• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Starters are Canon (Kalos)?

Which Starter Pairings do you Believe to be Canon?

• Shauna: Chespin, Serena: Fennekin, Calem:Froakie

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Shauna: Fennekin, Serena: Froakie, Calem: Chespin

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Shauna: Froakie, Serena: Chespin, Calem: Fennekin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shauna: Fennekin, Calem: Froakie, Serena: Chespin

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Shauna: Froakie, Calem: Chespin, Serena: Fennekin

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Shauna: Chespin, Calem: Fennekin, Serena: Froakie

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Pokeplayer150

Reaction score
So after receiving a lot of unexpected attention on the previous posts of this series, I decided to continue it again. However, I'm skipping Unova because I'm a bit stuck on what three I should list for the first one (i.e. Bianca and Cheren with each protagonist or both protagonists with Cheren or Bianca?). If you guys could give me some advice on that, it would be very helpful. But anyway, I'll leave off with my picks for the region, you do the same with yours and see ya!

Calem: Froakie

Serena: Fennekin

Shauna: Chespin

I go with what I think looks the most fitting. Also based on my personal X playthrough.

Calem-Froakie since I find it to be the most masculine of the 3 imo and Calem's default outfit is primarily blue.
Serena-Fennekin since it is the most feminine of the group imo and because default Serena wears a red skirt.
Shauna-Chespin since its the only one left:p

I like to think of Chespin as Calem's Starter. Just because, really.

The anime has conditioned me to associate Fennekin with Serena.

Shauna gets Froakie. Which is fine because Froakie is pretty femenine, so I think it suits her.

For some reason Serena with Fennekin, Shauna with Froakie and Calem with Chespin has kinda stuck me as head-canon. It's mainly from my personal gaming experience, but also from anime and manga.

Just like some people have said it, Serena is kinda stuck with Fennekin after the anime scenario. Fennekin just feels most suitable for Serena's character in both games and anime; in anime Fennekin is absolutely the fancy pokémon who wants to keep its fur clean and in games (if the player is male), Serena the rival is seeking out the key to Mega Evolution and the whole Pokémon journey is like a pilgrimage. In this mindset I just can't help but seeing Delphox (you know, a bit magical Pokémon who can see in the future blablabla, Idk, it just fits) by her side. And if the rival Serena is to have Fennekin, it means Calem gets Chespin with the type disadvantage. Also in Pokémon Adventures Calem/X gets Chespin, so it kinda suits.

And I just personally associate Froakie with Shauna :D. I can't help it, I think they are a perfect match. Both of them, despite being serious about themselves, are quite comical characters after all.

These are the pokemon that I felt suited them the most.

Shauna: Chespin (hey, they share the same smile too)

Serena: Fennekin

Calem:Froakie

I chose Calem with Froakie, as it fits him. Then went Fennekin with Serena as anime.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom