• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to?

KidWithTheGoldenArmaldo

Trust me, I'm the Doctor.
Reaction score
So, Johto was sort of a spiritual sequel to the Kanto games, and Gen V is getting direct sequels in the form of BW2.

If Gamefreak was to continue this trend and go back to make direct sequels for the other games (not remakes like FRLG and HGSs, but proper sequels like RB2 or RS2), what would you want to see?

Personally, I'd love to see what Team Rocket's up to in the Johto region. Or even a game that expanded DPP and showed a sort of reawakening of Team Galactic. What about you guys?

I'd like a sequel to Hoenn, it was the most interesting region.

I want a sequel for Kanto. I know we've already played through Kanto 2 different ways already but I've played through RBY more times than I can remember and I'd love to mix it up in that region

I hope they make a sequel to Hoenn! It's really annoying that I can't play the game anymore because of the...I think it's called the berry glitch, it corrupts my saved file EVERY SINGLE TIME. Stupid internal battery...

A sequel for Hoenn games would be really cool, but I would prefer sequel to the Sinnoh games!

Sinnoh > All :D

Hoenn remakes would feel odd since gen III pokemon have apparently travelled through time to get to gen V, which is why I'd say I would love to see Hoenn have a 'sequel'. Team Magma and Aqua disbanded, so maybe their leaders became rival gym leaders or something. Brandon/May becomes the professor, and pokemon from Unova have appeared in Hoenn. New towns could be added and the Hoenn ribbons re-obtainable (except for the Victory Ribbon since it was replaced). The Safari Zone gets an upgrade (and the catch rates SERIOUSLY improved), and more bridges/boats are added so we don't have to surf everywhere.

Hoenn and Shinnoh, most definitely. Kanto already got a sequel, it's called Pokemon Gold and Silver. :/

Though if we do see a Hoenn Sequel, as much as I loved Team Magma and Aqua, I'd rather see new villains. I wouldn't object to meeting a reformed Maxie, though, heehee...

I also hope we don't see any Previous Player Character Cameos. OTL I hated that about Red, and I'm glad GAME FREAK didn't repeat the same mistake with Hilbert and Hilda.

Thousand times Hoenn! As ruby was my first Pokemon game, Id really like to play it on my DS with battle animations and some new features

I'd rather they focus on making fresh, new locations instead of endlessly rehashing the old ones. We've been to Kanto 4 times now (RBY, GSC, FR/LG, and HG/SS). Even doing it in GLORIOUS 3D would be trying to milk the same old cow. Man, I could really go for ice cream right about now...

I want a sequel for Kanto. I know we've already played through Kanto 2 different ways already but I've played through RBY more times than I can remember and I'd love to mix it up in that region

Well the problem with your post is that HG/SS are the sequels to LG/FR but i want a new Hoenn game

Hoenn remakes would feel odd since gen III pokemon have apparently travelled through time to get to gen V, which is why I'd say I would love to see Hoenn have a 'sequel'. Team Magma and Aqua disbanded, so maybe their leaders became rival gym leaders or something. Brandon/May becomes the professor, and pokemon from Unova have appeared in Hoenn. New towns could be added and the Hoenn ribbons re-obtainable (except for the Victory Ribbon since it was replaced). The Safari Zone gets an upgrade (and the catch rates SERIOUSLY improved), and more bridges/boats are added so we don't have to surf everywhere.

They wouldn't release sequels to Hoenn before releasing remakes...

Unova. But I mean a region directly south of Unova, and it would be what Johto is to Kanto (though bigger and better and not so shoddy). And seeing as there's a lot more space on a 3DS game than a DS one, you could bring back Unova again three years after B2W2, and then not have Unova in it again for another couple of generations.

They wouldn't release sequels to Hoenn before releasing remakes...

Not necessarily. There were no remakes of RBGY when the 'sequels' GSC were made, nor remakes of BW before BW2. There's no evidence that could suggest or disprove the possiblity of a Hoenn sequel, especially if we consider the "after a long travel through time" shtick we get for Gen III pokemon in gen V.

The thing about the notion of sequels is that to a certain degree, the nature of a sequel, and how good it would be, would depend on the game it's coming from. That is, GSC as a response to RBY is way different from BW2 as a response to BW1. A sequel to any region would be very different depending on the events of the previous games in that region.

GSC was very much about expanding the universe of Pokemon rather than expanding the story. The characters who have story arcs in it either have very general (and I would argue unsatisfying) arcs, or are fairly far removed from the player emotionally. For example, Red is little more than an easter egg. Blue went from nearly being champion to being gym leader, with little fuss about how that effected him. Only Professor Oak and Giovanni get anything approaching character arcs, and the latter only in the remakes as a few throw away lines.

No, the focus of GSC as an expansion was expanding mechanics and the way the world worked: GSC introduced items and breeding, and HGSS introduced the walking thing (which has been backtracked upon, natch).

The Unova arc is much different. Unova has been character- and story-driven from the start. We are in some ways secondary in the early game to watching Cheren struggle to exceed others' standards, Bianca struggle to meet others' standards at all, and N wrangle with opposing sets of standards. In some ways Unova is the first story in the series, as well, where these pre-programmed NPCs really attempt to engage with our feelings and opinions. Consider the constant questions about whether you have a dream, and whether you're satisfied with your choices.

Naturally BW2 followed from this, with complex and fairly satisfying character arcs for four of the major players from the previous generation: Bianca, Cheren, N, and Alder.

If we go back and get sequels for Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh, we can't expect them to feel like GSC/HGSS or BW2. Why? Because they're responding to different things.

To be completely honest, I only really want a Unova sequel. That is, I only want a sequel to the story of N. I would like to see a game about where N went after BW1. I would even try it if the mechanics differed substantially from the mainline games because I care that much about N. Another game set in or around Unova, that dealt with ideas from Unova, would be satisfactory. I want to keep talking about the ethics of Pokemon training. I want to keep looking at what you have to do to change yourself, or the world. I like the deep, psychological, even cerebral place that set of games went.

If I were to see sequels to DPPt, I would expect them to be very centered on power and the metagame, and I would expect them to deal extensively with themes of the pursuit of power, of societal use and distribution of power, and how people get their way. I want to see what happens to the remains of Team Galactic with a power vaccuum, without their culty leader.

If I were to see sequels to RSE, well, that's harder. RSE has a better plot than RBY/GSC in terms of development, but it wasn't very character driven. Wally's evolution was treated more like a subplot than anything. The theme of RSE seemed to be balance and the relationship between man and his environment, so I would expect a sequel plot to deal with that same idea. Still, the whole "we're going to pursue extremism until it endangers even everything we care about, then act shocked at our own stupidity" plotline has already been done and resolved. There's no room to really develop Hoenn any more along that line without drawing in elements from another region of the game.

Ergo, I would expect a RSE sequel to center on remnants of Team Plasma or Team Galactic operating in Hoenn, and I would expect Latios and Latias to be the central Pokemon. Those two groups made their bread and butter on extremism, and they're the only good fit for it. Magma or Aqua trying again would be trite, especially after both Team Rocket and Team Plasma have had a second go at it. Magma or Aqua or both assisting the PC in stopping either Plasma or Galactic would work.

Along that line, I think Plasma would work better for that story than Galactic, since the rank and file members of Plasma are portrayed as much more human, since the nature of the team after their first defeat has been set up, and the natural schism in the group welcomes discussion about extremism.

So, with all that laid out, here is what I would like to see in the next Pokemon sequel:

Region: Hoenn
Villainous Team: Plasma splinter group still advocating the extreme separation of humans and Pokemon, possibly formed by, lead by, or backed by one of the Pokemon N was given as a child
Villainous Team Leader: One of the seven sages who is not Ghestis, Zinzolin, or Rood
Pokemon Professor: Birch or his child
Champion: May or Brendan
Prominent Trainers: Steven, Wally, Birch's Child, N, Hilda/Hilbert (as informed by memory link; Hilbert by default), Rosa/Nate (as informed by memory link, Rosa by default, or Nate by default if BW1 with female PC is linked but no BW2 is linked), possibly Cynthia, Barry, Dawn, Lucas, Red, Ethan, Lyra
How the main character gets drawn into the villain plot: Starter is stolen
Primary goal of the villainous team: Hack the graphical pokemon storage system and use it to release all captured Pokemon in the wrong regoin
Supplementary region: Sinnoh, where you must go to rescue your starter after defeating the team.

Plot: A splinter faction of Team Plasma advocating the forceful separation of humans and Pokemon begin abducting Pokemon in Hoenn, which has gotten less attention from powerful trainers in recent years. The Plasma faction is taking the Pokemon it's stealing, sending them to other regions, and setting them free, forcing the Pokemon to separate from their trainers. The PC would receive his or her pokemon before they started making major moves in the region, but quickly have their "starter" stolen. The whole game would be a quest to get it back before it makes its way to the port in Slateport, where it would be sent to another region. Or, possibly, you don't make it in time and have to go to that other region, likely Sinnoh, to get it back. Team Plasma's ultimate plan would be to obtain the source code for the graphical box system created by Lanette and hack into it, allowing them to steal all the Pokemon of all trainers in every region and set them all free in the wrong region.

At some point, they would actually manage to break into the system, and so your team would be locked to whatever you had out for the final portion of the fight against them. However, you would stop them before your Pokemon are sent to another region, or after only a small number of them are.

TLDR: A good sequel to a Pokemon game takes the really important aspect of the previous game and expands on it. Since Dppt was driven by Team Galactic, a good sequel would have to keep using Team Galactic. Since RSE was driven by the idea of extremism being bad, and since Team Magma/Aqua not learning their lesson would be stupid, an RSE sequel would have to have a villainous team from another region taking whatever they did before to preposterous extremes. Galactic wasn't really clear on its goals, so you'd have to use Team Plasma. Ergo, I hope to see a Hoenn-centered game where an extremist faction of Team Plasma has come and plans to hack into the graphical PC system created by Lanette to set Pokemon free in regions they're not from in order to prevent them from reuniting with their trainers, forcing separation between humans and Pokemon.

TLDR of TLDR: Extremist Team Plasma wanting to force all humans and Pokemon apart legit (and not just to create a power vaccuum) go to Hoenn and try to hack Lanette's stuff to mess up PCs EVERYWHERE.

A Hoenn remake would be great! There's just so much geographic potential for something like that... They could do a bunch of things with all the underwater territory, sunken ships, and so forth.

Hoenn seriously needs a sequel to redeem itself. It's hideously underrated and a sequel to the story (which I thought was a bit silly, but still fun) could save its hide.

Hoenn needs a sequel badly. If you've noticed, every Pokemon game has had some type of remake or sequel (except for Pokemon Blue but then again technically it did) and it's time for Hoenn's turn.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom