• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter are you going to pick?

Which starter are you going to pick?

• Rowlet

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 26 23.9%

• Total voters
And I thought I was the indecisive one.

If you still haven't made your choice by the time you start up the game, I recommend flipping a coin. Even if you decide you aren't sure about the idea of sticking with the one corresponding to the result, that's a choice in itself.

After seeing the leaks I'm leaning towards Rowlet now.

Of the three starters it's the only one without type overlap with other Pokemon I want to use.

I put my reasoning in spoilers, although I don't think I really spoiled anything.

(Warning, contains spoilers! Game is out now, but beware for those of you who don't want to know anything that was not unveiled pre-game until they play the game themselves).

I went back and forth between Cyndaquil and Oshawott for some time now, but I am now confident in picking Oshawott! I've picked all three starters in playthroughs of previous games, but Oshawott was the longest time ago (all the way back in Black! I picked Cyndaquil in the Virtual Console version of Gold). Plus it will allow me to use Hisuian Arcanine. I am not terribly fond of the fact that Hisuian Samurott looks mostly like a color swap, but I still think it's cool and its signature move looked absolutely awesome.

I’ve had a hard time picking to the point I decided to have three different playthroughs for each starter (really glad the Switch allows for that). However while I was originally thinking of picking Cyndaquil first, I’ve decided to choose Oshawott for the first playthrough (nothing against Cyndaquil or Hisuian Typhlosion, I just like Hisuian Samurott more) I still plan to use Cyndaquil in a second playthrough though

I ended up going with Rowlet! Luckily my partner went with Cyndaquil so my choice became VERY easy. Haha

Like I said last year...I feel personally attacked by the starter choices due to picking all of them on my first playthroughs of their respective regions.

But I settled on Cyndaquil. It's been a while since I used one. Also now that i know you get the other two later, I don't feel so bad.

After seeing the starter evos...Cyndaquil most likely. Hisuian Typhlosion looks really cool. I don't know why this is considered a spoiler but better safe than sorry.

i went wity Cyndaquil. was tough to choose between it and Rowlet, as they're both so cute. ended up going for the fire starter because it's just a bit cuter. also, Cyndaquil's final evolution is the only one that actually looks decent (though the original typhlosion is better)

I also went with Cyndaquil, though it was a tough choice between it and Oshawott as I already liked both lines so much, but Hisuian Typhlosion looked cuter by just a slight bit.

Damn, I am still waiting for my game to get here, but I just got the hilarity of checking the postal tracker to find that it passed through Rowlett, Texas earlier today. Now I am torn between starting with Cyndaquil like I wanted or honoring the irony with Rowlet. XD

Edit: I've got it, I will pick cyndaquil and then make sure to hunt for an alpha rowlet because it's Texas, a regular sized rowlet just wouldn't be right.

Last edited:
I caved in and chose Cyndaquil instead of Oshawott like I originally planned and I am regretting it so much!
I caught an Alpha Chimchar soon after and sorry, Chimchar is just so much better, so I boxed Cyndaquil.
Now I am super salty I didn't choose Oshawott.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom