• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which real-life place would you like a future Pokémon region to be based on?

It is very multicultural everyone has diff skin colors too and propably ethnicities

Cilan Chili and Cress - irish\scottish
Lenora - black african
Burgh - ashkenazi jewish
Elesa - scandinavian
Clay - japanese trying to be from the wild west but actually from viridian city
Skyla - italian
Brycen - korean
Drayden - one fourth black three fourth white
Iris - either mulatto, khoisan, or half khoisan quarter black african and quarter white
Roxie - welsh\english
Marlon - german\swiss\austrian with an heavy tan
Grimsley - transylvanian and his family were said to be vampires
Shauntal - half asian half white
Marshall - afroamerican
Caitlin - ainu\japanese from sinnoh
Alder - mostly white but quarter native central\south american and like one sixteenth native unovan
Ghetsis, N, Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa - german
Bianca - italian and french
Cheren - half eastern european and half east asian
Hugh - eastern european
Yancy, Curtis, Colress - german and french
Anthea and Concordia - literal goddesses\legendaries given human form.

I think I purposedly ignored Vani because icecream can be Americna too. And for the golems, I just missed them because I was always more attached to the Pawniard line. Just - it's an american region who still has japanese reference pokemon

Honestly, I don't want the next games to go full high fantasy.

Adding more fantastical places like the ultra worlwhole, other dimensions, or possiblity a floating land would be nice, but not a 100% fantastic region. The Pokemon franchise is known for basing its regions on real world countries, and this is a really unique and fun feature. There's tons of other games that create maps from zero, so there's no reason to Pokemon following this route too. Also there's lot of gamers that would like to see their own place represented. One of the funniest discussions when a new game is announced is guessing which culture the next region will take inpiration. Its easier for them to base the map on a existing place, and fun for the fanbase to speculate, so everybody wins.

Unlikely countries: any Arabian countries (Muslim depiction controversy incoming...), Sweden or other scandinavia (not enough nature diversity and I think the Japanese aren't familiar enough with them), any Slavic country (same reasons)

Personally, I want to see India and China, Brazil too. But China most of all.
Sweden and especially Norway would make awesome regions, especially if they focus on the snow theme. Scandinavia is a gorgeous place, the fjords are beautiful. France and NY are not known particularly for having a diverse biome, and most Pokemon are not based on the fauna of the real place. Agree with the Muslim and Arabian contries, Russia is very unlikely as well. (but i think it would make a gorgeous region ;\).

All of the civilisations on our planet are cornucopias of diversity & potential & interest, I think we could agree, although I have mused that there could be much creative liberty & different kind of wonder in a region without a real-world basis.

I doubt that this comment can contribute much; the creation of a vast expanse of land & communities & dozens of creatures without a restrictions would probably be too strenuous for seemingly perpetual, scheduled series. Still, I would like to believe that a "handmade" land would allow for some rather unique locations and, of course, Pokémon that have adapted & survived.

So yeah. Besides Africa I'd like to see Australia, too. That way I can catch myself a roo.

(No reason not to btw. Australia too small for you? They can improvise. They put freaking Lon Lon Ranch in Alola.)

They can have a new kangaroo line in an African region, too. The real life basis does'nt usually influence the Pokémon lines actually introduced in the same game.

They propably would never do something right from scratch unless its like a neural network RNG region thing.

I can see a Dingo as being most likely normal or fire type because design-wise it would pretty much be an orange dog

homewher it could be any type really. Beside maybe Bug or Dragon.

Mega Ampharos is only dragon because "dragon" and "flow" (as in electric current) are both pronounced Ryu. Guess that's why he has long flowing hair. And Exeggutor is partly based on a plant named Dracaena. So maybe if the dingo gets a name that can sounds like a dragon or bug pun, he can have those types.

And for a dingo being pure flying, he could be a special-oriented air elemental even without being something usually associated with flying and\or the sky.

I'd really like to see a Canada-esque region - mountain ranges and forests and lakes, with a real camping feel to it. Even if it might begin to feel samey, but hey, that's always the danger of basing a region off a country. Otherwise, something seriously Asian with a variant of the Gobi Desert in it. Deserts are always a pain in video games, but if you make it this huge yellow flatland...
Actually, how would that work out?
And Australia would be a cool idea. It certainly has variety, and it'd be cool to see a tin shack in a dried-up cross-section with an old man with wine corks suspended from his fishing hat... and he speaks like he's had a stroke.

I just have one request, Game Freak, before I die - which will be very soon if you don't get a move on already.
Naked mole rat! Make it happen, people.

Oh, and a lot of African vibes, obviously. I'm pretty enamoured with the little I know of the country. So yes. Put some of that in there. Beads and zebras and what not.

It could have a native/settler motif, maybe a split evolution, one based on australia before it was colonized, and one based on modern australia. Dark for the settlers and Fairy for the aboriginals.

But actually, I think that if the dingo was based on aboriginal culture it'd propably have fairy or ghost as a secondary, but grass or ground or normal or fire as a primary.

but really it could have any motif

Natu and Xatu - birds with totem motif
Remoraid and Octillery - fish and octopus with gun\tank motif
Delibird - bird with Christmas motif
Smeargle - dog with painter motif

a pokemon's motif has often nothing to do with the actual animal it's based on. Like, there could be a Native American dingo. Egyptian Pharaoh dingo. French Royalty dingo. Geisha dingo. Mecha dingo. Scene queen dingo.

But I'd rather have just it. Yes, Pokémon sometimes have motifs, but usually they just take an animal\plant\item and an elemental type.

Types for a possible Dingo mon from likely to least likely:

Likely ones
Normal - the usual type for when its a regular animal
Fire - would work with the orange color.
Dark - They're kinda aggressive and could have a colonization theme.
Ground - Would easily work.
Fight - it could work since they tend to be powerful and aggressive sometimes

Somewhat likely ones
Rock - It could work but maybe not so soon after Lycanroc.
Grass - Maybe. Likely it would be Rock\Grass and an abandoned mossy temple statue theme.
Electric - Would be like a second Electrike line.
Fairy - Would be pink and elegant. Perhaps suppose to be mischievous. Would have aboriginal culture theme.
Psychic - Maybe with some magic or cosmic kind of motif.

Unlikely ones
Ice - Could almost be more of an ice wolf, but.
Water - Having it be a water elemental would be a nice spin, although Dingos aren't associated with water, we have a precedent in the Marill line. Pan\Simipour and Vaporeon too, but they have counterparts of other types.
Ghost - Would be an awesome new spin. A Pokémon designed like a ghost of a dingo.
Steel - Could be a robotic looking dingo, I guess.

Impropable ones
Poison - One of the few non-poisonous animals in Australia and you make *that* Poison? Then again the Nido line exists so there's a precedent.
Flying - well, it could also be an air elemental, but. Not the best type for it.
Dragon - If they can work out a pun.
Bug - Bah. They're all based on simpler animals like insects and arachnids.

China would work well due to the incredible biodiversity in the region. You've got pretty much every biome except tundra. And of course, the futuristic looking cities could provide an amazing backdrop for a cyberpunk-esque plotline.

Also, what about a science fiction themed setting with space colonies and the natural satellites around the planet or even other planets within the same solar system?

I want it to be London but a fusion between Victorian and modern London. Also, the London Underground PLS :p

If they're ever going to based on Japanese regions, Chugoku and Tohoku would be viable. The Pokémon-verse Chugoku would share the similar backstory with Kyushu/Okinawa-based Hoenn as these two regions suffered atomic attacks during WWII. And there are real-world Pokémon Centers in Hiroshima of Chugoku region as well as Fukuoka of Kyushu region (which Petalburg City is based on). Also, for Poké-Tohoku, it would be similar except Tohoku has suffered earthquakes in 2011. And for the Japanese pronouns, Tohoku has more women using masculine pronouns so making tough females can be easy in this region.

If they want to do farther-away region, I think South-East Asia or Australia/New Zealand could be possible.

Lots of interesting ideas in this thread- I'm seconding Greece. Good geographical diversity, history, architecture, mythology that could easily be related to Pokémon, etc.

Maybe I'm just biased because I live there, but I'd like to see the United Kingdom as a region with Northern Ireland housing a new Battle Tower feature, as they're often isolated from the main landmass (think Sakhalin, the Russian island whose southern end corresponds to the Battle Zone of DPPt). Greece and Scandinavia would be treats for the eyes too.

Europe in general seems to have a ton of material, I believe.

New England (biases due to it being where I live)
South Africa (a savannah region needs to happen)
Mexico (Mesoamerican legendary mascots plz)
India (lots of epic geography)
Alaska (cold region again)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom