• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

Which was more annoying?

• No need to worry!

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • You're such a kid!

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Both were equally annoying

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • I can think of an even more annoying catchphrase

Votes: 46 17.2%

• Total voters
In the dub both bother the hell out of me. Watching raw doesn't bother me at all though, probably since it's in a language I don't understand. Though daijoubu I hear other places so it's sorta helpful.

I wasn't speaking of her catchphrase, "Your such a kid". I was referring to Iris' "Daijoubou?" which translates to "Are you Okay?"

Iris' reasons for saying it are Pure Tauros therefore it is far more annoying

Iris's reasons for asking someone if they're okay are pure bull? Am I missing something here?

Dawn's "No need to worry" annoys me far more than "You're such a kid," btw. Iris is just joking around and doesn't mean anything by it. It's cute. When Dawn says hers, it's just so grating. The saying itself is really irritating because it's so unnecessary, and combined with the way Dawn's VA says it...I just find it really obnoxious.

Iris's reasons for asking someone if they're okay are pure bull? Am I missing something here?

Dawn's "No need to worry" annoys me far more than "You're such a kid," btw. Iris is just joking around and doesn't mean anything by it. It's cute. When Dawn says hers, it's just so grating. The saying itself is really irritating because it's so unnecessary, and combined with the way Dawn's VA says it...I just find it really obnoxious.

How is striving for Independence and trying not to trouble your friends obnoxious? AM I missing something? How are you sure Iris isn't serious? She's serious enough to irritate me.

How is striving for Independence and trying not to trouble your friends obnoxious? AM I missing something? How are you sure Iris isn't serious? She's serious enough to irritate me.

I just find it obnoxious personally. I can't speak for everyone, it's just that Dawn's VA made it sound really irritating to me, and just the fact that she had to keep saying it got on my nerves.

I think it's pretty obvious Iris isn't being serious. It's in her character. She's a sweet girl with a tendency to tease people, and Ash just so happens to be the person she likes teasing. That's all it is. She's playing around. I think Ash would act much more offended by it if Iris were being serious.

No? thats just her being a karma houndini and smug.

Besides teasing someone about a weakness implies there is a weakness thus it is rude behavior. She is not sweet to me and she has the far more obnoxious VA IMO.

Striving for Independence and trying not to trouble your friends although is a weakness it's the best weakness to have because it shows you want to better one's self and you care about others.

I admit I would be someone to say both but the context Iris has is complete Tauros with a side of chill fries thus it is aggravating. But then again I'm sensitive like that.

No? thats just her being a karma houndini and smug.

Besides teasing someone about a weakness implies there is a weakness thus it is rude behavior. She is not sweet to me and she has the far more obnoxious VA IMO.

Striving for Independence and trying not to trouble your friends although is a weakness it's the best weakness to have because it shows you want to better one's self and you care about others.

I admit I would be someone to say both but the context Iris has is complete Tauros with a side of chill fries thus it is aggravating. But then again I'm sensitive like that.

Hm. at times like this, I'm glad I don't bother with the dub. I don't know what Dawn even sounds like...nor do I know what dub Iris sounds like. For the original, I don't find either catchphrase annoying as I've never even thought twice about them, and find Iris' "Kodomo ne" amusing and funny because of how ironic it is that she says it when she's a kid herself. I've always liked ironic humor.

In the beginning Iris' irritated me because she would call out Ash just because he didn't know about things from a region he's visiting for the first time. Now I kind of find it funny, mainly because she doesn't just say that about Ash now.

Dawn's annoys me only because of the way she says it. She raises her pitch in the middle of it and it just irritates me.

I can tolerate "daijoubu" and "kodomo ne" a lot more than "no need to worry" and "what a kid" though.

Hm. at times like this, I'm glad I don't bother with the dub. I don't know what Dawn even sounds like...nor do I know what dub Iris sounds like. For the original, I don't find either catchphrase annoying as I've never even thought twice about them, and find Iris' "Kodomo ne" amusing and funny because of how ironic it is that she says it when she's a kid herself. I've always liked ironic humor.
Iris' Japanese VA annoys me just as much

Last edited:
I don't see why Iris' is considered annoying when it's the truth. This is not DP Ash, he does act like a kid again.

Dawn's catch phrase seemed like one of those many attempts to try to differentiate Dawn from May. Except after a while it became pointless because it was just one of those gimmicks associated with the character.

I don't find either of them annoying, but Iris' isn't uncalled for.

It may be technically true, but considering this series is in continuity with those of the past, Ash's behavior in general for BW is highly inconsistent with how he behaved not so long ago pre-BW. This is where I fault the writing rather than Ash himself for some of his actions; there's just no logical signs of progression from his DP persona even though there ought to be. I feel like the writing staff is purposely making Ash more incompetent than he should be just so Iris can have more "excuses" to call him a kid. Because honestly, if BW Ash was just the same as DP Ash, I believe Iris would be hard-pressed to use her catchphrase on him. That's excluding his cluelessness to Unova as a foreigner, of course, which he would have even with his DP personality consistent because much of his behavior in the beginning is akin to how foreigners actually act when they're on vacation (which Ash initially was). But of course, calling Ash a kid because he's a foreigner who doesn't know about a far-off region is still uncalled for no matter how you look at it, because then Iris is coming off as culturally insensitive... sort of a mild version of Trip, in a way.

Anyway, Iris' catchphrase can be harder for some of us to stomach since we know just how awesome Ash can be at times (opposed to the original series where we saw only what the other characters were seeing, plus Ash's actions from the beginning pretty much justified Misty having a bad start with him and scolding him for later antics), but BW rarely allows the opportunity for Ash to show just how experienced he really is. Again, I fault the writers there. Their motivation to make the series some bizarro modern version of Kanto plus being different for the sake of being different really screws Ash over in many ways, so I'm not cool with the writers tooling around with the formula to make Ash more of an idiot than he ought to be just so Iris can have an "excuse" to tease him.

And like I said before, previous girls' catchphrases had a point; they existed to represent the essence of their personalities. Iris' catchphrase only goes as deep as displaying irony in that she's just as immature - and more so than, imo - as Ash. But her actions beyond her catchphrase already illustrate that irony, so there's really no need for the "you're such a kid!" that she still tends to use at inappropriate times.

But "no need to worry!" was a core aspect of Dawn's characterization from the very beginning; I doubt her development without the catchphrase would have as much meaning to it. I see no such potential from Iris' catchphrase. For some people, it displays how funny and cute and witty she is with her teasing. For people like me, it displays how ignorant, hypocritical, unfunny, and overly critical she is.

Therein lies the problem: the catchphrase portrays Iris in a way that can be interpreted in vastly different ways. With Dawn's catchphrase, the interpretation of her character was more or less unanimous, I believe.

Now hold on a second! WHO's to say that Iris's catch phrase does not have any point in the show. It is essentially a part of her character and a very small part at that. By showing that she sees herself as a big shot is very justified because when it comes 99 straight win streak that she had you can not deny that Iris practically WAS a big shot. Back then she had a good relation ship with her Pokemon and had never experienced a loss. The point it has to her character development is that this is the completely justifiable reason she thinks she knows better than the average kid.

When the Don battle tournament she is using it on others which really shows how childish she is outside of what she thinks. But even then the phrase is nothing more that childish teasing the only one who takes it seriously is Langley who is her rival. It is early so we can not be sure but I expect this to change later on in the series.

So yeah , if feel the need to look deeper than you have to the phrase does have significance. And for those of you just taking it by face value it is nothing more than teasing.

Really it seems what you most of you actually find annoying is Iris herself not the catchphrase. While that is all right if you just in general hate her or dislike her in this thread most of your complaints just simply do not exist in-show. No seriously some you are either confusing fan interpretations of Iris for canon or just reading too deep into every little think she does. :l

It is one thing to hate a catchphrase and state that but to put the blame on the character is strange enough in context o_O) very childish of you.

I do not find any catchphrases annoying. (well "Pathetic" almost became a first but still it has an unintentional humor value for me XP) ANY catchphrase will get a bit grating at some point but that is a given.

Last edited:
This thread isn't to debate the point of one of the character's catchphrases. It's to post your opinion on which one is more annoying and why. Kindly remain on topic, everyone.

I prefer Dawn's phrase over Iris's any day as I get to add more lines to it for the lulz (Ex. Release the Bogus, I'm gonna rule Pop Star, etc). Besides, Iris's phrase spells hypocrisy all over.

Is Iris's a catchphrase? I consider it a cliched taunt.

I've heard worse. Both are tolerable.

I find Iris's catchphrase/taunt more annoying, because a kid going "You're such a kid" sounds like they're trying to appear more grown-up than they actually are. It fits in with her character (or at least my understanding of her character, based off of the first 26 episodes), but basing it on catchphrases alone it's way more annoying.

Not that that is saying much coming from me, as I didn't find Dawn's annoying at all.

Both are enough to make one cram a hammer in one's head. When ever Dawn said her catch phase it didn't always seem like the appriopriate time to say that when all you did was worry. And there is no need for Iris to always say hers when no one else really gave a damn. If you don't like the folks you're with, get yo crap and go.

At least No Need to Worry is uplifting and cheerful - a positive catchphrase. You're such a kid sounds like a letdown.

Back
Top Bottom