• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Whiskey and Cigars, Coffee and Cigarettes - The Offical Vice thread.

Reaction score
Ahoy-hoy. This is a thread to discuss our vices, purely legal ones that is. What do you partake in, how often, why do you, how significantly shorter is your lifespan, you know, all the fun questions.

I smoke now and then, Marlboro. Shit's relaxing. Nothing quite like a wee smoke in the garden whilst your in between drinks.

And, as I'm Scots-Ukrainian-Irish, I drink just a bit. Currently quite into JD & 7up, goes down smoother than a baby's backside. Like a beer now and then, and the odd Strongbow too. When I'm out tends to be ciders, shots, whisky and the odd Vodka Lemonade. Nothing too fancy. Quite enjoy jagerbombs, despite how awful they are.

I used to drink a lot back in my party days but I rarely drink now unless I'm at a social event. I really don't have many vices. There is vanity and lust to a certain degree I guess idk. I don't smoke at all.

With the stipulation of legality, this post might end up being much shorter than it was in my head... ;)

I don't drink as often as I used to, because I find I'm generally less stressed (but somehow more busy) these days. I'll still enjoy it from time to time though. If I'm at a party or bar, I'll partake in group shots (though nowadays that happens every 2-3 months at best). Other than that, I stick almost exclusively to craft beer. Yep, I'm sure everyone knows one of those "craft beer guys"...though I won't be obnoxious about your beer choices, I'll certainly offer you some of mine. I aim to try new breweries and brews as frequently as I can, so I'm always looking to spread the cheer if I come across a new great flavor. If I see an IPA I haven't tried before, I can't resist. If for some reason a suitable craft brew isn't available, I generally fall back to ciders.

Never got in to cigars or cigarettes. I can count the number of times I've tried either of them on my fingers. Not only did they not really do it for me, I'd say the long term health risks of light smoking would end up being more pronounced than those of light drinking. With those factors in mind, it's a no-brainer for me.

I've had a tumultuous history with coffee. :p I used to drink a ton, but then swore it off completely because the caffeine spikes and crashes made me moody and irritable. As of a few months ago, though, I'm now in a place of employment where we have industrial coffee machines piped directly into the hot water supply, and there's always a pot on...it's a bit hard to resist. I've found that sticking to one cup a day can be helpful without many negatives (besides the increased frequency of bathroom trips). On occasion I've indulged in a second cup, and it's left me physically uncomfortable, jittery, and irritable, so I'm done doing that too. Everything in moderation...

Last edited:
I don't like the taste of alcohol so I usually don't drink. When I do (I drink Dos Equis?) it's usually something with vodka and chocolate in it. I do like Bailey's but I don't really count that as alcohol (although dad has told me it has a higher alcohol content than wine or something? I dunno). I especially don't like rum, beer, or wine because of the bitter flavours, so alcohol has never been a vice of mine (growing up in the DR rum was the most popular alcohol there).

I started smoking Marlboro reds when I was 16. I never got addicted and I sort of quit I don't know, maybe ten years ago? I say sort of quit because I really just got too lazy to buy another pack. If someone occasionally let me bum a cig then I'd smoke one but I never really needed one. My friend recently got me into e-cigs which is cool cause they don't have all those toxic chemicals that cause cancer (as far as I know), but even that I don't smoke that often. I generally forget I even have them. ^^;; Cigs do tend to give me a bit of a buzz, although e-cigs take much longer to get there for me, but that's why I do it~

As for caffeine, it literally does absolutely nothing to me except make my blood pressure shoot way up (hurray for being old~). I can literally drink four cans of Monster in a day and have zero problems sleeping through the night. I do really like Monster for some reason though so maybe that's a vice. I keep buying them even though I know they do absolutely nothing to keep me awake.

It's really down to just coffee for me now. I'd like to break my caffeine addiction, but it's just not worth the inevitable drop in productivity.

I don't drink much at all, for several reasons. In fact I'm pretty sure that everyone at the pub I work at drinks more in a week than I do in a year. Which is something of a problem, because I didn't know what the hell a jaegerbomb was until last week

I don't smoke at all. I blame growing up in a family with a cigarette problem for showing me first hand how nasty that stuff is. I don't drink coffee, largely because I'm too lazy to make it. I don't drink alcohol very often, since the taste can be a real put-off. When I do drink, however, it's generally going to be wine. What can I say? Sometimes a cold glass of wine hits the spot. I can't drink often anyway, since it'd have unfortunate interactions with some of the medication I take. (It doesn't go well with anti-depressants. Duh.)

Uh... the worse thing I partake in is black caffeinated tea, which is basically like coffee. That's only on rare occasions because whilst caffeine may wake me up, it has this curious effect of waking me up TOO much, and leaving me a nervous wreck. I need to keep a cap on that. Can't even drink soda because I have some kind of eternal stomach hernia that makes fizziness quite painful. I'm such an exciting bad girl, aren't I?

Last edited:
  • Staff
because I didn't know what the hell a jaegerbomb was until last week
I don't know half the shit I try. No idea what's in a skittlebomb, but I do quite like them when you get crazy.

As for coffee/tea, I don't care for either. I feel like if I added much more sugar, I'm just making it far more unhealthy for me. I drink too much fizzy drinks, well, it's basically only Coca Cola these days, and I would say I'm addicted to them. The longest I've gone without Coke is like 2 and a half days.

I could realistically drop any of my other vices easier than I could Coke, that's pretty much been my drug of my choice since I was like 10. Although alcomahol is taking it over a little.

It's really down to just coffee for me now. I'd like to break my caffeine addiction, but it's just not worth the inevitable drop in productivity.

I don't drink much at all, for several reasons. In fact I'm pretty sure that everyone at the pub I work at drinks more in a week than I do in a year. Which is something of a problem, because I didn't know what the hell a jaegerbomb was until last week

When I worked in a bar, I researched every drink I could to try and increase my skills.

Very rarely drink. If I do its almost always beer. I enjoy pretty much all beers except for IPA.

I drink a ton of coffee. At first I only drank it occasionally but since I've cut back my soda intake to almost nothing I've quadrupled my coffee intake.

Fair warning: the first few sentences here are going to be very boring, because I really don't have a lot of interesting vices compared to some of you guys.

Smoking? Was never really interested in it.
Drinking? I've considered it a few times, but some of my family members have had a history of alcohol problems, so I've pretty much decided to not even touch that stuff, just in case.
Coffee? Never liked it (except for the smell of coffee, strangely enough).

Yeah, boring. So what I am even doing here, then? What are my vices, exactly? They are...

...sugar and carbohydrates.

Yes, really... but let me explain. I love sugar- and carb-filled foods with a passion. I know that they're not particularly good for me and that I should really eat those types of things in moderation, but a part of me doesn't really care, because I enjoy them too much. Things like juice, carbonated drinks, pasta, snacks of all types, and bread (did I mention bread?) are a big part of my diet and always have been, to the point where it's somewhat hard to imagine life without a lot of them (especially the latter three). And when I was in college especially, I had the opportunity to indulge in all of these things... and I took full advantage of that opportunity. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner consisted largely of bagels, a sandwich, and another sandwich, respectively, all of which were usually accompanied by a sugary drink, a sugary snack, or both. Heck, even the relatively healthier portions of my college diet - like rice and beans - still had lots of carbohydrates - and therefore sugar - in them, which meant that no matter what I did, there was little escape from those things in some form. And aside from lacking the money to indulge as heavily as I once did, things haven't gotten much better post-college, with juice, soda, pasta, snacks, and bread being things that I still consume in pretty large amounts. So yeah, as unconventional as they may sound, I'd definitely consider sugar and carbohydrates to be my main vices... and ones that won't be dropped easily, at that.

(That said, there's actually a plus to my very arguably unhealthy love for sugary things... it means that I really, really like eating fruit. And not even fruit with sugar sprinkled on top or anything like that, but just plain old fruit with no frills. I suppose that's a good thing, although it doesn't mean that I don't often combine them with something not so healthy like, say, ice cream, pudding, or cake, so fruit can actually be somewhat of a vice, too, believe it or not. Also, I find that it's easier to me to not indulge when I don't actually have sugary foods in the house, and given that it's actually pretty easy for me to resist some - but not all - of those types of items in the store, there may actually be some hope for me, haha.)

I don't smoke or drink (I still have to wait a few years before I can legally drink alcohol), but I do like coffee and usually drink it once or twice a day. I like a lot of cream and sugar in my coffee too.

I don't eat the healthiest because even though I like fruits and vegetables, I like a lot of fatty foods too. In the dining hall at my college there are almost always cheeseburgers and french fries and I get tempted to eat them. I used to not get a lot of exercise either, but lately I think Pokemon Go has been helping with that.

And another vice is that sometimes I sleep longer than I probably should (like 12 hours or more).

If we're factoring diet, I have some issues there too. .w. While my diet has improved a lot in recent years, I still have a huge weakness for pizza and sweets.

Smoke : Yes
Drink : Yes
Coffee : Yes
Drugs : No

I smoke Marlboro Methyl light, I started on Reds but I can't do that anymore. I drink liquor, mostly vodka and Jager. I have a pot of black coffee every day no mater what. I don't do drugs anymore. But boy do I miss them.

Only things I really do are alcohol and coffee. Never tried a cig and not sure if I ever will.

I only drink when I'm out at parties and usually I stick to ciders.

I sometimes have a beer or a Mike's Hard Lemonade. I will have the occasional cocktail as well but imbibing in hard liquor is a rarity for me. I am, however, a pretty hardcore coffee drinker and I love me some chocolate. But those are about the worst of my vices.
If we're factoring diet, I have some issues there too. .w. While my diet has improved a lot in recent years, I still have a huge weakness for pizza and sweets.
I'm with you there. Pizza is like my personal kryptonite.

I am coming to the conclusion that coffee is just not doing it for me anymore. It is actually like a pain to drink it now but I still do because I need it. :v

For alcohol, I just don't really enjoy most of it, but I'm not totally against it. A few other things I consider guilty pleasures, but nothing really notable.

I'm not smoking and am completely against the idea of ever doing so.

I drink rarely, only for social reasons. I enjoy it but not to the point I see any reason overdoing it, especially when I know the risks.

Coffee is my only vice, but I don't really consider it a vice; it tastes well enough but I don't love it. I see it more as a useful tool, but one that I should not overuse, because it'll just become a necessity that won't be really helping me anymore.

I don't smoke, and I don't drink coffee or any form of caffeine anymore (I used to rely on caffeine to get through the day, now I just fall asleep at work instead. Everybody's happier.)

I do drink, though. I enjoy most whiskies, including scotch, bourbon, rye, and a really good Japanese whiskey that a friend of the family introduced me to.
When I'm sick, I put either a little Amaretto or a little Jim Beam into my tea. Sometimes, I do that even if I'm not sick.
I also like microbrewed beers like New Glarus.

As for how often I drink, not nearly as often as I used to (it having been a daily occurrance my senior year of college), but I do drink a lot during my Sabbath and holidays. I'm officially part of my synagogue's Kiddush Club, which is those of us who head straight to the booze table after prayers have concluded.

Other vices:
I am addicted to Reese's peanut butter cups. My girlfriend once got me two half pound cup Reese's for my birthday. I ate them both in one sitting. o_O
I only eat Reese's Puffs cereal, and will often go to the store to pick up large bags of Reese's.

Pizza: only from one specific restaurant, but I will gobble down nearly an entire large pie on my own, and I'm lactose intolerant.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom