• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter Pokemon did you pick and why?

in HG and SS i picked Chikorita....

in pearl and platimun i picked Turwig....

in B/W i picked Oshawott

I always choose Fire.

Water and Grass types are very common, but before Generation V it was a PITA trying to find a good Fire-type early in the game without trading.

I mainly choose water and grass type starters and I try to choose a different type in each consective new game. In order of which I obtained them, the starters which I have chosen are Squirtle in Red version, Cyndaquil in Silver, Totodile in Crystal version, Treeko in Sapphire version, Espeon, Umbreon and Bayleef in Colosseum, Charmander in Leaf Green, Piplup in Pearl version, Turtwig in Platinum version, Jolteon in XD (never before had the chance to have and electric type starter because I don't have Yellow version), Totodile, Charmander and Treeko in Soul Silver version, Torchic in Emerald version, Bulbasaur in Blue version, Chikorita in Silver version (2nd run), Cyndaquil in Crystal version (2nd run) and Snivy in Black version.

Last edited:
I had a thing for Water-types.
Gen I, Squirtle all the way. Blastoise is my childhood hero.
Gen II. Wait, I can pick an effing crocodile ? Let me sign. Though Cindaquil gave him competition, so cute ! And so badass after evolving.
Gen III, well... *IwontmakeamudkipjokeIwontmakeamudkipjokeIwont...* Again, special mention for the Torchic line, cuteness and badassitude in one package.

And then came Gen IV with the three most awesome starters ever. Seriously, Infernape, Empoleon and Torterra ? Dilemma is a euphemism. I think I chose Turtwig and quickly restarted the game upon making it evolve into Torterra so I could play Chimchar in turn.

Finally, the flaming pig. I fell in love with this buddy at first sight. I could see how fun it would be to hang out with Emboar. First I would call it Ganonboar, because. We'd wrestle for training and improvise strength contests for kicks, then feast like fellow ogres till we fall and take a good nap. Enjoying life at its simplest.
I might be unconsciously influenced by a saying in my native language, where "thick as thieves" involves pigs. Still. It's a boar-wrestler with a flaming beard, and it's got "BIG FUN" written all over it.

I almost always choose the Fire type. The only real expection to this was Diamond and Pearl(I love Piplup, best water starter in my opinion. Sorry Mudkip fans, I like Piplup better. =P). Fire is a type I use quite often (Despite my usertitle/whatever you call it saying "Electric types rule", I almost always have a Fire type. It just doesn't feel right to me to not have a Fire type on the team. Same with Ghost types.) Charizard and Blaziken for the win. ^_^

In Gold, my first starter was Totodile because coolest design
Sapphire: Treecko coolest design
Leafgreen: Charmander because a goddamn fire-breathing dragon
Emerald: Torchic meh, just picked something. R/S/E starters are all lame IMO (design-wise)
Diamond: Chimchar because monkeys! Better yet ninja monkeys that are on FIRE!!! :D Hands down the coolest 4th gen starter
SoulSilver: Totodile because nostalgia
HeartGold: I asked this for a christmas present, and if I get it I'm gonna start with Cyndaquil or Totodile

my first pokemon was totodile on crystal. best decision i ever made..!

And then came Gen IV with the three most awesome starters ever. Seriously, Infernape, Empoleon and Torterra ? Dilemma is a euphemism. I think I chose Turtwig and quickly restarted the game upon making it evolve into Torterra so I could play Chimchar in turn.

I agree. Sinnoh starters are the best.

Red: Bulbasaur. It worked well.
Crystal: Tododile. Best decision. Ever.
Emerald: Mudkip. It worked pretty well for me. Once it learns Earthquake, it's indestructible.
Platinum: Turtwig. It's also really great.
Soulsilver: Tododile. Still the best decision. Ever.
White: Serperior. Very good.

LeafGreen-I usually pick Charmander cause It's cute. I've picked Squirtle a few times though.

Ruby-I've picked all of them at some point, But now I usually stick with Mudkip. Treeko and Torchic are cute,but I really don't like their final evolutions much.

Pearl-Chimchar. I was torn between him and Piplup at first, but my sister really wanted Piplup in her game(she has Diamond), and we never chose the same starters,so I let her have piplup and I chose Chimchar.

HeartGold-Cyndaquil. I liked all the starters in this game, but I've always LOVED Cyndaquil, so I chose him.

Black-Snivy. I liked it's design the best. Tepig was just ugly. Oshawatt was cute, but I liked Snivy better.

Last edited:
I usually end up playing the games with all of them at some point or another. But here are the ones I started each game with for the first time:

Ruby: Mudkip
Sapphire: Treecko
Emerald: Torchic
FR: Charmander
LG: Squirtle
Diamond: Piplup
Pearl: Turtwig
Platinum: Haven't gotten my starter yet, but planning on taking Chimchar
Black: Tepig
White: Haven't gotten my starter yet, but planning on taking Oshawott

kanto- charmander because he is my fave, bulbasaur because of effectiveness on first two gyms, squirtle because he feels left out
johto- Totodile because alligators/crocodiles are cool
hoenn- mudkip because the other two are derpy
sinnoh- turtwig because chimchar seems perfect for barry, and dawn has a piplup in the anime

I always seem to pick a water Pokemon as a starter, except when it comes to Charmander, i mean who WOULDN'T want a Charizard?

Gen I: Bulbasaur because of its dinosaur like appearance.
Gen II: Totodile because of its playful behaviour.
Gen III: Mudkip because Mudkip is insanely cute. Swampert is one of the most horrible looking Pokémon, though.
Gen IV: Turtwig because Turtwig is even cuter than Mudkip.
Gen V: Tepig because I like Tepig in the anime.

In Gen 1 I picked Charmander, cause i loved charizard. I didn't catchup with pokemon since generation 2, so i picked up the fire types in all those as well.

Oshawott in White, not because ''it's cute'', but because Water is a balanced type, better than Fire and Grass, which are terrible defensively. I'd love to pick Snivy if I ever restart, though-that face is instant awesome.

I don't remember what I've picked in older gens, but in DPPt, I picked all three. I had all three games, I picked a different one in each game. In SoulSilver I picked Totodile because its my favorite Johto starter. In White, I picked Snivy because its my favorite Unova starter. I just started Black today and I picked Oshawott. I like Tepig, but I'm not a fan of its evolutions.

hmmm as to why I pick certain starters, I think It may all be about design. I usually don't look ahead and see what they turn into so I base there appearance on the first stage only, except for gen 4 I started that later I got diamond after platnium already came out so I had some idea what guys looked like or became. so here is a list of the guys I picked
Blue- charmander
Red- squirtle ( I know kind of ironic picked opposite for those two versions)
yellow- pikachu ( well thats kind of obvious)
gold- chikorita, probably because at that point I hadn't picked a grass type starter yet
silver- totodile
crystal- I think I might of picked totodile again or maybe cyndaquil that way so I could have gotten all 3
sapphire- torchic I think I picked him because I might have a slight leaning towards the fire type starters or at least at that point
emerald- only got this recently, so not when it came out. I picked mudkip, because he seemed like the best choice and also mudkip was the only starter that I didn't have on my heartgold game
leafgreen- can't really remember I think I picked squirtle
diamond- first playthrough chimchar, I think because I liked his last stage the most or what I thought it was like only kind of vague on what he turned into, second playthrough turtwig- see my name hahaha decided torterra looked cool so I'd pick him
heartgold- I picked totodile because I think I felt like I had over used cynadquil for some reason and didn't feel like getting chikorita, I thiink it was based on what my friends picked although later my friend gave me a cyndaquil egg so it joined my team as well :)
now finally to the current generation white sinvy- Just look at the little guy haha I thought that was so cool probably what a lot of people thought for treecko when they first saw him is my bet, I think I picked that I wuld get him the second I saw images what the 3 starters would be, and now i didn't peak and look at next evolutions or stats before the game came out.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom