• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which underused type combinations should have more Pokemon?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Usually when people take about what types they want to see they'll obviously choose type combinations that haven't been used yet. However, there are also some type combinations that are either only on one evolutionary family/individual Pokemon or have been used very few times.

Some examples of type combinations that I want to see more of include Rock/Fighting, Poison/Flying and Rock/Grass. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more Pokemon with these types yet.

Which underused types do you think we should see more of?

Fire and Ice are two awesome typings that could have really cool designs considering they're kinda the opposite of each other, but it's only been used on a form of a form of a pokemon I hate

Fire/Water is also really underused, it could have really cool designs for the same reason, but only one exists and its a mythical (so good luck ever getting it) and isn't as cool as you'd expect anyway. And Fire/Grass, another cool potential type combo, has somehow not been used at all

I'd like Water/Steel and Poison/Fairy to be explored a bit more. They're really great type combinations on the Pokémon that have them (Empoleon and Galarian Weezing, respectively) and I'd love to see more done with them.

In terms of design potential, I'm also gonna second Ice/Fire and Fire/Water; but the likes of Fire/Steel, Bug/Ghost, Rock/Poison, and Dragon/Fairy feel like prime candidates for some cool concepts as well.

(I'm also a little surprised to see that Water/Grass, Grass/Ground and Grass/Rock are still unique combinations. They almost seem like the most obvious types to pair with Grass, no?)

I'd like another Water/Grass Pokemon. The only one that we have is the Ludicolo line. I think it would be cool to get another one someday. Also, a true Dragon/Fairy type Pokemon, since the only one we have is on a Mega Evolution, and we all know that's a thing of the past. And maybe Ice/Fighting since a lot of people, for whatever reason, despise Crabominable. Maybe we could use a new one that people would actually want to use, I guess?

Fire/Steel, Electric/Fire, and Dark/Fire deserve more Pokémon. They have Heatran, Rotom-Fire, and the Houndoom line respectively. I'm also surprised there aren't more Fire/Dragons!

Ice also really needs a buff: Ice/Steel, Ice/Fighting, Ice/Ghost, Ice/Electric have 1 or 0 Pokémon extant. Ice Steel has a lot of resistances, in particular

Fire/Steel, Electric/Fire, and Dark/Fire deserve more Pokémon. They have Heatran, Rotom-Fire, and the Houndoom line respectively. I'm also surprised there aren't more Fire/Dragons!

Ice also really needs a buff: Ice/Steel, Ice/Fighting, Ice/Ghost, Ice/Electric have 1 or 0 Pokémon extant. Ice Steel has a lot of resistances, in particular
Don't forget that Incineroar is also fire/dark.

Another Fire/Ice Pokémon would be great. The current one is just Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan, which doesn't see much play because the regular one is too good and because Zen Mode is Darmanitan's Hidden Ability for some reason, which are already difficult to obtain through normal gameplay.

Bringing this thread back now that we are well into Gen 9 — because guess what, we finally have another Rock/Poison type that's not an Ultra Beast!
In terms of design potential, I'm also gonna second Ice/Fire and Fire/Water; but the likes of Fire/Steel, Bug/Ghost, Rock/Poison, and Dragon/Fairy feel like prime candidates for some cool concepts as well.
Glimmora definitely did not disappoint, because that is exactly the kind of fantastic and unique Pokémon that I was wishing for when I wrote this.

However, I am a little disappointed that Chi-Yu is Dark/Fire rather than Fire/Water. I do like it as it is, and I get that all of the Treasures of Ruin are part Dark-type, but it just feels a bit... boring? Unfitting for it? I don't know. Feels like a missed opportunity, is all.

On the other hand, we also finally have our first Steel/Poison type with Revavroom, and it's such a good type combo that I already wish there were more of 'em. I think it's still got a lot of potential for really cool ideas.

We have yet to see an actual Fire/Electric type Pokémon that is not an alternate form, right ? Unless one of those is in a part of Scarlet/Violet I am not aware of. At any rate, I'd like to see one of those.

there are no ground/fairy types (that i'm aware of), and rock/fairly only has carbink/diancie. so it'd be interesting to see more pokemon with those types (despite me not being a huge fan of either ground nor rock types).

i also don't really like scovillain so more grass/fire type would be cool (but like... done better this time please). u_u

Dragon/Fairy. We only have Mega Altaria, which is quite 'cutesy'. Considering Pokémon uses more the Fae angles of Fairy, I'd like to see it just to see what type of twisted monstrosity they can make out of it.

To be honest there are a ton of type combos that I really want to see expanded on in the future, but I'll just name a couple of them here.

Dragon/Fairy could be really cool, could take a mythological angle with it since there's plenty of magical/mystic dragons in folklore to pick from.
Dark/Fairy and Dark/Fire I really want to see more of. Demonic looking Pokémon like Grimmsnarl and Houndoom I think are super underused as design ideas and I'd love to see that expanded on.
We recently got out first line of Electric/Fighting Pokémon in Paldea, and out of the recently repped type combos in Gen 9 I feel like this one has the most potential for unique reuse in the future.
I've been respecting the increasing number of Flying/Fighting types, with both Gen 8 and 9 giving up representation of this combo, but there can never be too many punchbirds.
Honestly though the number 1 for me though is Ghost/Electric, I wanna see more cool zappy ghosts ok? Feel like Game Freak could do a lot with the type combo,

Honestly though the number 1 for me though is Ghost/Electric, I wanna see more cool zappy ghosts ok? Feel like Game Freak could do a lot with the type combo,
Maybe a thunderstorm Pokémon? A mischievous cloud that zaps whatever and whoever it wants to cause chaos.

As a Bug enjoyer I want to see more cool bug types (cough cough like the still unused Bug/Dragon type...) Absolutely ADORED Lokix, our first dual Bug and Dark type and 'mons like Golisopod, Ribombee and Orbeetle easily became my favourites from their respective regions.

Dragon/Fairy. I can see so much potential for that, like cool meets elegant. It's a shame it's only been used once for mega altaria. I'd love to see it on a regular mon.

Fire/Fairy. How has this not been used yet? Seems like something we'd have by now. Would love to see it on a starter or something.

honestly i'd love to see just any dragon combinations. i really like dragon types specifically when combined with other things just because the concept is sick to me, so i'd love to see more dual dragon types of all kinds!

Back
Top Bottom