• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Is Your Target Audience?

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
So obviously, Pokemon is mostly aimed at kids. The games, the show, the TCG, all of them are designed for young people. Now, obviously, many many people in this community are living proof that you don't have to be 10 years old to enjoy Pokemon, but yea.

In my opinion though (and I'm sure many people feel this way), the concept of Pokemon is very easy to convert to a more 'adult' story. My fic for example, has murder, sex, etc.

Some people still target the younger kids, some just write without worrying about it. What do you guys do? Do you keep in mind your audience when you write? Who would you say your audience is?

Well, I aim more for my own age group. The older group. Late teen. I mean, I gave Proton a Seviper Blade Kinfe because I thought it was cool and people would like it.

My audience is veered more towards teenage and adult readers. I can never write children's stories, generally when I do it comes out dull and bland :/ In writing, I like to go free, and that's what I do :D

I write for my fellow pokeshippers.

Age-wise, I keep everything mostly innocent. There are a few sections I wouldn't have a 10 year old read, but for the most part, if they're old enough to be on a message board, they're fine. Besides that, any age.

Last edited:
I aim for the same demographics as myself (15-20 year olds).

I aim more for my own age bracket of late teens, but there isn't much that would really scar a 13-15 year old. As RMD said above: if they are old enough to be on a forum like this, than they should be able to deal with what I say :D

People who like warfare, seeing what happens when pokémon go to war, back stories of major villains.

I don't actually have a target audience. I write for my own amusement, but if I had a target audience it would just be readers.

I don't write for kids, but I try to keep whatever I write from getting to R, even though R would be easier to do than PG-13 in terms of two criminal teams warring.

I don't actually have a target audience. I write for my own amusement, but if I had a target audience it would just be readers.

This, pretty much. I'm pretty mindless about what readers I'm trying to attract. If I do care, my mind says, it will restrict me into a certain mindset, and the finished work just won't be the best it can be.

Anyone who can tolerate crap and large amounts of continuity to other works.

I have no target audience. I write for myself.

...as several others have already said :XD2:

I write as honestly as I can, and if it is too offensive for some (Which I don't think it would be, I've had one mild sex scene, some blood shed, and comic viloence) then they just don't read it.

Just as Kyuu, Zekurom and Kayi have said before me, my target audience is myself.

In respect of target audiences though, one of my idols is J.M. Barrie, the writer of Peter Pan, who wrote a book that could be classified as a children's book but isn't really appropriate for children and yet somehow is one of the most successful books in the world.

I aim for 8-16s. A book that has some humor, some violence, More Humor, some-but only a little-romance wich I have ot yet added, and more Humor, and finnaly, a good portion of Drama.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom