• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who do you think is responsible for the "so i herd u liek mudkipz" meme?

Who do you blame for the Mudkip meme?

• Matsumisu Hidaka

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The writers of that episode

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The person who made up the meme

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • The Internet

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

John Understands

Somalian Anarchy Leader!
Reaction score
As you know, the famous yet boring meme, "so i herd you liek mudkipz" was a meme taken from that episode when Brock got that Mudkip in AG. It lead to lots of stuff, including my most hated, the voting poll and Funnyjunk that made Mudkip second on the poll. My question....who to blame?

I blame the person who made it up. If it was not for him/her, then all this would have not happened.

A meme isn't a meme when it's made up, that's the thing. It becomes a meme when people circulate it and make it huge by reposting it everywhere. If that person had made the joke and then no one ever mentioned it ever again, do you think it would be known? If that person hadn't made it up, I'm sure one of the millions of people that are on the internet would have thought of it and it would've come up anyway.

It apparently originates from a Mudkip fan club on DeviantArt, whose motto was "So I herd u liek mudkipz?"- It may also been their welcoming to their new members, but I'm not sure...

But for its popularity? Almost anyone can be responible for that.

It became known all over dA for those who were at April Fools...2009 I believe. D: For the whole day everyone's icons was a Mudkip that said "so i herd you liek Mudkipz?" So I think it might have gotten started, and/or gotten much bigger, on deviantART.

It became known all over dA for those who were at April Fools...2009 I believe. D: For the whole day everyone's icons was a Mudkip that said "so i herd you liek Mudkipz?" So I think it might have gotten started, and/or gotten much bigger, on deviantART.

Yeah, that's basically it.

But for the sake of fun, I'll blame Bulbagarden. Just because there's nothing stopping me.

Actually, no, it didn't come from DeviantArt. DeviantArt may have helped popularize it, but it originated from a copypasta on 4chan. As does most everything.

I would link it, but as it contains nsfw imagery and language, I'd rather not.

4chan/DA are the two sites that popularized it, but pretty much everywhere I go online I see someone quoting it. The Internet, like most memes, is the main driving force behind it.

This video kinda explains things, even though what started it isn't concrete:
[video=youtube;9kWqFvqnA6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kWqFvqnA6c[/video]

The internet. Plain and simple. As it did with Can't Hug Every Cat, planking, vlogging, and pretty much everything else important that we enjoy here on the web. :]

It started at deviantART apparently according to some online sources but I would think 4chan made it much more popular. So, The Internet. Now trainers look like trolls if they have a level 100 Mudkip... lol

I heard it was started by some bullies in a middle school or someplace who taunted a kid who liked Pokemon by saying "so I heard you like Mudkips". Then people on the Internet corrupted it as they do, and that made the modern-day spelling of the phrase. That's what I've heard. I think it would qualify as an "urban legend".

Just for clearing out my ignorance, are people trying to be salacious when they use this meme?

I do know the propagator is DeviantArt during April Fool (which encouraged a lot of Mudkip fanart, I must add), but the perpetrator is hard to say, so I guess 4chan is the likely candidate.

In any case, another new thing to be annoyed at the internet is hardly productive, although some people just love these stuff, I guess.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom