• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Is The Best Pokegirl For Ash?

GeminiAngel87

#TeamAsh #TeamMay #TeamCilan #TeamMallow
Reaction score
Misty, May, Dawn, Iris or Serena?

This is what I am asking; I don't want to know YOUR OPINION on who you think is the best pokegirl for Ash based on who your favorite is, I want to know your un-bias opinion on who you think is the best girl for Ash based on information gathered and seen from the beginning of Ash's journey to the present.

I know that it can be very hard to be un-bias in something like this, but I am very curious to know these opinions. I promise to do my best to be un-bias in my opinion on this very matter; lets just hope I don't screw it up lol. :D

- GeminiAngel87 :D

Last edited:
Based on information gathered, what makes you think that Serena is the worst match for him?

Based on information gathered, what makes you think that Serena is the worst match for him?

I actually don't think Serena is the worst girl for him, in my opinion that spot goes to another girl. I want to explain that the way the girls are numbered are not how I rank them or anything because I have my opinion already who I think is best which is coming later today. I just put them in order of when they appeared in the Anime is all. I promise you that I do not think Serena is the worst for him.

You know when I asked this question I had my answer figured out but I have had time to think about it and I know now that it has slightly changed so forgive me if I end up not making sense on some points. Now before I start let me say that I am a Pokeshipper through and through but I will not let that affect my answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I asked who is the best girl for Ash not based on my favorite, well my favorite Pokegirl is May, and my OTP ship is Pokeshipping so in a way my answer is not so complicated. so lets start!

The girl I think is Best for Ash is Dawn. now I'll tell you why I feel that way.
For starters Dawn and Ash are best friends (Misty and him are too, but I'll get to that later) and though I never saw any real hard evidence that either one liked the other as more then a friend I know that best friends can become something more if given the chance. it has happened to me so I know it can happen; like Ash has a never give up attitude, Dawn is the no need to worry type. both are optimistic, they only get mad when they are pushed and it's very rare and they have great chemistry. they have a way of cheering people up and some might believe that they are too alike but I don't think so; Dawn is girly but she's not afraid to get dirty and she'll follow Ash into danger because she knows she can help not because she's worried, she's not the sit on the sidelines and watch kind of girl. Ash is a boy through and through but he has a sensitive side and he too is not the sit on the sidelines type of guy. Dawn would be able to keep Ash's head from getting to big, but encourage him too and Ash can do the same for Dawn; they bicker but they make up and they'll not afraid to tease each other either. In a textbook way Ash and Dawn are a perfect match for each other so she is the best girl for him and vice versa.

However 'Best' does not mean 'Right' or 'Meant' for each other.

I.) When I think of May and Ash, I see siblings like an slightly older brother teaching his sister about Pokemon. honestly I think Ash always wanted siblings and I believe he got it in the form of May, Max, Clemont and Bonnie.

II.) When I think of Iris and Ash, I see friends; honestly I never liked how Iris treated Ash and that's a huge red mark for her in my book but other then that she was an awesome character and I miss her. I know I said friends can become more if given the chance but in all honesty it just wouldn't work for Ash and Iris because while Ash never hid the fact that he was essentially a kid, Iris tried to act all mature but essentially she was a kid just like Ash. honestly hiding ones self is not a good thing; at least Dawn, May and Misty never hid who they were deep inside.

III.) Now like I said before I don't think Serena is the worst girl for Ash however I have my reasons why I don't think she is the best. for starters she's like Iris in the way she hides who she is. in the beginning Serena didn't really have a goal and quite honestly she came off a bit of an airhead; however she began to grow on me and I knew she was a lot different then I originally thought. like take how snarky she was in the second episode after her Rhyhorn training, that was the Serena that impressed me but then as soon as she met up with Ash, she went all mushy and shy around him and in that moment my perception of her changed. the only times we ever saw that snarky side to her was towards Clemont or other's and like her sweeter side was only reserved for Ash and Bonnie. what's wrong with having a strong female; honestly, not taking into account how she treated the mirror Ash, I simply loved Mirror Serena. Serena can cook, bake, sew and she's extremely girly much more girly then dawn, but I don't think Serena is Ash's type.

IV.) Misty is someone who I believe is Right for Ash and vice versa; she is his type at least in my opinion and I will always stick to that. I feel they are right for each other, not because of nostalgia or because I am a Pokeshipper but because they just seem to fit, they are not boring and they would never be; they love battling and Pokemon and like Dawn she would keep his head from getting to big but support him even if he messes up and say what you want but though it was subtle on her part Misty likes Ash and he likes her; it was always natural between them and they never noticed it and they would only get embarrassed, upset, or be in denial when third parties would mention it.

That naturalness is something I feel is missing from Ash and Serena, it just seems like it's being forced half the time and in a way it is because the writers gave Serena that crush on Ash.

You can say that Ash and Serena were a destined meeting; but you can also say that for Misty & Ash because they were two kids who for the most part were each other's first friends even though they started off a little rocky. I do not believe that Ash and Serena met more then that one time after he helped her out of the forest considering that he didn't even remember her and when he did it was 'the girl with the straw hat'; but I do find Ash and Serena's interactions cute but that's about it. they seem more friends then anything and that might just be all they will ever be and for all I know Ash and Misty will always remain friends as well, because not a single one of us can predict what will happen until it happens.

One last thing, I do hope for the writers sake that they give Ash and Serena a goodbye that will please the Amourshippers because if they don't I don't think the fans will ever forgive them.
----------------------------------------
So this is what I think and of course I can't wait to hear from more of you. remember this is a friendly discussion on opinions not a hate war on the different ships or the Pokegirls. thank you. :D

Peace PokeFan's!

I thought I would give this shipping stuff a try. :X3:

I don't know why, but I always thought the idea of Ash and May together being plausible; probably because she had a fairly competent contest team while Ash had the traditional regional tournament team. The two also had a lot in common with both being klutzy novices starting out. She just seems like the person he can identify with the most. Dawn was the same way as starting off as an incompetent novice, but I never really saw her and Ash as a couple. Their relationship made them seem more like they were just really good friends. Also, I see her being closer in a relationship with her contest rivals than with Ash himself.

In an unbiased view (and yes, I am trying my darned hardest here), Iris herself could also be a close match for Ash, but not as close as May. The two don't have too much in common but she really does care for his well-being in the worst situations. There's also that stereotype of a person teasing the person they like, and going with that, she could have had a thing for him.

While Serena did show some feelings, I don't see the two together as a good couple. I don't know why. I don't hate the character or even dislike her, but I just can't put my finger on it. It could be what she's into in terms of her goals. That's not the fairest observation to make, but that's the closest thing I can come up with. I guess another thing is that she actually shows obvious feelings for him, unlike the previous companions. Since he is oblivious to those feelings, I don't see the two as any sort of true pairing.

However, of all of Ash's female companions, Misty is the one I always find being a perfect pairing for Ash. Again, I am going to refrain from any biases as the original Pokemon anime is my favorite; let me clarify that I am not a Misty fan. I do not hate her or dislike her but she is not my favorite female companion in the series. Still, when you see how their relationship evolved, it went from hostile to eventually becoming close friends to something that felt more than them being just friends. With Ash's other female companions, they always seemed to get off on friendly terms from the start (with the exception of Iris). She's never seemed to be interested in any of the male characters that showed interest in her. For some reason, I see Misty as the best female companion for Ash.

Man, for a long time, it has been Ash x Misty, but now I'm swaying towards Ash x Serena!

And on top of that, its also been literally 14 years since Misty was written off the anime back in 2002. She's now been gone for over 70% of the animes run, so its hard to imagine the writers going back to something from a decade and a half ago over the current girl.

Misty, May, Dawn, Iris or Serena?

This is what I am asking; I don't want to know YOUR OPINION on who you think is the best pokegirl for Ash based on who your favorite is, I want to know your un-bias opinion on who you think is the best girl for Ash based on information gathered and seen from the beginning of Ash's journey to the present.

I know that it can be very hard to be un-bias in something like this, but I am very curious to know these opinions. I promise to do my best to be un-bias in my opinion on this very matter; lets just hope I don't screw it up lol. :D

- GeminiAngel87 :D
Serena, WITHOUT A Doubt; Because
A. they Get along MUCH better than ANY of the OTHER Pokegirls;
B. Ash Invited her to come along with him, INSTEAD of her just inviting herself
C. She was the VERY first Girl to Meet Ash, YEARS before Misty
D. She never Got herself(which Bonnie and Iris got shocked by Him) nor her Bike(like Misty, May and Dawn) Electrocuted by Pikachu when they first met.
E. They Don't fight a lot, and enjoy being with each other.
F. They Both have Missing Dads
G. They BOTH Cross-dress(Ash has done so various times through his journey, and Serena Crossdressed as Ash)
H. They Both got Torched by their VERY First Fire-type Pokemon(Serena Got Flamed by Fennekin during the Poke-vision Episode, and Ash's Charizard often used flamethrower on him)
I. They BOTH Take off their hats before Eating
J. Both have Changed their Hats through their Journeys
K. Their 1st Fighting Type Pokemon Both COINCIDENTALLY Stole Ash's Hat
L. They Both Wore Different Outfits traveling through their Home Regions.

• Both have traveled through their home regions in two different traveling outfits.

• Both have traveled through their home regions in two different traveling outfits.

If I have to give an unbiased opinion, then I think I can't pick one of them. It would actually be a three-way tie between Serena, Misty and May.

- Serena because I find her crush on Ash to be really cute. And Amourshipping is one of the sweetest pairings out there. The way she knew Ash a little from their childhood reminds me of Palletshipping which is my biggest OTP for Ash.
And they had lots of adorable moments in the anime. Plus, loads of hints from Serena's side. And Ash didn't exactly looked disgusted or anything when she kissed him goodbye on that elevator. So I am guessing that itself shows he might like her a little too.

- Misty because I think they would make a very mature and realistic type of couple, now that both of them have matured a lot since Kanto. And they both like battling which is a huge plus. And the Alolan episodes showed that they are certainly still very good friends. So there is a lot of scope for the pairing. Plus, the only Pokegirl Ash ever liked back, she's got that going for her.

- May because although I love Contestshipping, I think Ash and May are a lot more similar. And people with similar personalities obviously tend to get along better. I think if they ever dated, they would have a very balanced relationship. It might seem a little boring and too nice with only the occasional bickering, but it would be very healthy and set a good example for others.

I like Dawn, but I always just saw her and Ash as very good friends. Maybe I just missed something.

As for Iris, my problem isn't with her. But with the fact that she didn't got to see much of the real Ash as he was weakened in BW. If Iris is brought back in a series where Ash is strong again, then I'll judge it based on their interactions at that time. Till then, I don't want to say anything. BW Ash felt more like mirror!Ash. And Iris like mirror!Serena. I don't want to judge their relationship based on that.

Misty and Iris are out on account of their abuse and belittling of Ash, as well as their general maturity level

Meanwhile the rest are up and coming Contest stars of various styles

Therefore the only girl for Ash is the next big adventure

:p
Why are they out based on maturity level? Ash has the mental age and indeed capacity of a 5 year old.

Why are they out based on maturity level? Ash has the mental age and indeed capacity of a 5 year old.
"You're such a kid for not knowing something you had no way of knowing because you've never encountered it before." - Iris, multiple times

Ash is still more mature than both of them and at least had the chance to mature where Misty literally became a mother and stopped contributing to the plot once she stole Togepi from Ash

"You're such a kid for not knowing something you had no way of knowing because you've never encountered it before." - Iris, multiple times

God, I always hated this about Iris. I've encountered a lot of this in real life myself, and it's super condescending and annoying, so hearing it from Iris just made me cringe. No way would I want Ash to pair up with her.

By calculation I say none of them.

Misty and Iris are kind of abusive towards him.
May and Dawn are more his friends than a love interest.
Serena... only has that crush going for her and it is one sided.
Honorable mention Lillie is the same boat as with May and Dawn.

The best boy for Ash however... has to go to Gladion. Those two have chemistry despite having traits that are of yin and yang. (Ash is a goof ball to Gladion's seriousness.)

Not to mention the way Ash caught Gladion during the Necrozma arc is one of the most romantic catches I seen in the show...I don't think any of the girls had that kind of luck.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom