• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which series was the worst one?

Which anime series was the worst one?

• OS

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • AG

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • DP

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • BW

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • XY

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
Also you shouldn't let your interactions with fans affect how you objectively judge a series' quality.

I don't entirely agree with this, so long as someone isn't basing their opinion on a series solely based off of interactions with others.

I've almost always thought XY was an awful series. Other people's opinions, positive or not, and my interactions with said people doesn't change the fact that I think it's bad quality. That's just another very, very small point as to why XY bothers me. But it's the most miniscule one.

Yeah, I think it's understandable how fan interactions can affect how someone views a series. I don't think it would be fair to base the series quality entirely on those interactions, but those experiences can be bad enough to make a series worse. That tends to happen more often if you already dislike the show, at least based on my experiences. If you already dislike a series and you have people getting on your case for your opinions, chances are pretty good that's just going to make you dislike the show even more. Something like bad fan interactions can factor as to why I don't like some series, but it's usually just a side note compared to problems I have with a series itself. On the other side of the coin, I have had terrible fan interactions over shows that I love and that hasn't changed my opinion on those series either. People have gotten on my case for liking or disliking various series.

While I do generally like XY, I think that calling it DP without the substance is pretty fitting. I don't think I'd agree with XY lacking substance completely, but that comparison might explain one reason why I never got quite into the XY hype compared to DP.

Best Wishes. Sun and Moon may follow suit. I know its not over yet, but I miss humor that wasn't forced, gyms, contests, and even showcases (rather I really enjoyed Serena's development as a character).
4. BW/SM (IDK it's like a tie)

I Agree; I loathe b-o-t-h Best Wishes & Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon, But I Hate Sun and Moon more because of these Reasons:
A. The Artstyle SUCKS, The Anime is NOT supposed to look like a Cartoon
B. Ash is a Magnet for Pokemon Attacks in this Season
C. Mimikyu, My absol-ute favorite Gen 7 Pokemon, was turned from a Sympathizable Pika-clone who just wanted to be Loved as Much as Pikachu is and just wanted friends, INTO A Genocidal MONSTER who wants to Kill ALL Pikachu, which is completely going against why People Loved Mimikyu in the first Place, Plus, they're making it out to be PURE-Ghost type, Meaning Pure Evil, and NOT like the Lovable Ghost-FAIRY Type it really is,
D. It's a Slice of Life genre, that is STALLING and is Sluggish, and what ELSE should've we expected when the VERY COROCORO Page that Introduced it, had Ash's Goal just to Graduate!!
E. Ash Lost to bloody Team Rocket, Something that he never even did in the Original Series, when he was just starting, which basically means, He's even WORSE Now than he was when he first started!!

I don't entirely agree with this, so long as someone isn't basing their opinion on a series solely based off of interactions with others.

I've almost always thought XY was an awful series. Other people's opinions, positive or not, and my interactions with said people doesn't change the fact that I think it's bad quality. That's just another very, very small point as to why XY bothers me. But it's the most miniscule one.

If the opinions of others bother you so much, you shouldn't bother interacting with the fanbase at all. Like it or hate it, there's a reason many people prefer XY over what we're getting for SM, and I think those opinions shouldn't be ignored even if you don't agree with them. Likewise there's a reason a section of the fanbase is enjoying SM as well which also shouldn't be ignored. If anything, I think the writers should take both these audiences into account when working with the next installment.

I would also completely disagree with XY lacking substance. Sure things could have been handled better but what many people, myself included, enjoyed about XY was the sense of adventure and the group of characters that worked well with each other and felt like family, which is something SM lacks quite a bit.

I don't think anyone was saying that opinions that you disagree with should be ignored or anything like that. It's when people start insulting you for your opinions, belittling you or acting like you're wrong for enjoying a series is when it can become frustrating. Granted, this hasn't happened with me over Pokemon, but it has with other shows and it can be really awful. Disagreements can be fine and can result in some interesting conversations. But insults are another matter entirely. That can taint how someone sees the fanbase or the show itself. In my experience, it's not a matter of ignoring opinions you disagree with. It's a matter of distancing yourself from awful people who can't be respectful when having a disagreement or act like their opinions over a subjective topic is a fact.

I don't think anyone was saying that opinions that you disagree with should be ignored or anything like that. It's when people start insulting you for your opinions, belittling you or acting like you're wrong for enjoying a series is when it can become frustrating. Granted, this hasn't happened with me over Pokemon, but it has with other shows and it can be really awful. Disagreements can be fine and can result in some interesting conversations. But insults are another matter entirely. That can taint how someone sees the fanbase or the show itself. In my experience, it's not a matter of ignoring opinions you disagree with. It's a matter of distancing yourself from awful people who can't be respectful when having a disagreement or act like their opinions over a subjective topic is a fact.

100% this. The opinions of others certainly don't bother me. I've already said I enjoy seeing different opinions, because life would be really boring if everyone liked and disliked the same exact things. It's only when people are being rude about differing opinions that it gets on my nerves. Honestly, that's really not an issue here, it's moreso in other online communities (hence why this is really the only one I post on, because I generally find the discussions here to be fruitful and the posters to generally be respectful.) But yes, in other places, it becomes borderline ridiculous and unbearable.

While I do generally like XY, I think that calling it DP without the substance is pretty fitting. I don't think I'd agree with XY lacking substance completely, but that comparison might explain one reason why I never got quite into the XY hype compared to DP.

I've never really thought of this. It's a great description for it, honestly. DP right now is probably my third favorite series after OS and AG. Certainly not my preferred saga, but I agree that I feel like DP handled a slightly more mature tone and competent Ash far better than XY. DP, though I felt it had some flaws, never felt overwrought or like it was trying too hard. I can still go back and watch some DP episodes with great enjoyment.

Hmm, my general experience dealing with other fanbases has been pretty negative so I tend to try to avoid them more often. Hopefully those sort of things you described happens less around here.

If Johto counted as it's own series i'd vote for that, but because it doesn't I'd vote for BW.

• Alder was this weird brock clone who's main Pokemon was Bouflant and not Volcarona.
  • Cilan, the best character in the season by far, barely did anything for most of the series. He was a surprisingly good battler with an OP crustle, but not much else.
  • Ash caught 9 pokemon, and half were overshadowed. Pikachu and the starters were the only consistent ones. Scraggy had a friendship with axew and a focus blast arc, and Krookodile appeared before being captured, but as for the rest? Unefezent being female was her biggest contribution to the series. She evolved twice, but her only wins were during the skyla battle. Can anyone remember anything boldore or palpitoad did?
  • Iris' dragon master goal didn't go anywhere. Axew never evolved, and she never caught any Unova dragon pokemon. Her main battling pokemon wasn't even a dragon.
  • On a related note, Cilan stayed the same as a connosuier. He was better then Burgundy, but not much else.
  • The rivals were bad. Stephan and Cameron were the only good ones. Bianca was a Barry clone, and a worse battler, Trip barely considered Ash a rival, and Virgil came out of nowhere.
  • Charizard came back for no reason.
  • Overall, this was probably the worst season.

I probably won't be liked for saying this, but I really don't think DP is much better than BW... Not that I like BW, but I don't think I need to explain the flaws about BW that everyone else already pointed out. I'm also not a major fan of XY, and others also already pointed out the flaws about that saga. However, for DP, it only gets praise here and most people don't understand how someone could not like it. So let's explain the issues someone could have with DP. Theare are mostly issues with the writing style and are up to personal preference. If you have a different opinion, that's perfectly fine. But I'm just trying to explain why someone might vote for DP in that poll, like I did.

- Ash felt boring and bland, the personality he had in OS was gone.

- Piplup hogging the screen with its annoying voice...

- It feels humourless, unlike mostly Kanto with its slapstick humour.

- Brock got shafted completely and deserved better. Dawn was treated like a co-star, Ash was the main character, so Brock became the third wheel. Being in the shadows of just Ash is already hard enough, but being in the shadows of two characters makes it really impossible to have a proper role.

- Dawn's rivalry with Zoey wasn't very good. They clearly weren't equals, Zoey was more like a mentor and Dawn never even defeated her once. There's nothing wrong with mentorship, but when a much stronger and more experienced coordinator is your rival, it's not a fun rivalry. I mean, compare it to Ash and Gary. Gary was often presented as more mature and skilled, but Ash beat him in the Johto League and reached further during the Kanto League, so there was tension in that rivalry. With Dawn and Zoey, you just knew Dawn could never win.

- People often praise DP's battles, even OS fans get mad at me when I say DP's battles weren't that good. But they were almost all the same. They all followed this pattern: Ash and opponent fight until both have only one Pokemon left, Ash has trouble with a game mechanic, Brock explains the game mechanic to Dawn, Ash finds a way to get around it and wins. Of course not every single battle was like that, but the majority of them were. At least OS battles had some tension and originality, they were all different and weren't overly game-like. 'Aim for the horn' in Ash's Pikachu vs. Blaine's Rhydon might've been weird, but at least it was original. In DP's strict, game-like battle formula, there was not much room for originality.

- Talking about originality, the OS had more originality and creativity. DP strictly follows the games and didn't have many creative things that weren't in the games, like the Whirl Cup in Johto. Some people like it when the anime follows the games, others like it when the writers take some creative liberty. That's up to personal preference. But I prefer the more creative approach that doesn't follow the games too much. Think about the Orange Islands. Not in the games at all, and very creative, even the fillers.

- People often complain about Johto's fillers, but at least they were memorable to me. I seriously enjoy rewatching those. DP had just as much fillers as Johto, but for some reason, the fandom doesn't like to talk about that. The DP fillers bored me to death or even annoyed me when Piplup took the spotlight, but the Johto fillers were actually entertaining and sometimes even memorable. And an episode being filler doesn't make it bad by default. I'd much rather watch a fun Johto filler than a boring DP Gym Battle or League episode.

Last edited:
People often complain about Johto's fillers, but at least they were memorable to me. I seriously enjoy rewatching those. DP had just as much fillers as Johto, but for some reason, the fandom doesn't like to talk about that.

I think its just the placement of fillers. Younger me thought that Ash might never reach the 8th Gym in Johto (lol).

- Ash felt boring and bland, the personality he had in OS was gone.

- Piplup hogging the screen with its annoying voice...

- Brock got shafted completely and deserved better. Dawn was treated like a co-star, Ash was the main character, so Brock became the third wheel. Being in the shadows of just Ash is already hard enough, but being in the shadows of two characters makes it really impossible to have a proper role.

Those are actually pretty common issues people have with DP. I definitely remember those points coming up while the series was airing. I'm not sure if I'd call Ash bland and boring, but much like with XY, I can see why other people would feel that way about him. Piplup taking up screentime definitely bothered me, especially when they spent the first year or so without it being pushed so much as the secondary mascot. As for Brock, he did deserve better focus, but I don't think I was bothered by his treatment, or at least I didn't think he was just the third wheel. I think part of that was because in spite of not getting as much attention as Ash and Dawn, they still felt like a good group of friends traveling together.

Champion Bayleef said:
- Dawn's rivalry with Zoey wasn't very good. They clearly weren't equals, Zoey was more like a mentor and Dawn never even defeated her once. There's nothing wrong with mentorship, but when a much stronger and more experienced coordinator is your rival, it's not a fun rivalry. I mean, compare it to Ash and Gary. Gary was often presented as more mature, but Ash beat him in the Johto League and reached further during the Kanto League, so there was tension in that rivalry. With Dawn and Zoey, you just knew Dawn could never win.

I wouldn't say that Gary was presented as being more mature exactly, especially during Kanto. He was often a stuck up cocky kid who kept acting like he was better than Ash without proving it during that saga. He was better in his few Johto appearances, although he went back to being a bit cocky/condescending towards Ash shortly before their battle, but I'm not sure if I'd say he was mature during that part of the series either. I had more problems with Dawn's rivalry with Zoey when I first watched the series, but after rewatching it, I'm okay with it. It's still not the most interesting rivalry out there, especially compared to what Ash and Paul had throughout DP, but they were going for more of a mentor/student relationship between them more than a traditional rivalry. That's one reason why I didn't have a problem with Dawn losing to Zoey. She obviously would have wanted to win the Grand Festival, but the goal was just to meet each other in the finals again, which they did. Plus, I'm not sure if people thought she'd never defeat Zoey. I remember people debating over who would win in the final round before the episode aired, so it might not have been that obvious.

Champion Bayleef said:
- People often praise DP's battles, even OS fans get mad at me when I say DP's battles weren't that good. But they were almost all the same. They all followed this pattern: Ash and opponent fight until both have only one Pokemon left, Ash has trouble with a game mechanic, Brock explains the game mechanic to Dawn, Ash finds a way to get around it and wins. Of course not every single battle was like that, but the majority of them were. At least OS battles had some tension and originality, they were all different and weren't overly game-like. 'Aim for the horn' in Ash's Pikachu vs. Blaine's Rhydon might've been weird, but at least it was original. In DP's strict, game-like battle formula, there was not much room for originality.

I can understand wanting more originality in the battles, but I honestly don't think most of the battles in at least the Kanto saga have aged well. The battles in Johto were generally better though. Plus, they probably have to stick closer to the game mechanics nowadays compared to when the show first started and they were still trying to figure out things that worked. Granted, I liked a lot of battles in DP and I thought that there was still some good tension/creative strategies in some of those matches at least, but that's just me.

Champion Bayleef said:
- Talking about originality, the OS had more originality and creativity. DP strictly follows the games and didn't have many creative things that weren't in the games, like the Whirl Cup in Johto. Some people like it when the anime follows the games, others like it when the writers take some creative liberty. That's up to personal preference. But I prefer the more creative approach that doesn't follow the games too much. Think about the Orange Islands. Not in the games at all, and very creative, even the fillers.

I guess I'd prefer something like a combination of the two. They can still follow the games while taking some creative liberties with them. It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other here. We still got events in DP that weren't exactly like they were in the games or in the games at all like the Twinleaf Town Festival and the Johto Festival.

Champion Bayleef said:
- People often complain about Johto's fillers, but at least they were memorable to me. I seriously enjoy rewatching those. DP had just as much fillers as Johto, but for some reason, the fandom doesn't like to talk about that.

That's because DP doesn't have as much filler as Johto. I'm pretty sure that's not the case at least. Despite the length of the series, DP doesn't have a lot of filler episodes. There definitely are filler episodes, but I think by the time the series ended, it had the least amount of filler episodes compared to other series. I remember people comparing the different series/arcs and it turned out that DP didn't really have a lot of filler episodes.

I do agree that the Johto filler episodes aren't anywhere near as bad as fans make them out to be. There are some pretty bad/weak ones, but that's the case for every series. There were times where I wondered when the heck Ash would get another badge when I first watched the arc, but I'd usually be entertained by an episode shortly after thinking that. Most of the Johto filler episodes are usually decent to good. There are some good DP filler episodes, but there are some weak ones too.

@Champion Bayleef
Actually, i think OS, AG and DP was quite similar- i've always treated these series as ,,completeness".
Dawn had the role May had had in AG and Misty should have had in OS.
On the other hand I have to agree about Johto fillers- they made this series unique and simply better to watch- not only battles and battles.

1. Part of OS (Johto). Misty left the crew and just too many fillers.
2. BW. Too rushed and too many fillers and lack of good rivals for the crew.
3. DP. Too much exposure of Dawn, the penguin, and Ash causing poor old Brock to be on his own island. What a way for him to go

BW - 5 years ago when I got back into Pokemon, with watching the DP series, and was excited to see what happened next, to find out Ash got reset, and Brock left. I wasn't very happy with this season. years later, I'm still not. Most of the characters just plain annoyed me, the only one I ever really enjoyed was Cilan. I barely managed to make through 10 or so random episodes scattered across the series.

Second would be AG for me, but that's simply because I haven't seen enough of it. I've tried to get into it, a few times, but I just haven't made it through much. I'm not a very big May fan, and Max was extremely annoying to me when I watched the AG movies as a kid. There are some episodes I do enjoy in it though, so maybe one day I'll watch more of it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom