• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Ultra Beast is your favourite and why?

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score
I like Pheromosa because she has a design that makes her seem like she'd side eye you while sipping vintage champagne.

Pheromosa is my favorite as well, mainly cause I just really like it's design. Buzzwole is another favorite cause JoJo, and Celesteela is another I like cause of the legend it's based on.

I guess I like Poipole, the Ultra Beasts don't really interest me as much as other things, like gyms.

my absolute favorite ultra beast is guzzlord; its design is a mess, but in such a lovably bizarre way, not to mention it reminds me of lovecraftian horrors. My next favorite ultra beast would be stakataka, I like the idea that it's an eerie accumulation of blocks with eyes. Blacephalon, poipole, and naganadel are my favorites after that. I have a slight fondness for celesteela and nihiligo, but I don't like them as much as the others that I mentioned.

I think my favorite one would be Xurkitree. At first glance, I thought it had five wiry tentacles, but even as a humanoid being I love that big bundle of electrical cords with a spiky light for a head. My other favorite is Stakataka. I mean, an ominous stone tower that’s actually a colonial organism of living bricks with eyes? That’s fuckin’ awesome right there. I also really like Nihilego and Kartana, so they’re close behind in my ranking. (Pheromosa is really the only UB I don’t like to some degree.)

Yeah, I really love Blacephalon too, perhaps as much as Pheromosa. I love the whole silly clown thing.
Nihilego is really interesting from a conceptual standpoint as well... and Poipole is just plain adorable.

Naganadel, just purely for its design.

Other than that, Buzzwhole is absolutely god-tier meme stuff (He's the frickin' Crimson Chin for crying out loud!), and Celesteela is a giant steel bamboo cannon. That's just amazing!

Honestly, I have things I like about all of them!
  • Nihilego = While I'm not a huge fan of its design, I do like its role in SM's story (the original games + the anime, not USUM) and its creepy lore. (Honestly, though, it's really not that creepy; playing around with it in Pokemon Refresh reveals that it can bee
  • Buzzwole = I love this thing so much! Its design is both hilarious and awesome, and its power in-game is unbelievable. Not only that, but its personality in the anime was pretty much on-point; it was a huge showoff, just like in Pokemon Refresh.
  • Perhamosa = Not really the biggest fan of this one, and I've never really used it in-game; still, Perhamosa is pretty solid. I like its design, its neat-freak personality, and its episode in the anime (especially the part where it fought Bewear).
  • Xurkitree = Easily the UB I've used the most in-game; my main Xurkitree, Watt, is an absolute beast with its combo of Z-Hypnosis, Tail Glow, and Thunderbolt. Not only that, but its design is just so obviously "alien" and I like it a lot. (Sadly, it had little to no personality in the anime.)
  • Celesteela = I like how it's based on a Japanese legend, and its episode in the anime was pretty cool (especially because it gave Sophocles some limelight). That being said, I haven't used it a lot in game; defensive 'mons aren't really my thing most of the time.
  • Kartana = This little guy's design reminds me of Kubo and the Two Strings, which was an awesome movie (so I'm really glad about that). It's also pretty powerful, to! (Reeeeeeally hope the anime doesn't do a disservice to it, like they did with Xurkitree.)
  • Guzzlord = This UB may be pretty weak compared to the others in-game, but the fact that it's pretty much a destroyer of worlds is absolutely awesome (and terrifying). Not only that, but it starred in two of the SM series' best episodes ever!
  • Poipole/Naganadel = These UBs are just rad. I love how they look, I love Nagandel's strength in battle, I love Ash's Poipole from the anime, and I love that they're Poison-types (because Poison-types rock).
  • Stakataka = Probably my least favorite of the UBs. I've never really used it in the games, and its episode in the anime was rather boring. Still, it has a pretty interesting design (and I like how it's based on a yokai), I suppose.
  • Blacephalon = This alien clown is simply hilarious, especially in its anime episode. (Seriously, I'm pretty sure that Blacephalon was Michael Jackson reincarnated.) It's Special Attacking prowess is pretty scary to boot...for my opponents, of course. For me, it's great!
Considering this, I'd have to say that out of all the UBs, my favorite would probably be Xurkitree. Even if its depiction in the anime was disappointing, the episode itself was pretty great (and I've grown quite attached to my own in USUM).

Celesteela for sure, I like the concept behind it and think it was well-designed. I also like being how it can be used offensively or defensively fairly well. I quite like Nihilego too.

While I think Stakataka has the most interesting concept of them (a colony of living eye bricks forming a gigantic tower), Blacephalon is my favorite. I just love how it’s a perfect mix of goofy and alien looking and how cartoony its physiology is (mind blowing, dare I say).

I really like how the anime portrayed it. A goofy showoff that just wants to fish some gasps out of a crowd.

Pheromosa’s my favorite in part because of its connection to Lusamine, in part because it’s an epic glass cannon, and in part because of its amazing catch rate in Vanilla Moon (255) which means it doesn’t have to be confined to a Beast Ball. I much prefer it in the Love Ball, though maybe I’ll trying catching another one in a Moon Ball in my next play through.

Honorable mentions include Nihilego, Celesteela, and Guzzlord in terms of design, and Poipole/Naganadel in terms of usage as a Fairy counter.

I also have an idea for Stakataka to be included in a Pokémon parody of Casablanca where it plays the building :)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom