• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter Pokemon did you pick and why?

Ryujin

Dragon-Spirited Trainer
Reaction score
I picked Typhlosion because of its ability to learn a LOT of moves.

Blaziken... I liked it and it turned about to be my perfect match.

I always pick water,, i think theyre always the cutest:3

Bulbasaur and Chikorita because it has a good design

Torchic because I dont like the other Gen 3 Starters

Piplup because I was thinking strategically bue to the fact Empoleon is a Water/Steel type

Snivy because its a snake-based pokemon

When I played red/blue back in college I chose charmander because I wanted charizard due to the fact I like dragons.
I never played gen 2 and only got back into playing pokemon when gen IV came out.. however I have a copy of emerald and I picked torchic because I generally prefer fire types to grass and water and I like Blaziken a lot, but swampert is a very very close second.
For platinum I chose chimcharr as I think it's adorably cute and I like the combination of fire/fighting although I feel having it three times in a row is a bit boring I actually do not like gen Vs fire starter tepig at all.
On my copy of HG I chose Totodile for a rather silly reason... my partner at the time picked cyndaquil and named it after me because I love fire types, so he asked me to pick totadile and name it after him because he likes water types.

When I get around to playing my copy of white I'll be picking Oshawatt I like him best out of the three and he's based on one of my fave animals an otter :D and the samurai who I am also highly interested in.

Historically speaking, I usually pick grass types. I picked Piplup for Platinum because I thought it looked the coolest at the time.

Gen 1/FR/LG: Bulbasaur or Squirtle (rarely Charmander)
Gen 2/HG/SS: All three
Gen 3: All three
Gen 4: Chimchar or Piplup (rarely Turtwig)
Gen 5: Oshawott (never the other two)

On my very first playthrough of Red, I picked Bulbasaur because I'd heard it has the easiest time against the first two Gym Leaders, but I got very bored about a month later, so I restarted the game to play the adventure again. (I'd never do that now. Still feel kinda bad about deleting my first ever file) Now I'd played the game a bit, I wanted a harder beginning this time around, so I picked Charmander instead, and now I always pick the fire starter in the first playthrough of the Gen, for some reason, and pick the Grass starter in the 3rd game.

Blue- Squirtle
SS- Chikorita
White- Oshawott
All because they were reliable starters, Water being good defensively and Chikorita having good defenses.

i always pick grass type.... dont know why but i just do... razor leaf just look awsome to me :D

i should pick fire since i love fire types

Squirtle is the best Pokemon ever. I picked Totodile, but he wasn't nearly as cool. Torchic was alright, but IMO the starters went downhill after the first generation.

bulbasaur, chikorita, torchic, piplup, and snivy

mostly because i think they are the cutest ones to choose from... and also i'm pretty good with them training wise.

Is this gen 5 or every gen. Oh well, I'lllist them all.
Silver: Chikorita
Gold: cyndaquil
These two I chose for the cute factor. I was 12 and thats all I really cared about.
Ruby: Torchic- again cuteness
Emerald Treecko- my favorite Hoenn starter, Ilike grass types alot.
Sapphire- Mudkip cause I liek mudkipz lol.
Diamond- Piplup, mostly cause I watched the anime and that was what Dawn picked.
Soul Silver- Chikorita: Nostalgia reasons mostly, because Chikorita was the first Pokemon I ever chose.
HeartGold: Cyndaquil- Because I was resetting for any shiny starter and that was the one to shine.
Black/White: I chose Snivy in both because I liked it the best.

I usually pick Fire-types, mainly because they're the cutest, but in Diamond I picked Piplup on the most recent playthrough, because I like Steel-types.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom