• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which stat means the most to you?

Pick one

• Total voters
Speed is where it's at, yo. Why do you think I like Infernape so much? Sure, she's just the 46th fastest Pokemon ever, but her speed makers her extremely useful.

Fake-Out + Stealth Rock. Best combo ever~

I like fast and hard hitters like Infernape and Weavile the best,
but voting for ATK would be a lie, though.
If the Poké doesn't have speed enough to my taste, like Gigaiath, I try to find something that has lower defences, but better speed.

So, speed, but only when it comes with rough power.

I try to increase Atk stats as much as I can, because most types have a double weakness, and a well-placed, hard-hit does the job.

Speed first, so that I can attack first. After that, it's whatever Attack stat that an attack uses to maximise potential damage dealt.

I like speed, but bulky hardhitters are my preference. I love a good defense stat too, to really stop physical attackers. (Torterra!!!)

It depends on the Pokémon.

While there's nothing more frustrating than low speed (next to confusion of course), I use a lot of Pokémon where speed is neither an issue or a necessity. A Pokémon that's supposed to be fast but has a speed lowering nature, I cannot abide by. Brave Starly? Fuck off. Relaxed Shieldon? Yes please.

I voted Special Defense because there's nothing worse than watching your favourite Pokémon get one-shotted by an Ice Beam or a Thunderbolt and nothing feels better than surviving what should've been a sure hit and turning the tables.

Last edited:
I usually go for either the speedy or the bulky pokémon.

So for me, my preferred stats are speed, HP, attack and special attack.

Brave Starly? Fuck off.

I didn't know Paul posted on Bulbagarden.

All jokes aside I agree. I generally don't care about Natures but I don't like Natures that lower speed or your best stat. I don't care if I get a lonley Scyther even if I would have preferred Jolly.

But if I get Brave, Timid, Modest, Quiet or something to that effect I wouldn't be happy either.

Speed every good poke needs speed and Attack or Sp. Attack, not a huge fan of tanks though :)

Speed for the Win, getting the first strike for me is the most important part. Though, Speed is useless if you don't have high enough Attack or Special Attack.

speed can make or break a match - the other stats can usually be worked around if they're bad

For the sake of contributing to the topic, I guess I would go for Defence, because I prefer defensive Pokemon. However, I have my thoughts on this topic, so read it if you dare...

I feel that the options given in the poll is lacking, to be honest. There is actually only one viable options out of them all, and I think you know it: Speed. The reason is that on its own, Speed is relevant, because if you have more than one Pokemon and look at the Speed stat, you can determine the turn order and act accordingly, so it is easy to compare the usability of Pokemon by Speed. It is actually inevitable that Speed is the best stat compared to others, because most of the time, they are not significant by themselves. I guess this means the results will boil down to Speed or non-Speed.

If this would be a multi-selection poll, it would be even better, because it meant that certain combinations can be viable. For example:
* Power (Attack, Sp. Attack selected)
* Defences (HP, Defence and Sp. Defence selected)
* Physical Sweeping ability (Attack, Speed selected)
* Special Sweeping ability (Sp. Attack, Speed selected)

These are pretty much some of the combinations I want to demonstrate.

"Power" is self explanatory. This means that what matters to you is the Pokemon's ability to attack the opponents' Pokemon for hefty damage. This means you prefer Deoxys-A or maybe Lucario. In this case, even if the Speed of the Pokemon is great yet has low attack power, they are not preferred, so Jumpluff is not what a Power player to pick. The ability to hit through both defences meant that not many Pokemon has the ability to block them. Some do have a priority attack, so if that's the case, it's obvious that Speed isn't important, because no matter what, the attack goes first in most cases (not to mention they are powerful)!

"Defences" is also obvious: you prefer a Pokemon that is able to take many hits and do its job. Some notables include Shuckle, Wobbuffet and the Regis. Speed is not an issue to them, because even the slower Pokemon can have one attack after the faster, unlike some other RPGs where the fastest member can have more turns in the long run (like Final Fantasy Tactics!).

"Physical Sweeping" and "Special Sweeping" are what it says. Speed is important, alright, but the attacking stats need to work for them as well. Therefore, we have like Gengar, who can Specially sweep, or Kojondo, who has high Speed and Attack.

Of course, if more than one is selected, they need to explain themselves, because then, everyone will understand why they preferred that combination.

As for me, I prefer "Defences", because I prefer my Pokemon to be able to survive, but I cannot select that, because there are too few options to reach my decision.
Basically what I am saying is the spoiler is that this topic will be even better if it's multi-choice instead of mono-choice.

Thanks for reading.

For me, I generally play a defense/speed game. If they have high Defense and Special Defense, I will, more than likely, add it to my team (like Desukaan, who is a shoo-in on my Isshu team). I also play for Speed. I like to hit hard and fast. I love a Pokemon that can embody both (Gliscor is one of my favorites in both departments). However, I prefer Defense over Speed. So, I'll go with Defense, although Special Defense and Speed are dead even second place.

Speed.

With my style of play, and all the frail but powerful sweepers I use, it's kill or be killed. And I sure as hell won't be killing unless I can go first.

For me, unlike alot of people, I honestly don't care. Normaly I would say Speed if I did care, but the existance of priority moves and Trick Room change things around a bit. If I favored Speed, someone with Trick Room could get the edge on me, which is why some of my Pokemon may be slowpokes (Empoleon and Aggron for instance).
When it comes to stats overall, I'm fine with even average stats such as a base attack of 85 or somewhere else around that, as I've used Kricketune to good effect either way. I believe that it's mostly type matchups that really make or break a Pokemon, and given dual weaknesses, even Kricketune's average Attack can hit Celebi hard in the face with STAB X-Scissor.
This is one reason I tend to use Entei more than the other two Beasts, as Entei is better capable of dishing out damage than Suicune is, and does just fine with Fire Fang as STAB (Which is nothing compared to the GLORIOUS Crown Entei's almighty Flare Blitz).
Defensively, I prefer the use of type matchups over actual defense, as even though Aggron is destroyed by 4x Fighting and Groudn weaknesses, no other Pokemon can switch into Brave Bird and Hyper Beam like that without being immune to the latter move. Aggron's Rock/Steel is the only typing capable of having a dual resistance to Normal without an immunity, which can come in handy alot since Ghost's immunity to Normal can still be bypased, whereas Aggron's 1/4x Normal resistance cannot.

I don't really care much about stats. Though I do like it when a Pokémon of mine has high HP. So I vote for that.

Speed. Unless the Pokémon is slow, then HP comes as a second. Just take Agirudaa and Shubarugo as examples. For some reason I really like the Special Attack stat so that one comes third.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom