• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which was your favorite league?

favorite regional league

• Total voters
My top favorite leagues were Johto and this may seem abit unusual for others but Hoenn.

Johto league was culmination of long tern rivalry between Ash and Gary ever since their childhood. It showed how much Ash has progressed and learned ever since his rookie days through his own discovering of pokemon strategies and world. But also thanks to guidance and wisdom he was exposed to from his fellow mrentors and close friends eventually(Brock and Misty).

It had charge embroiled in itself, detailed structure of whole tournaments and many exciting, action packed battles.

Even qualify rounds like Ash battling guy with Furret increased suspense due to battle being hard fought and close keeping Ash on edge making it seem like it could go either way. With Ash having anything but easy path there. In essence Johto was portrayed as league where Ash wasn't portrayed as dominant force , but one of quite a few strong trainers who had shot of winning whole thing.

And because of equalized chances, whole format felt so much unpredictable being hard to guess how far Ash may come there,.

From Ash vs JImmy, Macy and later Harrison we witnessed to brilliant display of ingenious strategy and lot of willpower and flame in Ash eyes there.

BUT confrontation vs Gary was true treat delivering to us clash of titans. Being enjoyable to see this two rivals, but friends in a way as well go at full power vs each other.
Ash finally had chance to show and prove how days of Gary being always one step ahead were over going up vs someone who could match his analytical and smart instinct for pokemon battles. Blastoise was portrayed as battle hardened veteran and freightening power best proved in final battle vs Charizard easily being to this day imo among top 10 battles of entire show. Low odds Charizard had in that duel, whole intelligent idea of burning entire field turning it to Ash advantage delivefed such heat and excitement which we rarely get to witness in pokemon anime as far as battles go.

Sure it may had not been most flashiest, well organized tournament like Sinnoh league was. But Johto Silver conference told great story and delivered satisfying conclusion to fitrst step of Ash long joiurney of voyage to become pokeon master feeling like ending of certain pokemon era.

Hoenn is picked primarily due to this reasons.
First one was unique format of having two vs two battles in earlier rounds(like Ash going vs Dominic and 2 pokemon at same time to test his concentration, ability to handle situation under pressure and adapted battle style relying on choosing right pokemon to do teamwork when fighting together).

I don't recall this being case for any other league afterwards.

Another reason comes from simple fact of Ash having finally competent and evenly matched to his strength female pokemon trainer going against him. In form of Katie(she should had been his rival during whole AG). Her calculating and cunning battle style often changing pokempon or even willing to dacrifice her own like Mismagius with double edged moves to take down Ash problematic pokemon like Glalie revealed lot of skill, talent and creativity in way she used type advantage and terrain to outsmart her opponents.

We need more competent female battlers like her, being shame that she was first and only one so far good girl trainer(not counting his companions) which pushed Ash in corner giving him hard time. Bianca do not count, she was joke whose pseudo rivalry with Ash went nowhere.

But perhaps what impressed me the most from Ever Grande conference was how Ash proved right there how he has required strength in his pokemon, creativity and lot of adaptability to go all way through winning tournament. That was proved best in match against Tyson being only trainer in whole league conference to bring him down to knees with recognizable Meowth in boots winning by hair breath over Pikachu.

Whole battle was intensely close showing how trainer who became champion and Ash were of equal power and skill range. And if there was more luck on Ash side he would have easily won whole tournament.

In no other tournament of league format Ash was ever portrayed as that close to acclaim throne. In Sinnoh league despite higher result and highly well done matches(one vs Paul was brilliant), it was clear how Ash was not on Tobias level not having capacity and power to overcome whole team of legendaries(which he could had easily have implying question if Tobias even used his ace pokemon?). Regardless of Tobias being clear bull and deus ex machine introduced in last moment to stop sSh from going all way through.

In BW Ash result was disgraceful losing to trainer of questionable intellect and less creative strategy. While in Kalos as good as Ash was, Alain proved to be obstacle unsurmountable for Ash at least for now with crazily overpowered Charizard.Dont get me werong Charizard was heavily damaged, but battle didnpt felt so close like it did in final scene vs Tyson.

Now one could say how in Hoenn league Ash faced weaker competition and i would agree there, but taking whole picture in account Hoenn league was still only tournament where it felt like Ash had chance to overcome upocoming champion and defeat him being hence one of reasons of this while with less detailed and flaunted battles being among my favorites.

p.s. On side note I don't think Kanto league deserves so much dislike. Sure it had less visually attractive battles(given what they had on disposal in terms of animation and technology in 90's aklong with this being pokemon infant days , what people expected? It was good for its time). Granted Ash loss may have been disappointing, not so much loss itself but environment under which it occurred for today standards stupid reasons.

But message and story Ash first big league told teaching him valuable lesson of humility and to accept his mistakes(lack of training, taking whole thing easy ignoring Misty and Brock advices) was gratifying. And some classics like battle vs Mandi where Kingler was real beast or Ash battling Jeanette with Muk dominating entire battle was pretty cool. Despite its flaws Indigo Plateau all in all had lot of humorous moments and quite a few interesting battles.

Honestly i liked it more than travesty called Unova league.

p.s. On side note I don't think Kanto league deserves so much dislike. Sure it had less visually attractive battles(given what they had on disposal in terms of animation and technology in 90's aklong with this being pokemon infant days , what people expected? It was good for its time). Granted Ash loss may have been disappointing, not so much loss itself but environment under which it occurred for today standards stupid reasons.

But message and story Ash first big league told teaching him valuable lesson of humility and to accept his mistakes(lack of training, taking whole thing easy ignoring Misty and Brock advices) was gratifying. And some classics like battle vs Mandi where Kingler was real beast or Ash battling Jeanette with Muk dominating entire battle was pretty cool. Despite its flaws Indigo Plateau all in all had lot of humorous moments and quite a few interesting battles.

Honestly i liked it more than travesty called Unova league.

First of all, It had lots of filler. Imagine the Axew episode, multiplied by 3 and without interactions with the rivals. The battles with Kingler were nice, but they were made under the premise of dumb luck, and were undeserved. I understand that Ash needed to go to Johto, but his accomplishments in Kanto should have been celebrated in some way, we saw no remarkable moment of Squirtle and Pidgeotto. The episode with Jeanette is the only decent one.

My favorite is Johto, while the full battles weren't perfect it took itself seriously and we saw a wide range of battles and tension moments.

Also, the rule set of the Kanto league was absymal, to say the least. Any decent and prestigious league would atleast check why their competitor is arriving on a team Rocket balloon in a very bad state. Ash should've been allowed to heal his Pokemon before battle after explaining the Rocket fiasco. Also, in every league except Kanto, a sleeping Pokémon is in fact not eliminated straightaway.
Ash's battle vs Ritchie was the worst part of the league imo. Atleast Ritchie's character made up for it. I liked the battles vs Gary and Mandy (Also the Muk vs Bellsprout) but the Kanto league left much to be desired.

Last edited:
Also, the rule set of the Kanto league was absymal, to say the least. Any decent and prestigious league would atleast check why their competitor is arriving on a team Rocket balloon in a very bad state. Ash should've been allowed to heal his Pokemon before battle after explaining the Rocket fiasco. Also, in every league except Kanto, a sleeping Pokémon is in fact not eliminated straightaway.
Ash's battle vs Ritchie was the worst part of the league imo. Atleast Ritchie's character made up for it. I liked the battles vs Gary and Mandy (Also the Muk vs Bellsprout) but the Kanto league left much to be desired.
Kanto League had no battle against Gary, unless you mean the very little bit we saw of Gary's fourth round match where he lost.

First of all, It had lots of filler. Imagine the Axew episode, multiplied by 3 and without interactions with the rivals. The battles with Kingler were nice, but they were made under the premise of dumb luck, and were undeserved. I understand that Ash needed to go to Johto, but his accomplishments in Kanto should have been celebrated in some way, we saw no remarkable moment of Squirtle and Pidgeotto. The episode with Jeanette is the only decent one.

My favorite is Johto, while the full battles weren't perfect it took itself seriously and we saw a wide range of battles and tension moments.

Only real fillers where nothing important to plot happened was in episode "Friend in Deed!" to be fair. Every other episode related to league while having lot of comedy moments and dialogue going between main characters still felt important.

Ash win against Mandy was perhaps forced with writers exaggerating on evolution card and Kingler unrealistic domination(especially due to not being trained before that to begin with). But at end of the day duel was still fairly fun imo and given how this was first league writers wrote I can cut them lot of slack in such department.

This applies to questionable rulings of pokemon in Kanto league if falling asleep netting themselves instant disqualification too.

Was it dumb to make Squirtle lose like that contradicting completely games? Sure, not denying that.

But this can be either ascribed to writers themselves not being familiarized enough with game mechanics and rulings at that time doing mistake(which would explain why in every other league if fallen asleep pokemon was still in battle). Or like many other things characteristic for OS, especially Kanto this rule being one of artistic liberties writers on purpose decided to implement for Kanto league tournament. In order to set up new and perhaps in their mind original approach at that time applied there.

Now how outrageous is rule of pokemon being put to sleep meaning instant loss in Kanto depends on how much this bothers fans or not. To me while jarring, it wasn't that terrible to affect fond memories i had of Ash participation in first pokemon league in general.

And they did had celebration party for Ash accomplishments in Kanto league, it happened in episode "Pallet Party Panic!".

Don't get me wrong, I understand people drift they have with Indigo Plateau tournament. It did left lot more to be desired, some notable moment between Ash and rivals like Gary should had been included there.

But given this was very first pokemon league, writers and producers were a lot more inexperienced and at that time it wasn't even sure for how long this anime is going to last. Kanto leaguer in general wasn't "that bad" , at least for me. Enjoying in overall character chemistry, humorous situations(whether they were TR schemes, Ash and friends gluttonous moments being so mesmerized with everything there like they were on carnival), and cute moments of naivety going for Ash.

Whose overconfidence and arrogance resulted in Ash receiving some pretty nice character development from such experience.

Overall Kanto was for me second worst league, but it still had good things going for it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom