• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who should Ash end up with in the anime?

Who should Ash end up with?

• Misty

Votes: 181 41.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • May

Votes: 77 17.8%
  • Iris

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Other.....

Votes: 106 24.5%

• Total voters
I am sorry for all the PokeShippers, but Misty liking Ash was not the intention of the writers at all. In fact, in one of Takeshi Shudo's blog entries, he states that Misty did not have a crush on Ash and it will never be more than friendship. It is 100% authentic. Sorry PokeShippers.
See here it's translated: Entry 2 - or here http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f300/pokéshipping-34915/index227.html#post1251369

(http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/takeshi-shudos-blogs-71914/)

So I am going to have to say Ash x Serena has the most chance of happening now.

He won't end up with anyone. Sorry, I'm just saying it like it is from the looks of things. He'll probably get married to his never-ending journey though, and the youth he sucks dry from the young maidens he travels with aids him in his quest to stay at the ripe young age of 10.

Seriously, though, he should end up with Misty. Both of them had perfect chemistry together, and Misty knew how to keep Ash's stupidity from becoming overblown by keeping him in check, but was also caring enough to know when it was time to praise him for his good deeds, but reprimand him for his mistakes, so that he could become stronger. Really, Misty was the perfect complement to Ash in every way I can think of, tbh.

May has Drew, Dawn has Kenny, Iris has Cilan, and Serena is just a cheap retconned childhood friend made to supposedly like Ash (it isn't happening).

Last edited:
I'm kinda interested in knowing the age difference of people who voted

I think the older posters who grew up with the original series (Like Your Truly here) mostly voted for Misty

That's not true at all. Mostly everyone who likes other Ash ships started watching with Kanto.

not "mostly". Only few of them
Most original fans are poke shippers.

LOL My gosh some of you Pokeshippers are either sore losers due to the fact that Serena may like him more than friends or full of themselves cuz of the past. I've been an Ash fan / Pokemon fan since Kanto and I'll be honest with yah, I was glad she left cuz she was too mean to him, I prefer nice girls like Dawn / May / Serena for him. I didn't seriously get into shipping till Pearlshipping came into the picture back in the D / P series, I shipped other Ash pairings besides that one but I didn't get into it till Pearlshipping came, now I'm a major Ash / Serena fan.

Personally i doubt Ash will end up with anyone being too oblivious and immature to grasp concept of love and commitment in relationship with someone else focusing forever just on traveling, catching new pokemon and becoming strongest trainer in world.
But to answer the question even though im not pokeshipper, based on amount of hints and tension present between him and females if writers ever decide to have Ash end up with girl in my opinion Misty would make most sense.

Because i felt they were most compatible as companions having perfect level of understanding between themselves through love, moments of annoyance and anger but lot of caring as well relationship. Misty knew how to keep him in check so that glory and overconfidence doesn't hit him in head managing to pull out best of himself through criticism and teasing, while also showing lot of kindness and moral support. Comforting him when being let down, making sure that he get himself into trouble often having fun together, laughing and trying to outmart themselves but in endearing, pleasant to watch way. Having healthy and balanced dynamic between themselves adding for memorable and long lasting impact they left in each other lives.
Along with Misty giving out impression to me how she felt something more than just friendship for Ash through signs of romantic affection she expressed when trying to hide it, jealousy or selfquestioning and shy attitude at times adding for dynamic/fun astmosphere.

Im basing this on past and amount of hints which i found conceivable and logical to support such thesis, but personally as emphasized in beghinning of post if Ash doesn't end up with anyone i wont be surprised or bothered either way.

I am sorry for all the PokeShippers, but Misty liking Ash was not the intention of the writers at all. In fact, in one of Takeshi Shudo's blog entries, he states that Misty did not have a crush on Ash and it will never be more than friendship. It is 100% authentic. Sorry PokeShippers.
See here it's translated: Entry 2 - or here http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f300/pokéshipping-34915/index227.html#post1251369

(http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/takeshi-shudos-blogs-71914/)

So I am going to have to say Ash x Serena has the most chance of happening now.

True, though its well known how. mr. Shudo was getting into clash with other members of writing staff and director over his views and decisions of how he wanted for anime to be constructed expressing frustration and disappointment over not being able to do so.

It always seemed to me how mr. Shudo was in clash with other members of writing staff about this showing how other members aren't against idea of adding little flirting and conflict here and there with romance to enrich character interactions and structure of episode themselves. Which would kinda explain presence of some scenes where Misty blushed like red pepper, showed moment of jealousy over other girls flirting with Ash and trying to deny it when being accused in quite a few episodes and especially in second movie regarding Melody. Even in chronicles when Georgio asked her for a date she blushed saying how there is "someone else" in Japanese version(but its debatable to who she referred). Or signs of romance which were clearly present regarding Drew and May containing denial, blushing and intolerance in afflicting way.

Of course this is up to personal interpretation and what person might view as sign of simple friendship or allegation toward character, but i figure disputes between writers themselves might be reason behind some of scenes involving character in question giving out different impression of what Shudo stated being against idea of any romance in this show himself. Something which doesn't have to apply to other writers too.

I think the older posters who grew up with the original series (Like Your Truly here) mostly voted for Misty

That's not true at all. Mostly everyone who likes other Ash ships started watching with Kanto.

LOL My gosh some of you Pokeshippers are either sore losers due to the fact that Serena may like him more than friends or full of themselves cuz of the past. I've been an Ash fan / Pokemon fan since Kanto and I'll be honest with yah, I was glad she left cuz she was too mean to him, I prefer nice girls like Dawn / May / Serena for him. I didn't seriously get into shipping till Pearlshipping came into the picture back in the D / P series, I shipped other Ash pairings besides that one but I didn't get into it till Pearlshipping came, now I'm a major Ash / Serena fan.

We all know the last episode will be Ash returning to Oak's lab. Who is he likely to meet there? Gary. Who is he likely to battle? Gary. Who is he likely to end up with? Gary.

Therefore, Palletshipping is canon :D nothing gets between childhood friends.

not to be taken seriously, but we all know Palletshipping is canon

LOL My gosh some of you Pokeshippers are either sore losers due to the fact that Serena may like him more than friends or full of themselves cuz of the past.

I don't think you have room to talk, you have just as little proof as either Misty_Girl or ThePalletTownKid, if not less. Can't you debunk a point without insulting somebody?

LOL My gosh some of you Pokeshippers are either sore losers due to the fact that Serena may like him more than friends or full of themselves cuz of the past.

I don't think you have room to talk, you have just as little proof as either Misty_Girl or ThePalletTownKid, if not less. Can't you debunk a point without insulting somebody?

I said some, meaning not all Pokeshippers are this bad. However, your one to talk..Some one here just insulted May / Dawn / Serena pairings pretty much due to loving that pairing. I'm all for being supportive of pairings, let's not go nuts here and insult pairings left and right just cuz yours didn't happen.

What does little proof mean? I never said my pairings were canon, I didn't bash other pairings in the process while giving my opinion though. I'm on the Ash / Serena support system for now till the X and Y series ends.

I said some, meaning not all Pokeshippers are this bad. However, your one to talk..Some one here just insulted May / Dawn / Serena pairings pretty much due to loving that pairing. I'm all for being supportive of pairings, let's not go nuts here and insult pairings left and right just cuz yours didn't happen.

What does little proof mean? I never said my pairings were canon, I didn't bash other pairings in the process while giving my opinion though. I'm on the Ash / Serena support system for now till the X and Y series ends.

Insulting pairings is better than insulting people. Also I read most of the last 5 pages and I didn't see any insulting towards any pairing.

ThePalletTownKid says most older fans are older, and you didn't show proof of otherwise.

Insulting pairings is better than insulting people. Also I read most of the last 5 pages and I didn't see any insulting towards any pairing.

ThePalletTownKid says most older fans are older, and you didn't show proof of otherwise.

I didn't bash any one here, I said Pokeshippers, did not name any one. Go back and re read, look at PKMN post, he pretty much insulted Serena's character and the pairing and that's what ticked me off.

I didn't bash any one here, I said Pokeshippers, did not name any one. Go back and re read, look at PKMN post, he pretty much insulted Serena's character and the pairing and that's what ticked me off.

I assume this is the post you're referring to?

He won't end up with anyone. Sorry, I'm just saying it like it is from the looks of things. He'll probably get married to his never-ending journey though, and the youth he sucks dry from the young maidens he travels with aids him in his quest to stay at the ripe young age of 10.

Seriously, though, he should end up with Misty. Both of them had perfect chemistry together, and Misty knew how to keep Ash's stupidity from becoming overblown by keeping him in check, but was also caring enough to know when it was time to praise him for his good deeds, but reprimand him for his mistakes, so that he could become stronger. Really, Misty was the perfect complement to Ash in every way I can think of, tbh.

May has Drew, Dawn has Kenny, Iris has Cilan, and Serena is just a cheap retconned childhood friend made to supposedly like Ash (it isn't happening).

This was not a jab at Serena so much as the way the writers retconned her into Ash's childhood, and as for the pairing, he's just not expecting it to go anywhere.

That wasn't a jab at Serena? What do you consider one than if not? He pretty took a stab at the shippers too, saying it won't happen. That's what annoys me, this isn't the first time Pokeshippers insulted other Ash pairings just cuz it may get in the way of Pokeshipping, I shipped Pearlshipping too and they'd keep coming into the Pearlshipping thread and debate with us and what's hints and saying it's not going to happen blah blah blah. Lets not forget the little Pokeshippers V.S Advancedshippers War back when May was first introduced, it's always been like this. I'm sorry if I sounded rude but this not my first time dealing with some mean Pokeshippers, again I said some cuz I know not all of them are bad but this is starting to annoy me. Now some are bashing both Serena and the pairing just cuz they feel Pokeshipping should be crowned King of Pokemon shippings, it's like what the heck?

A jab at Serena would be more like "She sucks, all she does is fall over herself, she doesn't deserve to be a part of Ash's history, I hate her."

Saying "it won't happen" is also not a jab at the shipping, the writers have never been known for romance beyond hints. If, during the BF arc, I said "Contestshipping won't ever go anywhere beyond hints", would you consider that a jab at the pairing and/or its fans?

I know some Pokeshippers tend to insult other shippings, but he didn't insult anything or anyone. I'll quote it for you again:

Serena is just a cheap retconned childhood friend made to supposedly like Ash (it isn't happening).

Aside from perhaps the cheap bit (which is more so referring to the way she's written into Ash's plot, as I said before. He doesn't much like the writing, and for good reason, too.), what is so insulting about this? If anything, he was insulting the writers for coming up with the idea to retcon her into Ash's childhood, NOT Serena herself. People say worse things about other characters and no one bats an eye. Even if you honestly believe Ash and Serena will be paired up together in canon, it's not like he has no reason to believe it won't happen. Remember when May and Drew became a couple (I don't.)?

You can defend him or her all you want for reasons of your own, could be this could be that. Could it be an insult to the writers? He or she also said that it also wouldn't happen, not in my opinion but it would never happen. How is that not an insult towards the pairing? He or she never said any thing about the writers in that post at all.

You can defend him or her all you want for reasons of your own, could be this could be that. Could it be an insult to the writers? He or she also said that it also wouldn't happen, not in my opinion but it would never happen. How is that not an insult towards the pairing? He or she never said any thing about the writers in that post at all.

I wouldn't be defending him if he actually insulted, which didn't happen.

Again, just saying "It would never happen" is not an insult. Have you ever seen the writers romantically pair up two characters that are not two COTDs? It's not an insult because he is just stating what his thoughts. Unless XY is the very last saga (which it's not), there is really no chance of Serena being paired up with Ash, anything could happen throughout her journey. She could move on to someone else, she could get over it, etc.

No, he didn't say a thing about the writers, I'm just saying his post seemed MORE like it was aimed at them than Serena, not that it actually was.

It's really wasn't a jab at Serena, but more at the people who are running the Anime. Who keeps adding new faces for the sake of adding new faces.

It's really wasn't a jab at Serena, but more at the people who are running the Anime. Who keeps adding new faces for the sake of adding new faces.

This explained it better than I ever could! Serena is just going to be replaced, which gives the non-shippers less reason to support it. There is no need for new faces constantly.

If Ash doesn't end up with Misty, then he could end up with Giselle.

This explained it better than I ever could! Serena is just going to be replaced, which gives the non-shippers less reason to support it. There is no need for new faces constantly.

If Ash doesn't end up with Misty, then he could end up with Giselle.

Than say writers, people like myself could take it the wrong way. You have no idea how many rude Pokeshippers I've come across.

Yes, if they don't let any one stay beyound that series than yes, you could say he could up with just about any one.

Fun fact, even people who haven't ever shipped before are starting to ship Ash x Serena, heck Advancedshippers and Pearlshippers are starting to come together for this pairing, maybe it's the child hood friend ship they have that's doing this? Many love that type of pairing. So, that's what I find funny, after all these years of Ash pairings even though they would keep switching girls this is the one a lot of shippers and even none shippers are coming together for.

Edit;

Have I seen other pairings besides random of the day characters? How about Contestshipping? That was given pretty big hints over the course of the AG series.

I'm not making a jab at Serena as a character: I'm merely pointing out how the writers have written her character. This writing strategy seems to have been employed with Serena's character in order to draw more older viewers into becoming more interested with the XY Series.

Guys, like I said, Ash will sadly end up with no one, though. I say this because of the pattern I've noticed this anime has taken: it's never-ending (800+ episodes already), and sadly, I don't expect Ash to win any regional League or ever become a Pokemon Master. All of Ash's newer companions are eventually replaced for newer ones every 3-4 years to make way for newer ones that coincide with the release of newer games, while the older ones have all been replaced (the only other characters to remain from the OS are Team Rocket--believe me, I don't know why). The anime has run for almost 16 years now (15 in the US), and there's sadly no sign of it ending yet. The anime won't end until the games do, which could be a very, very long time from now.

I'm not making a jab at Serena as a character: I'm merely pointing out how the writers have written her character. This writing strategy seems to have been employed with Serena's character in order to draw more older viewers into becoming more interested with the XY Series.

Guys, like I said, Ash will sadly end up with no one, though. I say this because of the pattern I've noticed this anime has taken: it's never-ending (800+ episodes already), and sadly, I don't expect Ash to win any regional League or ever become a Pokemon Master. All of Ash's newer companions are eventually replaced for newer ones every 3-4 years to make way for newer ones that coincide with the release of newer games, while the older ones have all been replaced (the only other characters to remain from the OS are Team Rocket--believe me, I don't know why). The anime has run for almost 16 years now (15 in the US), and there's sadly no sign of it ending yet. The anime won't end until the games do, which could be a very, very long time from now.

Traveling companions - gets replaced every few years and will have no reason to be shipped.
Gary - unreplacable childhood friend. Ash's flashback in the last episode of BW had Gary in it.

It's really sad to see that nobody is accepting the fact Ash could end up with Gary. Shipping or not, the female companions get replaced and forgotten -Misty and May has not made one appearance ever since. Shipping or not, Gary's connection to Prof Oak itself can provide more than enough excuse if he ever appears again. Gary has plausible reasons to end up with Ash - even if it weren't shipping. None of the other girls has reason to end up with Ash - because they get replaced. Traveling companions get replaced. Childhood friends never get replaced. Serena? We'll have to see all of XY to say anything about her, but like I said, Childhood friends never get replaced, so Serena might have a good chance. But we'll have to see more episodes.

Shipping or not, it's gonna be Gary.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom