• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

White/Black = Terrible Names?

New Bulbanews article months from now? "Black and White versions to be renamed 'African-American' and 'Pale' versions in the US"

But seriously, I like the names. I dunno why but they just seem like Pokémon sort of names. I guess because they're the obvious opposite colours. Anyways, aren't the names usually the english word in Japan? Like HGSS were called 'Heart Gold' and 'Soul Silver', not Japanese names meaning the same? Because if that's true, the names aren't that simple and boring at all. They're foreign and interesting.

"Pokketto Monsuta Kokoro Gin" and "Pokketto Monsuta Tamashii Rin" wouldn't have sounded as awesome as "Pokketto Munsuta Haruto Gorudo" and "Souru Siruba".

I really like them, I think they're good names.

I find the names rather...bland. That's because I find the colors black and white rather bland by themselves.

I think Game Freak picked Black and White because you need to think about what it means. It's open to interpretation. Do you see yin and yang or two forces duking it out? Maybe it means returning to the "black and white" roots of the series. Maybe it means a rebirth - start with colors, then in the next gen they are named with precious metals, and then gems.

They aren't bad names, you just gotta think about it a little bit.

Last edited:
LeafGreen didn't become WaterBlue because, among other reasons, GameFreak didn't want two colours that opposed each other

Everyone seems to forget that green is the opposite of red, not blue. The color wheel is always shunned :<

I actually like the names. Why do black and white always have to be at a conflict? I think more of yin and yang. They're also nice and simple, and I like that.

They seemed very bland and boring to me at first, but... Yin yang. I'm hoping for some really awesome mascots, Nintendo!

Black and White seem so.... Bland to put as a Pokemon Version title, but, whatever.

At first I was openly opposed, but Black and White is growing on me. I feel like this is going to be a "reboot" of some sort for naming the games. Though, I still would have liked something along the lines of Melanoid and Ivory for titles, which are synonyms for Black and White.

At first I was openly opposed, but Black and White is growing on me. I feel like this is going to be a "reboot" of some sort for naming the games. Though, I still would have liked something along the lines of Melanoid and Ivory for titles, which are synonyms for Black and White.

I guess other people wanted "Pokemon Sandstone and Cubic Zirconium Version" instead of, you know, actual colors.

Well, I liked the way they were going with gemstones. Honestly, I've liked all the names so far. Going simple, or going deep, works for me either way.

All the pokemon games have crap names. Putting the names of metals or precious stones after the word 'Pokemon' didn't make the titles any better. And honestly...as if it even matters. The only reason they're there in the first place is so they can sell 3 versions of the same game.

The Pokemon Vicious Cycle:

New game names announced ---> people bitch about the names ---> game comes out in Japan ---> people learn about features and shut up ---> game comes out in the US/EU ---> New game names gets announced ---> the bitching starts all over again.

tl;dr: It's just names. the names don't effect the games whatsoever. Just stop bitching about it and move on. (I know it really wasn't that long, but whatever)

1) Look back at Junichi Masuda's blog around the release of FRLG. He said LeafGreen didn't become WaterBlue because, among other reasons, GameFreak didn't want two colours that opposed each other, symbolising conflict, as the world was in a pretty war-torn state back then. So now, they've chosen the two most prominent polar opposites.

Fire Burns Leaf..so they are opposite, Blue was a third version, R/G were the originals thats why they were remade as there was two of them, not blue only one and there wasn't time to remake blue because of Emerald and besides, they didn't have to remake blue because it wasn't much different than R/G besides a few graphical updates and so on.

Are you really sure war had anything to do with it? Someone I finding that a little hard to believe

Black and white are the main colours of the Yin and Yang symbol, which isn't a conflict between two forces but shows two opposites that are part of a larger whole. If anything they've just subverted that notion.

You could be right here, maybe what the names are for. Either way they are simple name and if they are good as we hope, does it really matter? They are not stuipd names or names that we would easily forget are they?

The Pokemon Vicious Cycle:

New game names announced ---> people bitch about the names ---> game comes out in Japan ---> people learn about features and shut up ---> game comes out in the US/EU ---> New game names gets announced ---> the bitching starts all over again.

tl;dr: It's just names. the names don't effect the games whatsoever. Just stop bitching about it and move on. (I know it really wasn't that long, but whatever)
14soit.png

Replace the word Sonic with Pokémon

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom