• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter are you going to pick?

Which starter are you going to pick?

• Rowlet

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 26 23.9%

• Total voters

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
722Rowlet_LA.png
155Cyndaquil_LA.png
501Oshawott_LA.png

You know the drill. Select your favorite boi and fight in the comments over who's the best starter.​

I feel personally attacked by the starter choices since they're all my first choices in their respective games.

Maybe Cyndaquil, I guess? But at the same time I don't want to throw the other two under the bus if like nobody else is on the expedition.
Could just bring the other two from Pokemon Home if you have it. Assuming of course, you would be able to do that.

Assuming that there's no Mega/Gigatimax/Whatever shenanigans with their final Evos that might make me reconsider, then I plan on going with Cyndaquill.

I really do hope there's some method of getting the other two without resorting to trading, otherwise completing the world's first ever Pokédex might be difficult lol. :unsure:

Could just bring the other two from Pokemon Home if you have it. Assuming of course, you would be able to do that.

What I'm worried about is that it's going to be like LGPE. Like for example if the Rowlet is from SWSH and has an ability, it won't be able to be transported into the game. Especially since all the sites don't list abilities in their stats.
Went to the site (which to be fair i should have gone to before anything), and these are the starters. Weird choices.

They aren't weird when you realize that they're a samurai, archer, and have a name that's a lost in localization shogunate pun.

They aren't weird when you realize that they're a samurai, archer, and have a name that's a lost in localization shogunate pun.
Of course i made that statement out of pretty much ignorance. Not the first time in this franchise where i think something is random, only to find out later it's a japanese thing that i'm not aware of.

I'm a reprehensible Gentoower, so it's Cyndaquil.

Of course i made that statement out of pretty much ignorance. Not the first time in this franchise where i think something is random, only to find out later it's a japanese thing that i'm not aware of.

Tell me about it. See also: half the species that got reclassified as Fairies.

Rowlet, even though all three are meh at best. But since I plan to catch a Chimchar (now that I'm fully aware that wild starters are a thing and can be caught), I figured that Rowlet will be the best choice. Besides, it can gain access to False Swipe (assuming the move is teachable in these games), thus will make it a good choice to help catch the various Mons in the game if that's the case.

Cyndaquil for me. I've never used him because there's no way I wouldn't pick Chikorita, so he's the only one of the three I've never used. I like Rowlet design wise, but I've had trouble actually using Decidueye so..nah. Oshawott is okay, but used him a good couple times before already.

Also, Cyndaquil and Quilava are adorable, so there's that too. Can't wait to see Quilava in Legends graphics.

Either Cynda or Osha. It'll probably come down to how I'm feeling in the moment, but right now I think I'm leaning slightly toward Cyndaquil, so I'll give it my vote for the time being.

I like Rowlet, but I've already used it so many times in the Alola games.

Also, it is ridiculous how well these three work colour-wise as a trio despite being designed years apart from each other.

I really like all three starters. Rowlet and Oshawott are my favorites out of their respective trios while Cyndaquil and Totodile tend to tie. I'm gonna go with Oshawott because I quite like the samurai sea otter, however, after SwSh I've sort of sworn off starters so I'll most likely box it after catching a Pokémon I really want to use.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom