• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which starter will you choose?

Turtwig, Chimchar or Piplup?

• Turtwig

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Piplup

Votes: 36 37.9%

• Total voters
I honestly do not know. I don't really like the Gen 4 starters that much so I don't have any attachments.

Piplup is the cutest of the 3 and has a rather cool final evolution, but since Pokémon Contests exist in Sinnoh I want to use Milotic as my water type.

Really just leaves me with Turtwig and Chimchar. If we get more fire types then I'll go with Turtwig. Otherwise, I'll go with Chimchar.

I’ll probably go with Turtwig; I’m partial to Grass types. However, a small part of me wants to go with Chimchar. Mainly because I’d like to have a Garchomp on my team, and I don’t want two Ground types.

I'm going to pick Chimchar for BD. It was my starter back in Diamond and most of that team will be a recreation of my original Diamond team as well. Plus, I really like Chimchar and its evolutions too.

As for SP, I'm going to pick Turtwig. My original Pearl starter was Piplup, but I chose Turtwig in Platinum. I really enjoyed raising it and it's still one of my favorite Grass starters. I was going back and forth on picking Piplup just to match my original Pearl team a bit more, but after having a better idea of what other Pokemon I'd want to have for my SP team, I was more reassured to stick with Turtwig. Plus, I can still raise a Piplup in Legends, so that can still be an option for another team instead of this one.

Either Chimchar or Piplup. I just know that I won't pick Turtwig because it was so slow when I played the old DP games and I don't want a repeat of that.

I always go with Pokémon that I didn't use before. I intended to pick Turtwig on my Platinum run, but I thought Torterra could be competitively difficult through the game. Since the difficulty level of the games is almost equal to zero nowadays, I may as well go with Turtwig this time.

Something I actually kind of like about the lower difficulty is that it gives you more freedom for team options. In Pearl, I originally wanted to keep my Turtwig unevolved (because I adore Turtwig), but I ended up evolving it because battles became too difficult. Maybe I could actually get away with not evolving it this time around, especially if there's an Eviolite available.

Last edited:
I am impartial to Piplup. In the event I play as Lucas, I will choose Chimchar so that Dawn gets Piplup like in the anime.

It's going to be Chimchar. When I'd originally played Pearl I went with Turtwig first, and tried it out until on the way to the second gym when I'd had a change of heart, and restarted the game selecting Chimchar. Tried starting Platinum with Piplup but after the first gym I'd opted to go and start over selecting Chimchar like I did in Pearl. I'm going to learn from my past since I know whichever I choose in the end I'd end up going for Chimchar anyway so I'll save time this time around and just begin with it.

Man, now this is a loaded question that I hadn't thought about.

My favorite of this trio has always been Piplup, but I never really gave Chimchar a shot, and Turtwig was always the one I would use when I was younger. I think I'll probably go with Turtwig because of nostalgia, but that might change going forward.

Maybe Piplup but I'm leaning on Turtwig because I've always wanted to use one since playing Pearl.

Turtwig was the last time I picked a grass starter and that was my first play through. It probably deserves another chance.

I'm technically choosing Turtwig, but using all three. I will breed the Infernape from my first playthrough of Platinum (and first Pokémon game ever), and the Empoleon from my second playthrough of Platinum. So my team will have the children of my first two Sinnoh starters and Turtwig.

However if something horribly goes wrong and I can't transfer Pokémon into BDSP for some reason, I'm picking Piplup since it's my favorite starter ever.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom