• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Is The Best Pokegirl For Ash?

Misty or Serena. They are the only two that make canon sense, Dawn, May etc dont make sense to me
EDIT: Added clarification

Last edited:
1. Hikari/Dawn

I think Hikari would have been the best girl before BW happened when she seemed to care more about sucking up to Iris and fitting in than Satoshi's feelings. I have noticed that they have really great communication and chemistry but only when Takeshi/Brock is there as a third wheel for some reason. Their communication was kind of bad in the episode when Takeshi got sick too. This would be something they would have to work on if they ended up in a romantic relationship.

The cheerleader thing is unique to this relationship because it shows that she believes in Satoshi's abilites. Compare to the other girls who sit on the bench and either criticizes him or act passive. Hikari isn't afraid to stand out and goes an extra mile for Satoshi's sake.

2. Serena

Serena's crush on Satoshi is really cute but we also don't see Satoshi reciprocating her feelings. He gets nervous and embarrased sometimes like when he rubs his nose but I'm not sure if he likes her back because of it.

Serena and Satoshi probably has less chemistry than most of the other girls and they also have little in common. He also seemed less interested in Serena's hobbies like in the episode when he said he would rather train than try out Pokevision with her.

Compare this to how interested Satoshi was in DP and even used some of Hikari's contests moves in the league. The problem with Pearlshipping is that there is less evidence that Hikari likes Satoshi romantically while Amourshipping is set in stone even if it might be one-sided.

Serena also only works with XY Satoshi, she wouldn't work with OS, BW or SM Satoshi.

3. Haruka/May

They have some communication problems but most of them were solved on-screen. I think the biggest issue with Advanceshipping is that Haruka is kind of dependent on Satoshi, he is more like a mentor almost in a similar way that Takeshi is to Satoshi like when he saved her during the Manaphy movie and when he comforted her when she missed the ferry. I think it was interesting how he said he could relate to her in BF because they had similar battle styles. The moment when they swim in the sea together with Manaphy also feels romantic. Then there is also the shared ribbon.

4. Misty/Kasumi

Pokeshipping is probably the least one-sided relationship but the problem is that they have the biggest communication problems. Satoshi expresses romantic and mabye even sexual interest in some of the early uncensored Japanese episodes like the Bikini episode and the Gastly episode when he saw her in a yukata. Question is how much he actually respects her as a person?

I also find it concerning how jealous they both are as soon as either of them talk to the opposite sex. Especially during Orange Island and OS when Kasumi would fool around with older guys in order to make Satoshi jealous. Kasumi wouldn't work with XY Satoshi.

5. Lana

I don't think Satoshi has any romantic hints with Lillie, Mallow or Iris. There are some hints that Lana has a crush on him but it was too underdeveloped.

6. Iris

Few hints and big communication issues. I think she would have worked better with OS Satoshi. The cheerleader moment felt more platonic since Cilan was also involved.They also don't have much in common despite the fact that they are both battlers, take the moment when he steps on the flower to catch Dunsparce and she overreacts.

7. Mallow

She mostly feels like a background character in the episodes she is alone with Satoshi.

8. Lillie

I don't think Satoshi is mature enough to support her. I also don't get the feeling that she specifically goes to him for support like Haruka does. She is actually very independent if you think about it since she solves most of her problems by herself even though she has a harsh past.

Last edited:
I used to be a hardcore Ash/May shipper to the point of hating Ash/Dawn on principal, but that was literally a decade ago. At this point, both Ash/May and Ash/Dawn are just mildly cute to me.

Now I have like a weird like/dislike with Amourshipping.

On one hand I think it is kind of cute, on the other hand, the actual execution kinda sucks. I'm left like... liking the idea of it.

I would've liked Ash to be closer with her/pay her more attention... not even romantically, just in general. There could've been more for them to bond over and more things that they relate and connect with.

Plus I would've liked more complexity to Serena's crush. Examining it more closely to help with her character development, and having the nature of it change over time to become more mature and less all-consuming. I feel like that happened to a certain extent, but there could've been a bunch more.

Last edited:
May, misty dawn and serena. Please don't bring the worst iris

Koharu because she's anime-exclusive character and isn't tied to any specific region/generation like all the previous girls.

Though I'd rather ship her and Gou.

Honestly? Not a one. Ash/Satoshi is a ten-year-old who doesn't think about girls romantically in any way. He wasn't designed to.

- His questionable responses to the more mature Misty/Kasumi in the Japanese anime were gags intended for the male audience as a means of making him a relate-able figure in more subtle aspects.

- His relationships with other female companions immediately post-Misty/Kasumi are a yardstick of those characters' growth over time: May/Haruka and Dawn/Hikari are clear examples of this, both saw tremendous growth during their time with him. And he respects that.

- Iris's often abrasive relationship meanwhile suggests a preexisting independence and disinterest. She is incredibly driven and is therefore perceived as the least eligible because she's very much her own person.

- Serena was cast as a romantically-minded individual who matured and grew to the point of imposing that fateful kiss on a whim because she assumed Ash/Satoshi would reciprocate her feelings. Girls mature faster than boys, after all.

- Lillie is another instance of one who matured admirably. However, since Satoshi/Ash regressed in personality--becoming more of an "icon" and less of a character--she made due and carved her own path without his "Ash-ness" to aid her. Furthermore, the presence of Suiren/Lana and Mao/Mallow made it that much more difficult to give the spotlight to any one girl during his time in Alola.

I therefore believe the odds of Koharu--an anime-only girl who's Gou's childhood friend--having anything to do with Ash/Satoshi to be incredibly slim. It seems the writers have resolved to pair up Ash/Satoshi with a single true traveling companion this time: a formidable male peer whose great ambition rivals his. However, because both her and Gou may not return come Gen IX's anime adaptation, the possibility of their relationship deepening is quite strong.

(And before you counter with, "but Gou's only ten, too!" remember that he is described as being more serious and we don't quite know how his character development will pan out.)

I am a strong contender for AmourShipping as I find the idea of a relationship between Ash and Serena the most compatible and enjoyable one. I haven't done a whole lot of observing with Serena to begin with, but considering my small amount of exposure, these two still fit perfectly together in my opinion.

The reason I choose this ship specifically is that I find the relationship with Serena very appropriate, it's a quality relationship in which two characters, even though they may not consider themselves together, care for each other in a way that is most pleasing as far as romance goes. I do not focus on shipping much at all, nor do any of my activities involving pokemon revolve around it either, it's just something I think of if brought up to my attention.

Anyways, it's been a while that I have been wanting to make my opinion on a particular form of shipping, and this is basically it.

Misty or Serena. They are the only two that make canon sense, Dawn, May etc dont make sense to me
EDIT: Added clarification
Nah Dude! In my opinion (and yes everyone has their own opinion) Misty is way far behind than May and Dawn.
We know she traveled with Ash a lot but that does not mean she is the best or near the spot. In an unbiased way and how we see Pearlshipping, Ash and Dawn acted like true partners rather than just friends, which Misty clearly showed that she wants to keep Ash just as a friend.

If I were to rank the ships, this is the order:
1. Pearlshipping
2. Amourshipping
3. Advanceshipping
(top 3 only)

I used to think Serena was perfect for him but after a while I got tired of how Ash practically ignored her advances most of the time. I want him to get together with a girl that he actually pays attention to beyond just a casual friendship which is why Dawn would be my choice of partner for him.

If I am to look at the question from the female Pokémon side, I would say his Chikoriya/Bayleef, as well as Meloetta. Neither of them is shy about showing how they feel about Ash.

Serena feels like the best pick seeing as she has a crush on him an KISSED HIM but I feel like I want to see him with May for some reason. It just feels right.

I'm torn between Misty, as the OG Pokegirl, and Serena, because of the kiss and being a childhood friend.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom