• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

which status conditions do you prefer?

which do you prefer more?

• Total voters

shadowcelebi

Reaction score
so which status conditions do you prefer more? do you prefer the status conditions the way they were for the past games like for example, pokemon getting frozen and falling asleep? or do you prefer the reworked version in legends arceus where freeze makes pokemon get frostbitten (exactly like burn but lowers special) and sleep just makes the pokemon drowsy (exactly like paralyze, not sure the difference)? or do you think there should of been stages to these status conditions like the next time the pokemon gets frostbitten, they get frozen?

edit: dang auto correct screwed me over, the first option was suppose to say "the way it always was" and i can't edit that option to fix the mistake, sorry about the error there...

Last edited:
I'm not choosing either side. I much prefer Sleep to Drowsy overall but I also really do appreciate the Ice-type themed and Special Attack reducing Frostbite being the long-missing direct counterpart to the Fire-type themed and Physical Attack lowering Burn. I'd settle on a compromise: Keep Frostbite but drop Drowsy.

I'm not choosing either side. I much prefer Sleep to Drowsy overall but I also really do appreciate the Ice-type themed and Special Attack reducing Frostbite being the long-missing direct counterpart to the Fire-type themed and Physical Attack lowering Burn. I'd settle on a compromise: Keep Frostbite but drop Drowsy.
yeah, not a fan of drowsy either. its actually a direct upgrade to paralyze since from what i been reading, drowsy makes it so the pokemon takes extra damage. which makes paralyze redundant. not sure how to feel about frostbite though since they pretty much took the exact same code from burn and made it lower special...

I think they should keep Frostbite (as that's a special attack nerf counterpart to Burn's physical attack nerf), but bring back Sleep. I have nothing against the standard Freeze, but Frostbite seems to be not only more fair but also more interesting than just being another version of Sleep.

However, I think it would be interesting if the Sleep status effect starts off as Drowsy, but has a chance each turn to escalate into Sleep after being too drowsy to move. Once asleep, the Pokémon would stay that way until the whole thing wears off. I would also adjust the Early Bird ability accordingly to have it wear off immediately after the first instance of being too drowsy to move in order to accommodate this change.

I want sort of a compromise with the status ailments due to some of the mechanics that Legends: Arceus introduced. For starters, I like the fact that all status ailments are now temporary (and without the need of affection to remove them) and I feel should remain that way. That way it'll reduce the need for healing items and prevent moves that spam status ailments (like Toxic) from being abused to such ludicrous levels. I also like the fact that not only do status ailments wear off after the battle but now inflicting status ailments is a bit easier, as the moves that inflict them now have a more reasonable 20%-30% to inflict it, especially status ailments that are harder to get like Burn. That's something I'd like to see kept going forward.

In terms of the "new" status ailments that LA introduced, I do agree that Frostbite should replace Freeze, as it's not only more fair than being a very rare version of Sleep but acts like a logical counterpart to Burn. Plus it's much easier to inflict than Freeze, so I feel it should replace Freeze. Drowsy needs to go and return to the normal Sleep status ailment, as it's not only a beefed up Paralysis but it makes said status ailment rather redundant. However, I do feel that they should keep the increased damage effect, as that makes sense to me (as you can't defend yourself while you're asleep, thus more likely to take damage) and some other games that use sleep status ailments also increases the damage received when under it. So I think that effect should stay but the Drowsy status itself should return to good old fashioned Sleep.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom