• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which series was the worst one?

Which anime series was the worst one?

• OS

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • AG

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • DP

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • BW

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • XY

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
OS Johto. Because 70-80% filler rate speaks for itself. Kanto was decent and is on par with Unova, but Johto was still OS:

BW had flaws but was never as bad as Johto.

The highlights of Johto easily beat anything from BW.

Charizard's departure, Ecruteak lore/gym, Chikorita's evolution (and post-evolution), Bayleef vs. Poliwrath/Machoke, Whirl Cup, Lugia arc, Lake of Rage two-parter, Larvitar arc and the last two gyms (including the related episodes) and Johto League were all very solid. And there were several good fillers like the Stantler, Houndour, Kimono Girls and Ninetales ones.

Last edited:
The highlights of Johto easily beat anything from BW.

Charizard's departure, Chikorita's evolution and Bayleef vs. Poliwrath, Whirl Cup, Lugia arc, Lake of Rage two-parter, Larvitar arc and the last two gyms (also Ecruteak) and Johto League were all very solid. And there were several good fillers like the Stantler, Houndour, Kimono Girls and Ninetales ones.

I appreciate Johto's highs, but sadly these episodes are takes the minority of the series, while everything else is skipable content.

I never had that much of a problem with the Johto filler episodes. There were times when watching the arc for the first time where I wondered when the heck Ash was going to get another Gym badge, but then I'd enjoy another episode soon after thinking that. I can understand why Johto arc has an infamous reputation among fans, at least from my experience, but it was still pretty enjoyable in spite of its flaws.

Johto never enraged me like BW did either. To be fair, I was younger watching Johto than I was watching BW obviously, but I don't think I would have enjoyed BW significantly more if it was my first series or something. Some of the issues might not have bothered me, or at least not as much, but somethings like Iris would have definitely bothered me. BW coming right after DP didn't really do it any favors, but the series isn't particularly good on its own either in my opinion.

Since Johto is so old, I don't care about the good:boring ratio being unfavorable. I just rewatch the episodes that interest me.

And I have no desire to do that for anything after the original series. The Jirachi and Lucario movies are cool, though.

This was also a highlight of OS Jouto for me.

U9Qur0o.gif

Seeing Satoshi overpower rookies from a new region with his veteran Pokemon and experience was quite a refreshing sight and felt progressive. I definitely look back and appreciate this.

Charizard's departure, Chikorita's evolution and Bayleef vs. Poliwrath, Whirl Cup, Lugia arc, Lake of Rage two-parter, Larvitar arc and the last two gyms (also Ecruteak) and Johto League were all very solid.

Don't forget the Mewtwo specials. I love that they took the effort to tie up that loose end with Mewtwo's character arc and the Rockets.

This was also a highlight of OS Jouto for me.

U9Qur0o.gif

Seeing Satoshi overpower rookies from a new region with his veteran Pokemon and experience was quite a refreshing sight and felt progressive. I definitely look back and appreciate this.

Don't forget the Mewtwo specials. I love that they took the effort to tie up that loose end with Mewtwo's character arc and the Rockets.

And the Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon did better at celebrating the 10th anniversary than M20 is doing for the 20th.

Yeah, but I didn't want to use the special card since it's movie-like. I personally place Mewtwo Returns over the first movie, with the Entei movie being on top.

Another great "filler" is Chikorita's Big Upset. Chikorita/Bayleef is easily Ash's best Pokemon personality-wise.

The Blissey episode is quite adorable and great for Jessie. I also have a soft spot for the Oddish episode (the one that pretends to be Hoppip) and the Vileplume vs. Bellossom one. And the Marill/Misty one... The list goes on, really.

It's a saga with a lot of heart and soul. But I guess that isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
And the Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon did better at celebrating the 10th anniversary than M20 is doing for the 20th.

I don't know about that mainly because I thought that Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon was a terrible special. It didn't really feel like a tenth anniversary celebration, especially when Brock and Max were largely left out and the plot was like something out of a bad fan fiction. It was primarily an excuse to have another Mew vs. Mewtwo fight with Misty thrown in there for kicks. In terms of anniversary celebrations, it was pretty weak for me.

Well, the movie leaves out all the past companions and the way it seems to implement Ho-Oh is hardly riveting stuff.

Of course, Mastermind was made for the non-Japanese audience, and the opposite holds true for the movie. And Mastermind was so controversial due to the VA debacle.

Let's just say that special had the right idea in terms of anniversary cast, but could do for a better execution. The plot was definitely hamfisted, and it was clearly just a quick way to preview the new English dub voices at the time.

Why did they even think that would fly? New VAs and nostalgia don't go hand in hand.

They should have given the old ones their swan song, really...

I don't know about that mainly because I thought that Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon was a terrible special. It didn't really feel like a tenth anniversary celebration, especially when Brock and Max were largely left out and the plot was like something out of a bad fan fiction. It was primarily an excuse to have another Mew vs. Mewtwo fight with Misty thrown in there for kicks. In terms of anniversary celebrations, it was pretty weak for me.

Still better than what M20 is doing with older characters.

Let's just say that special had the right idea in terms of anniversary cast, but could do for a better execution. The plot was definitely hamfisted, and it was clearly just a quick way to preview the new English dub voices at the time.

Yeah, I can agree with that. If there was a better plot to bring the characters together and they actually involved all of them instead of mainly focusing on Ash, Misty and May, it probably could have worked, or at least have been better than what we got.

As for the voice actor change, that certainly didn't help the special, but I don't think I would have liked it much more if they had used the original 4Kids cast. There would have been one less huge glaring issue with the special, but it still would have come off as a pretty weak anniversary special. Besides that, the Lucario movie is a better final curtain call for the original cast than this special would have been.

Still better than what M20 is doing with older characters.

I'd rather not judge a movie that isn't even out yet. Plus, I don't know if not including older characters in an anniversary special is better than putting them in a bad anniversary special.

I remember complaints about May telling Misty "sometimes I can do the right thing" when she saved her. I didn't mind except for the terrible line delivery.

Well, this is going about as I expected...
(Really should've checked in sooner)

Like a lot of people, went with BW. I don't think I need to say why since everyone else has already summed it up mulitple times.

I never understand fandom's hate for Mastermind of Mirage special. What was so terrible about the plot?

I never understand fandom's hate for Mastermind of Mirage special. What was so terrible about the plot?

I never really liked the idea of Mirage Pokemon. It seemed kind of out of place with the show and it was basically just a way to get another Mew vs. Mewtwo without using the original Mewtwo. The villain was pretty weak and I thought using Pikachu's memories to learn about the different Pokemon it had encountered was forced into the story just to make it feel more like an anniversary special. The fact that the villain seemed to know that the others had seen a different Mewtwo before also seemed odd.

I never really liked the idea of Mirage Pokemon. It seemed kind of out of place with the show and it was basically just a way to get another Mew vs. Mewtwo without using the original Mewtwo. The villain was pretty weak and I thought using Pikachu's memories to learn about the different Pokemon it had encountered was forced into the story just to make it feel more like an anniversary special. The fact that the villain seemed to know that the others had seen a different Mewtwo before also seemed odd.

How comes no one called out the scientists for trying to create mirage Pokémon from the beginning? The guy was basically saying he wanted to create Pokémon without weaknesses and everyone was cheering. And Prof Oak revealed that guy was kicked out of school at the end.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom