• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Switch Would You Get?

TonySharp

Reaction score
I've not played any of the Pokemon games since Nintendo DS and so I thought I would purchase a Switch and try the new games. I'm not really too sure which Switch to get though, the Switch Lite looks cheaper but you don't seem to be able to link it to a tv or is that not a big deal? The other differences don't look too significant so I'm leaning more towards the Lite as its cheaper.

Image Source

Unless you're really worried about money, I would definitely recommend getting the original Switch. I've played my Switch mostly handheld (which the original Switch is perfectly comfortable to do so), but lately when I replayed BoTW I played it on the TV. You never know when you might want to play a game on the TV. Getting the Switch Lite takes away that ability. And there's really no benefit to the Switch Lite whatsoever aside from the lower price. Nintendo is just now releasing a revised original Switch which has greater battery life, even more than the Switch Lite... So the Switch Lite is inferior to the Switch even as a handheld.

I'd definitely get the regular Switch and hardly ever play it undocked, as I do prefer home consoles for 3D games. Even the Switch Lite is probably less comfortable than a DS/3DS.

Last edited:
I will be playing 70% of the time on handheld mode, but I want to have the chance to see how it feels to play in a TV as I've never owned a home console before, so I'll go for the standard version. The upcoming version with more battery seems really appealing too.

I've not played any of the Pokemon games since Nintendo DS and so I thought I would purchase a Switch and try the new games. I'm not really too sure which Switch to get though, the Switch Lite looks cheaper but you don't seem to be able to link it to a tv or is that not a big deal? The other differences don't look too significant so I'm leaning more towards the Lite as its cheaper.

Image Source
I have yet to also buy a Switch and SwSH was one of the games to do so but now it isn't. I'm getting the new improved version of the classic model for some other games which I think will look great on a TV and also to be able to play with my family and everyone being able to watch.
Another reason why I'm going for the classic and not the Lite is because I've bough a DS XL and didn't liked the weight and increased screens so I probably wouldn't like Lite. Last but not least, the Lite is like the upgrade to the 3DS but using the Switch software and I'm not into buying the new portable console.

I'm planning on getting the classic Switch soon. I've had my heart set on the red/blue classic Switch since it was announced. I considered the Switch Lite, but after learning that it couldn't connect to your TV and was only a handheld, I decided to stick with wanting to get the classic instead. I'll probably be playing a lot using it as a handheld, but I'd still like that option to be able to play on my TV if I want too.

I have the classic switch, but I'm considering upgrading to the revised version with better battery life. I do like the Lite, but I'm one of those 50/50 users who has it docked about as much as I have it portable, so losing docking is a bit too much of a downside for me.

It really depends on what games you want to play. I mostly use my Switch in handheld mode, but I do own and play games such as Mariokart and Just Dance as well, which you obviously want to play in console mode

Another reason to get the normal Switch would have to do with a minor design flaw. Joy-cons have this little cap under their joystick, rather than the whole bit being one piece. Dirt and grime tends to collect under it, eventually resulting in drifting. It's not terribly difficult to clean, but it's still annoying and I hope they'll eventually release upgraded versions of the joy-con so I can replace my current ones and not have that issue anymore

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom