• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter Pokémon would you choose from each region?

Kanto-Squirtle

Johto-Cyndaquil

Hoenn-Mudkip/Torchic

Sinnoh-Turtwig

Isshu Unova- Tsutarja Snivy....:p

Hmm... I'd pick the fire starters for all four regions gen I-IV, then pick the grass one i cant spell from gen V but only use it as a dual screener because of its horrid offensive stats. I'd probably find some way to get a Charmander into my game and use that in place of a starter.

Kanto-Charmader, its last form is awsome!!
Johto-Chickorita, reminds me of somthing I saw
Hoenn-Mudkip, I heard you liek Mudkipz and one of the six i will not evolve
Sinnoh-Turtwig, im fond of that grass pokemon
Unova-Tepig or Oshawatt, Soo cute, must....not....evolve....

Last edited:
Squirtle
Cyndaquil
Mudkip
Chimchar

Haven't done much research with Gen V so I'm not answering.. but so far there is a common trend with who I pick and don't pick...

Kanto: Charmander

Johto: Cyndaquil

Hoenn: Torchic

Sinnoh: Chimchar

Isshu/Unova: Solid Snivy

Kanto: Squirtle
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup
Isshu: Tepig/Oshawatt
Yeah I'm a huge fan of Water type starters since I usually start with the Water type every time a new Pokemon game comes out.

Kanto: Squirtle, cause I just love turtles
Johto: Totodile, I wanted water type, cause my last one was
Hoenn: Treecko, I just liked it
Sinnoh: Turtwig, turtle
Unova: Don't know yet. I would like to take Fire type but I love Snivy

From each region? Well that's not too hard!

Kanto: Squirtle! I love that thing! It was the first starter I ever chose! Back in LeafGreen, lol! (I'm not as old of a player as everyone else!)

Johto: Chikorita! I've always thought it looked better than the other three. And then I realized it grew into a giant dinosaur...

Hoenn: Mudkip! So i herd u liek mudkipz...

Sinnoh: UGH. Maybe... Chimchar? I hated them all. I like Monferno though. Oh well.

Unova: Oshawott! That thing is a little freaking sea otter! (I like its second evolution too!)

Kanto: Hard choice cuz all 3 rock,but I guess Squirtle since he's been a common pick for me in the past

Johto: Totdile! I'm from New Orleans, so I love gators xD

Hoenn: Treecko. Geckos are my fav type of lizard

Sinnoh: Chimcar. a fire monkey. why wouldn't I choose him?

Unova: Snivy. cuz he's as smug as a bug in a jug under a rug next to a slug..

Kanto - squirtle cuz blastoise is awesome

johto - chikorita somebody has to give it some love, right

hoenn - torchic, easily the best Fire/fighting starter

sinnoh - turtwig, infernape is overshadowed by blaziken IMO and empoleon is fugly

Unova - pokabu, but thats it no evolving he's just too cute

squirtle
totodile
treecko
piplup or turtwig
jalorda or mijumaru (I would NOT evolve it into daigenki >:C)

as you can see I'm not a fire starter fan :D

Kanto-Charmander
Johto-Cyndaquil
Hoenn-Mudkip
Sinnoh-Piplup
Unova-Tough one because I like all three equally, but I guess Snivy.

Kanto- Main choice-Bulbasaur. Alternate-Squirtle.

Johto- Main choice-Totodile. Alternate-Chikorita.

Hoenn- Main choice-Torchic. Alternate-Treecko.

Sinnoh- Main choice-Piplup. Alternate-Turtwig.

Unova- Main choice-Snivy. Alternate-Oshawott.

Kanto: Main Choice- Charmander. Secondary- Squirtle
Johto- Main- Totodile. Secondary- Cyndaquil
Hoenn- Main- Mudkip. Secondary- Treecko
Sinnoh- Main- turtwig. Secondary- chimchar
Unova- Main- Oshawott Secondary- Snivy

Kanto: Charmander.

Johto: Cyndaquil.

Hoenn: Torchic.

Sinnoh: Piplup because I don't like Chimchar that much.

Unova: Oshawott because of Futachimaru and Daikenki. :)

Kanto: Bulbasaur, I think it has something to do with not having to run back to the pokecenter after every encounter with a weedle
Johto: Totodile, The others look really weird to me.
Hoenn: Torchik, great typing combination, too bad it's used every single time now -.-
Sinnoh: Piplup, the steel typing when it evolves is awesome
Unova: Snivy, even though I wish it didn't have limbs for all of it's stages.

Kanto-Charmander
Johto-Totodile
Hoenn-Mudkip (not because of the meme)
Sinnoh-Turtwig
Unova-Snivy

Johto: Totadile
Hoenn: Mudkip
Unova: Oshawott

Water types FTW, yo. I always find them super duper useful.

I'd choose Squirtle, Cyndaquil or Totodile, Treecko, Chimchar or Piplup, and Snivy. I think I would pick Cyndaquil over Totodile, but I dunno.

Anyway, Blastoise is cool, gotta love those cannons, though I've never used the Gen 1 starters too much. Typhlosion I've used in another age on Shoddy--though the set that I used then is much more viable now, and can be run with an interesting and great new twist; I've used all the starters in the original GSC, and I like them all. Sceptile I've used on Shoddy, and he is great--Blaziken as of recent and Swampert as it has been are used too much for my taste. As far as Chimchar/Piplup goes, well, I basically like Chimchar for its learning of Taunt at a low level, though Empoleon is my favorite of the starter finals, I think--it'd probably be Empoleon I go for.

Snivy is my favorite starter period, though in the B/W thread I said that I'd probably pick one of the others ingame.
Johto: Totadile
Hoenn: Mudkip
Unova: Oshawott

Water types FTW, yo. I always find them super duper useful.
Yeah, the Water starters are collectively the best, with none, I'd argue, being at all that bad. Torterra is probably the starter who is the worst off competitively, followed by Charizard (though Charizard will always be popular to some, and will probably always be used). Meganium has a tough outing in singles, but I think it can work well in doubles. Enbuoh has some trouble with that low speed stat, but there are ways around that. All the other starters are generally very useful and immediately useful. (Meganium has obvious uses, and its DW ability can be quite the catch, though it misses Giga Drain now. It's too bad that it doesn't get Growth also.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom