• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Which will end up being the Best GEN VI game? (speculate!)

Which games will end up being the best in Gen VI?

• X/Y

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • OR/AS

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • X2Y2/etc...

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
I know what you mean, but a game with no replayability cant really match a game with replay value.
but that's only if you're looking at it from a holistic, critical, and objective point of view. yes, perhaps XY is not as good of a game as ORAS because there's less post-game content. but even from a critical standpoint, XY fared better than ORAS (average of 87~88 for XY and 82~83 for ORAS). however, i personally prefer XY since i have had more fun playing it compared to ORAS. and i think that's what @Isaac Gravity; was ultimately trying to get at: you can make a case for just about every game being the best of their generation because it's so subjective.

I know what you mean, but a game with no replayability cant really match a game with replay value.
but that's only if you're looking at it from a holistic, critical, and objective point of view. yes, perhaps XY is not as good of a game as ORAS because there's less post-game content. but even from a critical standpoint, XY fared better than ORAS (average of 87~88 for XY and 82~83 for ORAS). however, i personally prefer XY since i have had more fun playing it compared to ORAS. and i think that's what @Isaac Gravity; was ultimately trying to get at: you can make a case for just about every game being the best of their generation because it's so subjective.

Thats absolutely true, but without postgame, a game is only fun for a while. After that, if it has no postgame, it just stops being "fun to pick up and use". And this is a big issue. It needs at least basic replayability, in order to GIVE YOU A REASON to re-explore certain areas or places. XY has enough reasons to pick it up and replay: Battle Maison, Chateau, restaurants, etc. So, although it has less features than, say, ORAS, there are enough of them to use the game. While a game like FR LG that was actually very good during the main game, becomes deserted in postgame. Thats an issue for it's fans.

Thats absolutely true, but without postgame, a game is only fun for a while. After that, if it has no postgame, it just stops being "fun to pick up and use". And this is a big issue. It needs at least basic replayability, in order to GIVE YOU A REASON to re-explore certain areas or places. XY has enough reasons to pick it up and replay: Battle Maison, Chateau, restaurants, etc. So, although it has less features than, say, ORAS, there are enough of them to use the game. While a game like FR LG that was actually very good during the main game, becomes deserted in postgame. Thats an issue for it's fans.

True, but that, I suppose, is when Masuda's Law would actually become somewhat relevant. Busy people don't need a complex post-game, so rudimentary stuff like the Maison and the restaurants would suffice for the folks who have blogging and Netflix and phone apps to be doing.

Now, that doesn't do people like you or me any good, but therein lies the subjectivity.

Although, I cannot truthfully say that I do not have fun when I play a Gen VI game. They may not fully be what I want them to be, but they get the job done. And while I may be critical of some of their decisions and their philosophy regarding what players want, I can also recognize that many other people have actually been pretty happy with what we have received over these last two years.

Last edited:

True, but that, I suppose, is when Masuda's Law would actually become somewhat relevant. Busy people don't need a complex post-game, so rudimentary stuff like the Maison and the restaurants would suffice for the folks who have blogging and Netflix and phone apps to be doing.

Now, that doesn't do people like you or me any good, but therein lies the subjectivity.

Although, I cannot truthfully say that I do not have fun when I play a Gen VI game. They may not fully be what I want them to be, but they get the job done. And while I may be critical of some of their decisions and their philosophy regarding what players want, I can also recognize that many other people have actually been pretty happy with what we have received over these last two years.

You know what the worst part of Masuda´s law is though? It´s that, once you try Gen VI, it´s much harder to go back to a previous generation. Because Gen VI improves VASTLY upon everything EXCEPT what´s the most relevant: content and post- game content. For instance, when trying to go back playing an other gen, the graphics seem_shittier than they actually are, everything seems more "rudimental" and a personal issue I find is, it´s very difficult to adjust yourself to the four- direction pad. After X,i t was ok, but when you try ORAS´s free walking and running, you don´t feel like downgrading from that...

Basically, Gen 6 really makes everything better, except what really matters: the amount of content. I mean ORAS is actually OK in content (except the lack of gym rematches it´s got pretty much everything else it needs), but the massive content of HGSS or B2W2...I don´t know if we'll ever have a content- loaded game like those in future installments. We could be recieving just that with Z... but we don´t know yet and Masuda´s words are contradictory.

However, I´m starting to think that maybe, the current minimalist approach of GF might be just due to the fact that the new GRAPHICS take more of their designing time. And they can´t really recognize it to the fans.

Last edited:
You know what the worst part of Masuda´s law is though? It´s that, once you try Gen VI, it´s much harder to go back to a previous generation. Because Gen VI improves VASTLY upon everything EXCEPT what´s the most relevant: content and post- game content. For instance, when trying to go back playing an other gen, the graphics seem_shittier than they actually are, everything seems more "rudimental" and a personal issue I find is, it´s very difficult to adjust yourself to the four- direction pad. After X,i t was ok, but when you try ORAS´s free walking and running, you don´t feel like downgrading from that...

I actually do agree with you on that. It is hard for me to go back to the older games; even the BW games which are by far my favorites, and only one generation removed from the current one.

On the flip-side, the type of player that they are currently catering to are probably not the types to go back and replay their older, now-obsolete games. So that certainly isn't much of a concern to them (and rightfully so, I think - the old games cannot realistically stay relevant for very long once the series moves on, so the company has no incentive to care about them when it comes time to move forward), although the ideal solution to that would be, as you say, to improve the content of the current games in addition to upgrading the gameplay and the visuals. But that can be trickier to manage.

Basically, Gen 6 really makes everything better, except what really matters: the amount of content. I mean ORAS is actually OK in content (except the lack of gym rematches it´s got pretty much everything else it needs), but the massive content of HGSS or B2W2...I don´t know if we'll ever have a content- loaded game like those in future installments. We could be recieving just that with Z... but we don´t know yet and Masuda´s words are contradictory.

Well, "what really matters" in a Pokémon game is subjective, as we have been saying. For instance, they have been focusing quite a bit on the competitive aspect, this Gen. The Exp. Share, Horde Battles, Super Training, the Hatching O-Power, the Destiny Knot, and making Hidden Abilities more accessible - somebody who is more into competitive play would probably appreciate those on a much deeper level than somebody like me, who has hardly thrown a glance at competitive.

Of course, it doesn't really have to be an either-or scenario, and making a more balanced offering that satisfies the widest variety of players is the aforementioned ideal that I think they should strive for. I don't mind them giving the competitive players some due improvements, but I would of course like something for myself as well, even if I do recognize their effort and am still broadly pleased with the game.

To put it one way, while a soup is certainly sufficient for dinner, and even though I would prefer a sandwich - both of them together would make me the fullest.

However, I´m starting to think that maybe, the current minimalist approach of GF might be just due to the fact that the new GRAPHICS take more of their designing time. And they can´t really recognize it to the fans.

I have indeed said before that I suspect the mechanical overhauls to have been, at the very least, complicit in the lack of substantive content, if not directly responsible. They may just not want to admit that.

Last edited:
And about no trainer customisation, I think generally its an ok improvement, but it would have made no sense to have it in a remake. It would almost be considered an offense by most Gen 3 fans like myself.

The "It's a remake, it wouldn't make sense to include it" logic doesn't make sense. Because then why were Super Training and Pokémon-Amie were included? Why was Mega Evolution included? Horde Battles? The purpose of a remake is to update the old games to the modern standard. If we can have those Gen VI features included in ORAS without it seeming "offensive" (which is an absurdly extreme reaction to an optional feature), then why can we arbitrarily not have customization?

Remake aside, I just hope they dont get away customization in the next generations. GF are triyng to make it a feature unique to generetion 6, different from mega evolutions that will be added in every game because it's a new mechanic.

But i think it's a dumb thing exclude customization of standard games. The same is for challange mode, gym rematches and Pokemom Amie.

Wait... So amie could be removed too? Lol I thought it was going to be a permanent thing.

No, you are right. Amie was in hoenn so probably will not be removed.
At least i hope it turn in a permanent feature. They dont hav any excuse to exclude it.

Yes, exactly, they kept Amie cause they are keeping it, but then, is this a hint that custmisation will stay Kalos exclusive?

Seems that.
But nothing says this is an immutable position.
I hope they revise this criterion of putting customization as exclusive feature of the sixth generation.

I think they got rid of customisation because it wasn't in the originals. For example in FRLG you couldnt plant berries but you could again in gen 4.

Personally I think the next games may be the best in the gen, because they are the final installment, and are likely to feel more complete and have the best features, as well as all megas and possibly even some thing like the BF.

However, I was really pleased with ORAS, i was not a fan of the original ruby/sapphire, but ORAS were really great games. For me, they beat XY by miles.
But Amie and other features wasnt in the originals, and was there.
Maybe they didnt thought necessary to customize May and Brendan because they are old characters whose design is already defined. But Serena and Calem has also their official looks, so I dont think that explains much.

I was pleased with how XY games were done but was disappointed by ORAS games. I hope the next games could make up for ORAS but I have some doubt. In my view at the moment, XY are the best so far and I await for the next games to see if they are better or worse.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom