• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who should Ash end up with in the anime?

Who should Ash end up with?

• Misty

Votes: 181 41.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • May

Votes: 77 17.8%
  • Iris

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Other.....

Votes: 106 24.5%

• Total voters
If he has to end up with a girl then it should be Serena. If he ends up with a guy then it should be Gary.
And if he ends up with a Pokemon then it should be Pikachu.
Although I like him with May, Misty, Clemont and others as well.

If he has to end up with a girl then it should be Serena. If he ends up with a guy then it should be Gary.
And if he ends up with a Pokemon then it should be Pikachu.
Although I like him with May, Misty, Clemont and others as well.
If Clemont end up with a girl should be Aria the Kalos Queen

I think this thread should be remade, since it was originally posted back in 2010...long before Serena existed.

Its kind of ironic reading some of the older posts in this thread where people say the writers gave up on shipping, or that Ash would never get a love interest. If only people knew.

I think this thread should be remade, since it was originally posted back in 2010...long before Serena existed.

Its kind of ironic reading some of the older posts in this thread where people say the writers gave up on shipping, or that Ash would never get a love interest. If only people knew.

Maybe it'd be best to restart it in Gen 7, but yeah I think a thread with more options needs to be available. Interesting though Misty has such a lead, even with Gary, Serena and may others etc all grouped into "Other"

Most of the people who voted for Misty aren't even on Bulbagarden anymore. Back towards the end of DP a lot of people were expecting a Misty cameo, but since she didn't appear at all and BW had a clean slate, there was nothing to look forward to for them. Misty hasn't appeared in a decade worth of episodes since Ash came home from the Hoenn league back in 2005, so there really hasn't been anything to say about Pokeshipping in 10 years.

Most of the people who voted for Misty aren't even on Bulbagarden anymore. Back towards the end of DP a lot of people were expecting a Misty cameo, but since she didn't appear at all and BW had a clean slate, there was nothing to look forward to for them. Misty hasn't appeared in a decade worth of episodes since Ash came home from the Hoenn league back in 2005, so there really hasn't been anything to say about Pokeshipping in 10 years.

Question is then, who do you think would be winning if the poll was started again today? ;) Serena is the most heavily hinted at we've had since Misty and Gary.

If its made now, Serena. There's threads like this on Serebii and Serena had the most votes a while back.

If its made now, Serena. There's threads like this on Serebii and Serena had the most votes a while back.

How do we go about creating a new thread? Do we need permission from one of the Admins/Moderators? If so which one do we ask? Is there set rules like "must have been a certain time passed" before they will say yes?

I'd love to make a new thread like this with some new options!

Although I'd like to see him with Gary or Serena (the kid in me still longs for Misty) I think the truth is while the writers might tease us with ship hints Ash is very unlikely to end up with anyone. Far too concerned with Pokemon training to be thinking about girls, not to mention he is only 10, so unlikely to be settling down, he's not even a Teen yet.

Dude, he still doesn't have a love interest. Serena has a crush on him, that is all. She is not the first, nor will she be the last.

Outdated though the thread is, I think the point which most posts made still stands:
But seriously, anyone who honestly thinks Ash will actually end up with someone on the show...I pity them.

Dude, he still doesn't have a love interest. Serena has a crush on him, that is all. She is not the first, nor will she be the last.
:

That is true, but before Serena was introduced did you think anything like this would happen? A pretty blonde girl had a childhood meeting with Ash where she developed a crush on him as kids, she held onto the handkerchief he placed on her knee all these years and handed it back to him, then they met again years later and Serena has huge admiration for Ash and constantly asks for his approval on how she looks (like when she wore her new outfit, dresses, the Pokevision outfits). On top of that a large chunk of Serena's XY episodes have some related shipping hint for Ash. We've had episodes where Serena thinks she went on a date with Ash, an episode where she might potentially dance with him in a ballroom, we've had dozens of scenes of her blushing over him. To Serena, Ash is her "knight in shining armor" and she thinks he can do no wrong.

If anyone said any of this only 5 years ago, it would have sounded like some fanfiction from some crazed shipper. I don't think anyone ever expected the writers to do something like this, especially this late in the anime series.

The fact that they could have done this with Dawn in DP, but instead just had Dawn have a close friendship with Ash, says a lot. Sometimes I honestly think Dawn was a "testing ground" to see if fans wanted a new Ash ship with a girly female lead, and after the writers saw Ash/Dawn gain a fanbase in DP, they decided to go on step forward with it with Serena.

Aww Scott, you've become a real little shipper haven't you? :) I'm happy for you that you've finally found something which you're not bitching about!

As for the content of your post, I agree that Serena is little more than a fanfiction OC at this point. I don't think there's any evidence however that Hikari of all people was testing ground for this horrible development. I also don't know about "this late in the anime series". 15 years ago we thought Johto was late so... And why wouldn't they do this now as compared to in the past? Truth is, we have seen plenty of girls fawn over Satoshi in the past, the difference here is that the girl is one of his companions. I don't think this will make even an iota of difference to the end outcome.

As for the content of your post, I agree that Serena is little more than a fanfiction OC at this point. I don't think there's any evidence however that Hikari of all people was testing ground for this horrible development.

Dawn was introduced 10 years into the anime, by that point a whole new younger generation of kids were growing up with the show who had never seen the OS or most of AG. The writers promotion of Dawn as a co-star and the Ash/Dawn friendship constantly in all the DP promotional materials, adverts, the songs sang by the VA's, and in the show itself obviously made Pearlshipping popular despite Dawn having no canon crush on Ash. Unlike May with Contestshipping, Dawn had no real major rival ship (yeah there was Kenny, but lol), so Dawn wasn't heavily paired up with someone else outside of Ash like May was. However the writers probably figured it was too late in DP to make Dawn a shipping interest for Ash, so instead chose to keep a strong friendship between them until the end. The writers must have noticed that younger kids were interested in seeing Ash paired up with a female companion again after them not doing it in so long since Misty.

Serena in many ways is very similar to Dawn especially with the girliness, fashion, the hair, her likes/dislikes, etc. So this time from the start the writers made Serena's crush on Ash canon (the whole childhood flashback, Serena's entire character revolves around liking Ash), and made it a thing from the start. Amourshipping is a major part of Serena's character to the point where you can't even describe her without talking about it. None of the other girls were defined by their ship.

Fun fact: Serena was introduced in the anime in 2013, which was exactly a bit more than 10 years after Misty left in 2002. The writers waited an entire decade before making a new girl have a crush on Ash this badly. A whole new younger generation of kids have been growing up with the anime in recent years, so they're free to pair Ash up with whoever they want. And yeah, it is odd they're doing it this "late." Serena was introduced in the 17th year of the anime for goodness sakes. By the time the XY anime ends the show will be 20 years old as a whole. Even if/when Serena leaves the anime at the end of the gen, the fact that the writers even made such a shipping subplot so evident is a big deal in itself. So even if it goes nowhere, Amourshipping actually exists.

Been shipping Ash and Misty since I was 7.
I'm now 25, so yeah, that ship will probably last yet another 20 years and beyond. XD

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom