• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

who beats Whitney (and her Miltank) first time?

RTA fan

Sir RTA fan of Wikia
Reaction score
if you're able to, or if you have come close on your first try, post your strategy up on here.
i can read Whitney like a book. i always pick Chikorita so that i can evolve it into Bayleef, i then teach Bayleef Reflect, which halves damage taken from physical moves, so Miltank can't do a thing (or much). then make them use their lum berry, then poison them after they use it. it works every time for me. always make sure you have a back-up though, or else you'll go down hard...

Last edited:
I honestly don't remember if I did or not (but I most likely did not). Pokémon Gold was my first game and I first played that 10+ years ago.

On Soul Silver, I beat her first time. My Hoothoot made everything sleep with Hypnosis, and then Quilava kicked in and finished them off with Flame Wheel.

Not extremely reliable, but it worked for me :)

I've only battled her in HeartGold, but it was still a piece of cake. I don't remember what strategy I used, but I do remember I beat her on my first try. Knowing myself though, I probably just spammed a fighting move.

I didn't when I first played, way back when GS first came out, because I chose Cyndaquil and really knew next to nothing about type matchups or what moves Miltank would have. Rollout killed Cynda and my Pidgeotto pretty quick.
I learned my lesson after that though, and in ALL my later battles against her I came prepared with a fighting type like Machop.
Funny how she is the most memorable leader because of that.

I lost 30+ times to her -_- and had to have my cousin beat her in the end. No strategies from me lol. I haven't had a losing streak to anyone like that since :V.

I might have in HG (was packing Protect for this reason), but definitely not in the original Gold. That cow's Rollout quite the force to be reckoned with.

Yep, when I pick Chikorita it's not too hard to beat her 1st time. Chuck on the other hand... :banghead:

do you let chuck use focus punch? if yes, then that's why he annoys you.

I beat Whitney in Soulsilver the first time, but that was probably just because I had already heard about how hard she was and prepared for it. I was also kind of lucky because I traded for the Machop and it ended up being female (so Miltank couldn't use attract on it). Clair, Chuck, and Bugsy gave me more trouble the first time.

I also beat Whitney when I replayed Soulsilver by using strategy. I had Bayleef and Gastly on my team (they were a bit overlevelled because I wasn't using anything else yet :embarass:). I think I used reflect first, then used poisonpowder and curse, and kept attacking Miltank so that it would lose health faster than it could heal. I used a similar strategy on Clair's Kingdra (without being overlevelled) and it still worked pretty well.

I know the strategies that are heard most often (And the ones that Chuggaaconroy mentioned in his Crystal LP) are buying the X items at the Dept. Store and trading for the Machop (also in the Dept. Store), but I found two new strategies, one for Gen. II and one for HGSS: For Gen. II, catch a Snubbull. It'll know Charm, and will most likely be female due to the gender ratios. Since it's female, it'll be immune to Miltank's Attract, and using Charm will severely nerf Rollout and Stomp.

For HG/SS, you'll have to use the Pokéwalker:
Step 1: trade a Jirachi into the game so you have access to the Night Sky's Edge Pokéwalker route.
Step 2: Keep using the Dowsing function at Night Sky's Edge to collect Stardusts and Pearls (or Star Pieces and Rare Bones, if you get lucky enough).
Step 3: Go to the Refreshing Field Pokéwalker route and catch a Kangaskhan.
Step 4: Sell the items you got from Night Sky's Edge and buy a Focus Blast TM.
Step 5: Teach Focus Blast to Kangaskhan
Step 6: Go to the Goldenrod Gym and take advantage of Miltank's sub-par Special Defense by spamming Focus Blast until it goes down.

The first EVER time I didn't but on HG and SS I did.

On HG, I took out her first guys and then sacrificed two of my Pokemon spamming smokescreen and sand attack and then the rest took it out whilst she missed everything and was probably screaming hax.

I first battled her in Gold/Silver and I had no idea that she was supposed to be that difficult. I'm not trying to show off because there have been trainers others have probably found easy that I struggled with more, but I didn't even know about Whitney being that tough to beat until I joined this forum. I don't recall what my strategy was or how many attempts it took me (my strategy in those days was just to spam powerful attacks and most of the strategy I kept in mind had to do with the type table but that was it).

EVERYONE should WIN on their FIRST TRY. They give you the means to do it. The TM for Dig is available when you get to the gym, how much more obvious do they have to be?

You don't want to die to Rollout? Find a pokemon that you can teach Dig, and have another pokemon with any kind of status move. Then you win. The end.

I believe I only beat her once on my first try, with Croconaw, getting lucky avoiding the infatuation. No real strategy, unfortunately. Croconaw just wasn't feeling flirty that day.

Yep, she was easy. I beated her on my first try in Silver. Just get yourself a female Machop, and her Rollout would be not very effective, and her Attract won't have any effect. Getting a Graveler against Rollout also helped, and it wasn't much of an effort to raise it, because I needed it for Falkner and Bugsy anyway.

Thanking about it now, most of the Johto Gym Leaders weren't too hard. I just had to keep in mind of the type (dis)advantages, and match my Pokémon levels to theirs and most were fine. Elesa in BW is what I would consider hard; the mons and moves available were ineffective (or had crippling flaws), and the ones which would have been better suited were only made available after the gym battle.

I didn't do it, but there's this Machop they trade you in the Dep. Store you can use.

I usually do, I find Morty to be much more of a problem (at least in the remakes).

Don't think I ever have lol.

I HATE THAT COW, and I'm not talking about her Miltank!

The Problem was not Milktank's physical power for my 3 losses in row it was Attract which made my all male team lovesic

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom