• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter are you going to pick?

Which starter are you going to pick?

• Rowlet

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 26 23.9%

• Total voters
Cyndaquil because I'm a sucker for Johto

(considering HG was my first legit Pokémon game as opposed to a rom on a flash card when I just wasn't interested in the series yet)

Although I like all three, I'll go with Oshawott, as it has the best movepool of the three, and Water is my favourite type.

I've used Oshawott and Cyndaquil in other playthroughs more times than I've used Rowlet, so I'm kind of thinking the chunky owl-loaf is going to be my partner for this game. But I love all three starters and could see myself doing multiple plays with each one. I think they made a really good choice with that trio!

Last edited:
I have always picked the Water starter and I couldn't be happier to pick Oshawott, since Samurott is my favorite Water Pokemon starter.

I’m the type of person that doesn’t like to use the same pokémon twice in a play through and since I’ve used all three starters for LA, I have no idea what I’m going to do…

I’ve thought about just leaving it behind in the PC (or equivalent) and catching a different mon to be my starter lol But I’m warming up to the idea of using Cyndaquil since it’s one of my top starters and I haven’t used the little guy since soulsilver.

While writing this I actually decided I might choose a starter to keep in its first/middle stage to differentiate it from other play throughs. We’ll see :)

I was going to pick Oshawott but now Basculegion is making me doubt that choice.

and really, it might be a good idea to save Oshawott for gen 5 remakes.

My second choice right now would be Cyndaquil. I think the last time I used it was probably on a replay of Pokemon Gold.

For some reason I feel Cyndaquil fits the aesthetics of this game the best. It is from Johto which is in Japan and there is a lot of focus on tradition in the Gen 2 games (although it's more noticeable in HGSS).

Rowlet is cute but tropical owl from Hawaii in ancient Japan???

Oshawott is AMERICAN. It almost reminds me of an ice cream mascot idk why lol. Still cute (in a weird awkward way) but not in ancient Japan.

And why isn't Froakie an option!? Ninjas in ancient Japan, what could be more fitting!

The fact that Ancient Regional forms do indeed exist means that the Starters getting unique forms might be back on the table which may require rethinking my choice... :unsure:
I'm not exactly sure on that, because they're calling them Hisuian forms. While technically, given that they don't appear in the present, they are ancient forms, the three starters aren't from the region, so their new forms wouldn't really be Hisuian forms.

In case they have new forms, you're right that it may change things, but I hope they won't reveal them before release (or if they'll do, have the middle stage being one also, and keeping the final stage secret). I'll go with Cyndaquil anyway, though.

Definitely super hard of a question, I love all 3 of those pokemon so much. I think I'm gonna go cyndaquil since it's been a while since i've used one in my party. I'm really excited for the game it looks so good.

It's a rough tie between Cyndaquil and Rowlet. Thinkin' about Rowlet, but maybe I'll check out the game's PokeDex and try to figure out the rest of my team before deciding on a starter.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom