan are most definitely canon. I'm not sure about Hoenn; I'm going to guess Brendan, though; he bears more of a resemblance to Norman. Sinnoh, I'd probably guess Dawn, if for no reason other than we need at least one female and was heavily advertised in the anime, Unova I always assumed Hilbert, but there's no real way to confirm that. It's also entirely impossible to guess B2W2, but I've always assumed Nate due to heavy advertisement in the trailer, but who knows? The trailer wasn't very resemblant to the game (when did the protagonist actively chase the Shadow Triad?) Let's not get into Kalos, although I'm guessing Serena.

As for canon games? I'm guessing the third versions. Yes, this includes Yellow because Pikachu. If it's Crystal, however, the canon protagonist would presumably be Kris, guessing by both name and exclusiveness. Hoenn is undoubtedly Emerald, and Platinum was actually confirmed in Black and White. If we're assuming the Entralink isn't some wacky dream by the protagonist, then BOTH versions of BW and it's sequels are canon. We'll see if Z comes out; if not, I'm guessing X because I imagine the life-giver would be much more fitting for a good-hearted trainer (stated several times in the game), considering he/she is a Mary Sue and is perfect and blah blah.

Let's get back to Unova; this is more complicated. You COULD say it is Black because Reshiram represents the truth that people and Pokemon need to stick together and all, but there is the compelling theory Pokemon Spectrum posted. I'm going to assume White out of bias, but eh, who knows?

I'm not exactly sure why people are so sure Ethan is the canon trainer from GSC/HGSS? From what I can tell nothing in the games show that Ethan is more canon than Lyra. Red's situation is different because he, unlike Leaf, literally shows up in later games as the (former) Champion, but just because there was a female trainer-shuffle doesn't necessarily mean Lyra isn't canon. (Though clearly Game Freak didn't think Kris was canon enough to bring her back in HGSS.) I personally believe he's the canon trainer, sure, but as far as I can tell there's no definite proof that he is the canon trainer.

I also don't think Cynthia's confirmation of Platinum implies that all "third versions" are canon. Red's team in GSC/HGSS/B2W2 are Pokémon he receives from NPCs in Pokémon Yellow, and part of HGSS's Cerulean Cave comes from Yellow, but the significant stuff (like the prelude to Team Rocket's plot in GSC/HGSS) comes from FRLG. Everything significant story-wise in Crystal was pretty much brought over to HGSS, but Ho-oh's catching requirements in Crystal were not--and speaking of, the Clear Bell was brought over... but it was used to capture Ho-oh, not Suicune. Rayquaza's relationship to Groudon and Kyogre, as shown in Emerald, is confirmed through HGSS... but we'll see how this plays out in ORAS.

Ever since N was a child, Ghetsis made sure to only allow him to interact with Pokémon that were suffering from the effects of humanity, shaping N's view of the world as one where humans and Pokémon couldn't co-exist. Once N meets the player, however, this view starts to crumble. He is intrigued to see that there are Pokémon that genuinely enjoy being with humans, and decides that he wants to learn more about the real world. Hence, he becomes the Hero of Truth, seeking to uncover the reality of the bonds between humans and Pokémon rather than seeking his own ideals. At least, that's what I'm getting out of it.
But Black's story works just as well.

In both Black and White, N initially wants to separate humans and Pokémon because he believes that Pokémon reach perfection when they're not caught in Poké Balls. In White, N believes this is the truest way for Pokémon to reach perfection, but after his battle with the protagonist he goes on a search with Reshiram to find what a true environment for Pokémon to reach perfection really looks like. In Black, N believes this is the ideal way for Pokémon to reach perfection, but after his battle with the protagonist he goes on a search with Zekrom to find what an ideal environment for Pokémon to reach perfection really looks like. Even with the few switched words the story works in both games without any hiccups. Game Freak left "truth" and "ideals" ambiguous in these games for a reason (which is why I find XY, particularly X, so funny story-wise).

The only evidence that suggests White is canon over Black is the Memory Link between Drayden and Iris, but even that's a little ambiguous because we're never sure when exactly Iris gives up her position as Gym Leader. (It's possible Iris was Gym Leader just prior to the events in Black, and that the reason she wasn't the Gym Leader in Black was that she was getting ready for her battle with Alder. Obviously in White she would've given up the position after the events in that game. Remember: Black is about looking into the future, while White is about celebrating the past!)

I can't say which protagonists are 100% canon; only which ones I prefer to think of as the canon character.

I definitely regard Red and Ethan as the canon protagonists for their games for the obvious reasons already stated.

In gen 3 it really could be either one. I typically view Brendan as being the protagonist without many specific reasons other than I prefer the story element of a young boy having to surpass his father rather than a daughter. It just has more meaning for me personally, but like I said, there are no reasons why it couldn't be May.

For gen 4, I choose Dawn as the protagonist for similar reasons to the above. Just like Brendan surpassing his father in a gym battle, I prefer the challenge of having Dawn eventually beating her mother in a contest. I also feel better thinking that a 60 year old male professor has a young male assistant rather than a female.

In gens 5 and 6 since there were no contests mothers to beat, no father gym leaders to beat, and are initially given 2 protagonists to choose from this really makes it just a preference choice. In gen 5, it's just an either/or situation for me. I just say that whichever gender was canon in BW is also canon in BW2. If Hilda was canon, then Rosa is canon. If Hilbert was canon, Nate is canon. I usually lean towards the girls personally, but mainly since I'm a girl and these 2 are who I played as. In gen 6, I pick Calem as the protagonist so Sycamore's original group contained an equal number of boys and girls.

But Black's story works just as well.

In both Black and White, N initially wants to separate humans and Pokémon because he believes that Pokémon reach perfection when they're not caught in Poké Balls. In White, N believes this is the truest way for Pokémon to reach perfection, but after his battle with the protagonist he goes on a search with Reshiram to find what a true environment for Pokémon to reach perfection really looks like. In Black, N believes this is the ideal way for Pokémon to reach perfection, but after his battle with the protagonist he goes on a search with Zekrom to find what an ideal environment for Pokémon to reach perfection really looks like. Even with the few switched words the story works in both games without any hiccups. Game Freak left "truth" and "ideals" ambiguous in these games for a reason (which is why I find XY, particularly X, so funny story-wise).

The only evidence that suggests White is canon over Black is the Memory Link between Drayden and Iris, but even that's a little ambiguous because we're never sure when exactly Iris gives up her position as Gym Leader. (It's possible Iris was Gym Leader just prior to the events in Black, and that the reason she wasn't the Gym Leader in Black was that she was getting ready for her battle with Alder. Obviously in White she would've given up the position after the events in that game. Remember: Black is about looking into the future, while White is about celebrating the past!)

But you have to admit that N looks better with Reshiram than he does with Zekrom. Zekrom's appearance is fierce and dynamic, while Reshiram's is more gentle and elegant. Therefore, Reshiram makes a better fit for N since he doesn't like seeing Pokémon get hurt, and is generally a gentle person. I know it's not as convincing an argument as looking at the story elements, but it's still one of the main reasons why I think White and White 2 are canon.

Jasmine certainly isn't tan. In fact, she could easily pass off as May's older sister, and I actually think it would be interesting if that were the case (which it probably isn't).

But it's worth mentioning that Norman himself is actually noticeably tanner than Birch is in the new artwork. But skin tones aren't a reliable indicator of family relation, as even people from the same family (who live in the same area) have varying tan degrees depending on their sun exposure. That said, you'd think that Professor Birch of all people would be tan from doing research in Hoenn routes. Does his child do most of the work for him? I guess that the games imply that, anyway.

I think that May is the canon protagonist simply because NPC Brendan has better characterization than she does. Unlike May, Brendan is sexist (belittling the player for being a girl) and also has a unique line where he mentions wanting to open a gym in Slateport City. In contrast, NPC May isn't very memorable (Bianca is pretty much a more fleshed out version of her). Let's compare their Match Call profiles:

Rad Neighbor Brendan
Strategy: Battle with knowledge!
Trainer's Pokémon: I will use various Pokémon.
Self-Introduction: I'll be a better Pokémon prof than my father is!

Rad Neighbor May
Strategy: I'm not so good at battles.
Trainer's Pokémon: I'll use any Pokémon!
Self-Introduction: My Pokémon and I help my father's research.

Last edited:
But you have to admit that N looks better with Reshiram than he does with Zekrom. Zekrom's appearance is fierce and dynamic, while Reshiram's is more gentle and elegant. Therefore, Reshiram makes a better fit for N since he doesn't like seeing Pokémon get hurt, and is generally a gentle person. I know it's not as convincing an argument as looking at the story elements, but it's still one of the main reasons why I think White and White 2 are canon.

Eh, I'm not really one for looks--I was just commenting on Black's (and White's) story. :) Though I'll take any story that allows me to catch Zekrom.

Based on the B2W2 trailer, it seems that Nate is the canon one. I don't think that I can say the same for anyone else.

I completely forgot about that animated trailer for B2W2! (Sidebar why hasn't this been done again?!) Yeah, using this we could say that Nate is the canon protagonist for B2W2. Too bad it doesn't show enough of Opelucid to let us know which story is canon, although considering the trailer is supposed to sell both versions, that's not necessarily surprising.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom