• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Starter Group is the Hardest for you to Choose From?

What Starter group is the hardest for you to choose from?

• Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle

• Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile

• Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip

• Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup

• Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott

• Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie

• Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio

• I always know what I want

• Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble

Results are only viewable after voting.
I always love most of the starters. However there are two regions that gave me trouble:

Unova, because I don’t like any of the final evolutions design, and they’re not exactly the best in battle. However, that was only the first few playthroughs. I decided to always go for Snivy and never regretted it.

I give this one to Sinnoh for sure. To this day I have trouble choosing. It’s funny because Gen 4 produced the coolest Pokémons ever, but the starters... they were pretty cool I guess, just wish their starting and middle form were better design wise. Infernape is the stronger one overall, Torterra is the best design-wise and not bad in battle but Empoleon had the better dual typing, having only three weaknesses.

Last edited:
I'm not really very fond of any of the Unova starters to be honest. Though I usually go with Tepig since I've been on team fire since Charmander and Emboar is easier to look at than the others for me.

I'd say Hoenn's difficult too but for different reasons: I love Torchic and Treecko's lines to death.

The Jotho's group for me. Totodile is my favourite Water type starter while Cyndaquil, on the other hand, is my favourite Fire type starter... Enough said, I guess.

Sinnoh because I don't really like any of them. I like Turtwig in its first form, but when it evolves, it loses all appeal for me. Infernape is an ape and I dislike those. And Empoleon is just... eh.

The rest usually have very clear choices for me in that with most starters, there are two I like, and one I don't like all that much. And out of the two I like, there's one I REALLY like, and one I kind of like. (Example: Unova. I REALLY like Serperior and kind of like Samurott.) So it's really no contest.

For me, I go for the one that grabs my attention, much like how Greninja did when gen 6 first came out. It just looked much cooler than the other two. Samurott did that back in gen 5. One thing I noticed, I tend to go for the water type or the fire type.

Immediately I wanna say Kalos. It’s the only region where I’ve loved all three Starters from the outset. Eventually I settled on Chespin as my fave, but I still love Fennekin and Froakie almost as much. It’s still so difficult.

Johto has recently joined the ranks as well. While at first I only liked Totodile, Chikorita grew on me to an unprecedented degree over the years. And now Cyndaquil is doing the same. I love all three.

Johto and Kalos are the only two regions where I love all three equally. The other regions usually have one Starter I don’t care for (typically the Fire Starter, with the exception of Hoenn. I don’t like Mudkip.)

Flipside, I dislike the Unova Starters quite a lot. They’re my least favorite set and I can’t decide which of them I hate the most.

Hm, I think this one for me is Hoenn. I love the appearance of all 3 mons for all 3 stages and they're not too shabby battle-wise either. I can remember them being the only trio where I, as a kid, constantly reset my game to pick the other one, before ultimately settling on my ultimate and favourite pick (Swampert).

Other than that, I don't think there's any other trio that comes to mind. Kanto has Charmander towering over the two, Johto only has Totodile that's worth it to me since Tyhplosion is meh movepool-wise and Meganium is... well, Meganium. Hoenn where all 3 were kind of equal to me before deciding on my standard pick for Mudkip.

Sinnoh, I think, would come in on a second place if Chimchar wasn't ahead of them for me by a landslide. Empoleon and Torterra are both really cool mons as well.

Meanwhile, Unova and Kalos had like 1 that really stood out to me, being Samurott and Primarina and then another 1 that's cool but that just didn't hit me in a way that said "This'll be my starter", being Incineroar and Serperior. Emboar's cool but he has never really been an option. Decidueye, I like its design, but battle-wise, I really regret ever picking it in Ultra Sun.

Kalos is just a curbstomping. Greninja or bust.

Now that I think of it, my main starter choice has never been the Grass-type actually.

For me, Kalos is the hardest to choose from, because I dislike all 3 starter lines.

Johto is the hardest for me for the opposite reason: I like all 3 of the lines. Though Cindaquil has a slight edge over the other two :)

Admittedly as a kid it was Kanto. It was tough to decide who I'd want to use most when I got Red because I liked all three of their first forms. It was a reason I was glad to have Yellow first since you did get all 3.

Beyond that it was Sinnoh. Gen 4 got me back into Pokemon and I liked the look and the typing of all three of the starters. It was actually so tough to pick one at first that when I had gotten Pearl I'd played through the first gym 3 times, once with each starter, so I could see which I liked most in battle and decide then.

The Alola trio. The designs were all just so well-thought out and had a ton of personality. There's no clear winner (like Froakie in the Kalos trio) or clear loser (like Chimchar in the Sinnoh trio) in this trio, they're all fantastic.

For the Kanto games, I like Bulbasaur and Squirtle a lot, but I generally like Vileplume/Victreebel more than Venasuar, and there are a lot of water pokemon in Kanto that I really like using in my playthroughs of those games (Vaporeon, Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, Cloyster, etc). The other fire pokemon available have really limited movepools or you can't get them until too late in the games. So I often end up picking Charmander even if it's my least favorite of the 3.

In GSC, again it's kind of hard not to pick the fire type because there aren't that many others available. Typhlosion has decent offensive stats, learns flamethrower, and has decent coverage moves like thunderpunch and earthquake. Feraligatr is my favorite of the 3 design-wise, but before the physical-special split I feel like it isn't very good. Meganium's stats and movepool make it kinda hard to justify picking. In HGSS I generally go for Feraligator since it can makea lot better use of its physical attack, and you can get Houndoom earlier which I generally prefer to Typhlosion.

I almost always pick Treecko in Hoenn just because I really like its design, and its stats/movepool are good enough

In Sinnoh I like the 3 pretty evenly, but I usually go with Chimchar just because there aren't many other fire pokemon available. I think in Diamond and Pearl, the only one before you get the national dex is ponyta which is lame. On the other hand, there are quite a few decent fighting types. I pretty much never go with Turtwig just because I like using Roserade so much. Empoleon is pretty good and the only other water type that really stands out is Gyarados, so it's a tough choice between Piplup and Chimchar for me.

Snivy is my second favorite starter after Treecko, but without contrary it just feels really limited in what it can do. I don't care too much for the Tepig line, and I'd rather use Chandelure, Darmanitan, or Volcarona as fire types, and Sawk, Mienshao, or any of the "Swords of Justice" as fighting types. So I pretty much always go for Oshawott.. it's a really generic water type but that's alright.

I'd pretty much always pick Fennekin in XY since I like psychic types

The Alola starters are the hardest choice for me. All 3 have pretty interesting type combinations, decent stats and decent movepools. There's also a pretty good selection of pokemon available in those games. I like Decidueye the most based on design, Primarina the most based on stats/type/moves, and Incineroar the most based on what other fire and dark types are available, so it's usually a pretty hard choice.

I'd rather use Chandelure, Darmanitan, or Volcarona as fire types,.

A wise decision

I would most likely choose Charmander as my starter for the Kanto region, only because I really like fire types as my starter if I am given that option.

Currently, my starter Litten, who has now evolved into a Torracat is very close to becoming an Incineroar.
Fire type pokemon are one of my favorites, along with electric and rock types.

For Alola, my choice would be Litten.

Unova - not because I like them all, but rather the opposite: all three are just so ugly, boring and underwhelming in all three formes that I just can't decide which one I hate the least.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom