• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter Pokemon did you pick and why?

Kanto- Bulbasaur. I like Grass-types, and I didn't really like Charmander or Squirtle.
Johto- Cyndaquil. Chikorita is lame, and since I was a Cyndaquil in PMD it managed to beat out Totodile. Although I did trade over the other two starters so I could use all of them.
Hoenn- Treecko. Mudkip is cool and Torchic is okay, but Treecko is the best by a large margin.
Sinnoh- Turtwig. Its like Bulbasaur, but better! I like Piplup and Chimchar too, especially their evolved forms.
Unova- Techically Tepig was my first Unovan starter because I wanted a Pansage, but I traded all three into Black. Tepig is awesome because it's bacon, Oshawott's samurai evos are epic, and Snivy is just naturally cool. I ended up using Snivy the most, the Samurott most in the post-game.
Orre- In Colo I had Umbreon and Espeon, obviously, but I evolved my Eevee into Jolteon in XD. Its always been my favorite Eeveelution becuase it is a good type and looks cool.

Kanto: I used to pick Squirtle, but now I pick Charmander. Charizard is just plain cool.

Johto: Chikorita, because I don't like the other two design-wise. I've grown to love Meganium, perhaps because of the flower.

I haven't played in Hoenn yet...

Sinnoh: Piplup. It's the cutest, and I like Empoleon's design over the other two when fully-evolved by far.

Unova: Like in Johto, the grass starter is the only who's design I liked. In the end Serperior looked pretty cool, so I'm satisfied.

If I'm not particularly drawn to any of the starters (or if I'm equally drawn to all of them) then I pick one based on how much I like/dislike other Pokémon of the same type. Eg: I love Vulpix and Lapras, and I'm not too fussed on any of the grass Pokémon in SoulSilver, so I picked Chikorita in order to create a balanced team.

So, these are what I picked on my first play-through of each game:

• Yellow: Pikachu, of course!

Silver: Chikorita - It's cute! :3
    Gold: Cyndaquil - my friend had a Totodile on his game, and I already had Chikorita, so I got a Cyndaquil. All three were bred with a Ditto so we could both have all the starters.
    Crystal: Chikorita - It's still cute! x3

Sapphire: Mudkip - again, it's cute!
    Ruby: Torchic - I didn't want to use Mudkip again and Treecko didn't appeal to me at the time.

Diamond: Chimchar - I meant to choose Piplup but accidentally selected Chimchar. I didn't restart because I just wanted to play the game.
    Platinum: All three right from the start.
    SoulSilver: Chikorita - explained at the top of this post~

Black: Snivy - once again, it's cute!

Last edited:
I chose Torchic beause its cool.
I chose Feraligatr due to its type effectiveness against Ho-oh.
I chose Oshawott cause the rest SUCK!!!!

Last edited:
In recent generations, I've been more open to eventually getting all three starters...but I'll just list my first choice for each generation.

Gen I: Squirtle
Gen II: Chikorita
Gen III: Torchic
Gen IV: Piplup
Gen V: Snivy

I usually get the water type one. I find water starters to (most of the time) be the most useful.

I typically go water because of the very few weaknesses they have and the typical uber-diversity of their movepool.

Kanto: Blastoise
Johto: Feraligatr
Hoenn: Swampert
Sinnoh: Torterra (why? because I loved the design, the type combo, and the fact that in the end, it had a type advantage on both other Pokes)
Unova: Emboar (Samurott looked too basic, and Emboar has a fantastic movepool to tank with)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom