• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Starter Group is the Hardest for you to Choose From?

What Starter group is the hardest for you to choose from?

• Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle

• Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile

• Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip

• Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup

• Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott

• Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie

• Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio

• I always know what I want

• Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Starters. The most important choice to make in the entire generation. Most of the time, people know what starter they want. Sometimes, however, you will come across a group of Starters that you love equally so much so that you have a hard time choosing between them. What Starter group is that for you?

For me personally, it's the Johto Starters. I love all three of them, I find their evolutions equally cool, I've even used all three of them in different playthroughs of SoulSilver.
Honorable mention goes to the Sinnoh Starters but I like Piplup's evolutions slightly better than the others.

Edit: Have edited the poll to include Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble.

Last edited:
I usually am pretty set on picking the Grass starter at every game, but I won't lie when I say that the Sinnoh starters (at least to me) gave me some hesitation and pause. I really do love all three of them and initially I didn't even really go for Treecko, I went for Torchic! I don't think I'd have any issue starting with Swampert either, so those three starters definitely give me some thought as far as who to pick every time.

Either the Kanto set or the Kalos set. I voted for the Kalos set because I do have a preference for Bulbasaur and Charmander over Squirtle, even though I am still fond of the latter. Whereas the Kalos Starters are all pretty equally matched in my eyes.

I picked the starters from Alola. I love Primarina and Decidueye and it's really hard for me to choose from Rowlet or Popplio.

I always pick the Water starter and have since the very beginning of playing Pokemon. It would only become interesting if I got to pick a second starter. But I'm pretty picky and usually only like one of the others, anyway.

For me its the sixth gen, I love all three, so its hard to pick one, same with their evolutions, when I do pick one its hard to decide whether to evolve or not

going opposite - third gen, I hate all three and their evolutions

I still have not been able to decide what is my favorite Starter Evolution line from the Alola starters. Like there are two forms on all three of them I really love, and one of them I am not the biggest on. Like even for their different forms, I like all 3 of them. I like Rowlet the most for the first stage (but these ones are definitely the closest, cuz I really like Popplio and Litten too), and Popplio the least (as I said, I still really love him). For the second stage, I like Torracat the most, while Dartrix I don't like a whole bunch (it's a good design, I just prefer Torracat and Brionne more), and for the third stage, I like Primarina the most, and Incineroar the least. There are things I love about all the different lines, and honestly even with the flaws, they are still really strong starter lines for me. I will be surprised if they are able to pull out another set of starters that I can't choose from.

Sinnoh and Kanto, hands down.

When it comes to the others I'm usually pretty decisive, which is a miracle in itself, like Chespin and Tepig and Poplio and Mudkip. They're iconic! The others lack appeal for me, but when it comes to Sinnoh and Kanto... I mean, what the hell is a person to do. They're awesome in every form.

Kanto: easy, Bulbasaur.

Johto: I refuse to play without Bayleef/Meganium on my team and even once had a team involving Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium. Yes, all three.

Hoenn: difficult, I like them all but don't truly love any of these.

Sinnoh: I don't care, it ends up in the box, I don't like any.

Unova: Snivy, I don't like the rest.

Kalos: Froakie, hands down.

Alola: difficult, either Rowlet or Popplio...

The generation VII trio was, I believe, the first time I stopped to think about which starter to choose. I didn't know then what their final stages were like and didn't really have a favorite.

For every previous entry of my first game, I chose the Water-type the first time around, with the exception of BW (White) where I chose Snivy. But I really only have a definitive favorite starter Poke for about half the generations.

None of them, actually. There's been a few times (Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos) where I've changed my mind and preferred one of the other two starters, but never a situation when I like the three equally and couldn't decide at all. My usual picks nowadays are Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, Chespin, and Popplio.

Sinnoh, it is the only region with no fully evolved starter Pokemon I don't care for. Unova is the opposite, as I always choose Oshawott since Emboar is too slow and you can't get Snivy with Contrary as a starter.

Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova. Swampert or Sceptile. Empoleon or Torterra. Serperior or Samurott. Tough choices for me.

Kanto: All 3 are very similar, and the final forms are equally badass, cool and useful. But Squirtle is just so cool, so I choose it.
Johto: All 3 base forms are cute as hell, and all final forms are...meh and boring. Definetely the hardest.
Hoenn: Marshtomp :love:
Sinnoh: Torterra :love:
Unova: Samurott is ugly, but Snivy and Tepig's families come close. Tepig's wins on average, but If someday I play through Unova again I'd choose Snivy.
Kalos: Greninja.:love:
Alola: Rowlet :love:

For me it was the newest gen. each one was equally unique. of course, having a ghost evo for a starter got the best of me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom